Spy Balloon Shot Down - AVweb

Looks to me that it hit the ballon, just above the panel array. You see the latter fall off as the balloon explodes. But it could be a prox fuse hit and that both the array and balloon was hit by shrapnel.
In any case, that large panel seems to fall by itself. Depending on its terminal velocity, parts of it could be recoverable. Looks large enough to have considerable drag.

But, as already alluded to in this thread, why send a balloon to gather intelligence? It’s pretty hard to hide… OTOH, if its mission was as benign as they say, why wasn’t fly-over countries informed?

4 Likes

Was it still at 60000 feet when it was shot down?

Edit: German state news reports it was three F-16 fighters that shot it down.

I heard F-16s from Shaw AFB, which makes sense geographically, but that was from a family member so suspect. A more creditable source, the BBC, reports F-22 Raptor via AIM-9X.

1 Like

Sky news says two F-22 at 58000 feet shot upwards at the balloon, which was at 60-65 thousand feet.

The video has two visible contrails, one clearly being from a missile.

Wikipedia says an F-16 has a ceiling of 58000 and an F-22 a ceiling of 65000.

Either way I think China should print „Happy 16th Birthday, Cindy“ onto their balloons to make the story more believable next time. :wink:

Smells a lot like a „Those who know, know“ situation to me.

5 Likes

A large balloon should be added to the DCS: China Asset Pack. :wink:

9 Likes

China: “Hey Americans! We were just trying to send you a Valentine’s Day present and the wind just took it. Why are you so suspicious?

Wouldn’t it be ironic if the balloon was launched to get pictures of an AIM-9X shooting it down? :wink:

7 Likes

There is also a good close up vid of the missile either prox fusing or hitting the balloon

1 Like

Just rambling thoughts here … but don’t weather ballon’s normally just keep rising until lack of air pressure just pops them… or that’s what I thought happened

2 Likes

Depends on the volume of helium in the balloon vs the weight of the payload. If the payload is heavy the balloon will rise to an equilibrium point where the weight of the payload is balanced by the buoyancy of the balloon and pretty much stay there. The helium will then start to diffuse through the balloon and the balloon will slowly lose altitude as its buoyancy reduces. This would likely take days to weeks depending on the volume to surface area ratio.

3 Likes

Ward Caroll has a pretty good summary.

1 Like

I haven’t seen or heard a better one… :wink:
No warhead, huh…
Let’s hope they find enough parts of the equipment.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Also, my sources say the electronics the balloon was carrying have been recovered.

5 Likes

Also, you know the folks at Fort Meade have been having a field day since at least Wednesday (if not longer).

3 Likes

Lots of good intel in the real audio. CZ535, POI 1, is target, altitude and heading, bullseye call, attack profile, shooters, Frank, and support flight, Eagle?

“Frank 1, engage.”

2 Likes

I love the flight callsign there- calling out Frank Luke, the balloon buster from WWI.

Looks like they’ve got the goods, too.

7 Likes

Excellent knowledge.

He was one crazy Mother Scratcher! :salute:

4 Likes

Racking up those balloon err object kills

3 Likes

Recon finished; first wave advance

6 Likes
2 Likes