SimBox NG

my bones and joints make enough creaking noises so I probably wouldn’t notice a difference. :open_mouth:

4 Likes

That would be 3.0 if I ain’t mistaken.

2 Likes

As long as it isn’t ver 2.5.6.43931, I think we are OK. :grimacing:

(Too soon?)

3 Likes

Get the extinguisher!

4 Likes

Troll, have absolutely loved watching the journey of your SimBox NG. It’s actually what brought me to lurking here in the first place, looking for my ideas for my own stowable simpit. Your talent and ingenuity is awesome!

Would you be willing to share your final outside dimensions? If someone was considering building something similar, is there anything you would suggest doing differently?

1 Like

I’d ask @Troll for a current photo of the SimBox NG but I wouldn’t want to embarrass him if that is where he is storing his extra TP packages… :open_mouth: :wink:

2 Likes

My flying has almost completely ceased (flown two trips since the 27th!), so I’ve had lots of time at home to contemplate building a simpit. My desk keeps getting puddles of drool on it whenever I look at this thread.

Ah, perhaps a drip tray as a side project? :sweat_smile:

Thanks for the praise, @WarPig! I’m blushing :blush:

I’ve had several requests for drawings. I should make an effort to clean up the ones I have and post them.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want you to take trouble for drawings, which might divert effort from your latest project.
Just curious what basic external dimensions you arrived at. One can make an educated guess from the photos, but curious how many feet or centipedes long it wound up being.

Here are some basic dimensions.
The sidewalls are made from 3030 and the center section from 4040 extruded alu beams.

5 Likes

Wow, thank you very much! I would have guessed 4’ long, it’s nearly 5’!
Appreciate you sharing very much.

1 Like

Yes, and I wish I made it a little longer, so I could lean the seat just a bit more backwards…

1 Like

“…like an F-16 seat, to help me pull more Gs”

Finished that for you. :grin:

3 Likes

Adjusted for truth…

5 Likes

So, I grew tired of seeing the dust collecting inside the frame…

I remember seeing track covers you could buy, and regretted I didn’t.
But hey! I’ve got a 3D printer, don’t I?

I’ll have to print the cover in parts and that gave me an idea…

Pretty cool, huh?

And it serves a purpose too!
I have caught that side wall with my foot several times, while getting in and out of the SimBox…

20 Likes

I got my new matte dark green filament today and started a new batch of frame track covers. This time they are flat. The yellow/black ones have a slightly bulging design.
They were printed standing, just like last time, but these covers got a sort of a seam, along the outside… Anybody have any idea why? I guess it’s where the extruder nozzle leave the object after printing one layer. Is there a setting for this…?

You have a self replicating printer! It probably did it to see if you would notice. I’m telling you, it’s the Rise of the Machines! :scream:

1 Like

Could you post some more detailed pictures of the seam and of the 3D design? Perhaps that might hold a clue!

1 Like

Hm. One could be led to believe that you make a living out of sorting out technical problems, caused by pilots…? :wink:

I looked at the gx slice file and there’s a piece of infill, just inside that seam. I read somewhere that the slicing software makes the extruder do the outside perimeter, then the inside and lastly the infill. And since this is just a small microscopic infill blob, that’s the last squirt of plastic before the extruder starts on the next layer.
I have tried increasing the perimeter thickness and reduce the infill from 15% to zero.

4 Likes