The official 3rd Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - 2017 Edition

Apparently you can sail if you wish. Stop being difficult.

2 Likes

Lol linebacker with the sass

Yeah, the journey is yours to interprete as you wish basically, from Wright Flyer to Space Shuttle, from sailboat to submarine.

Be there in a jiffy

5 Likes

There is no huge rush to get there. I set out early because I know my schedule will interfere as we get closer to Christmas. I have to admit that I am making better progress than I had anticipated though.

I’m considering taking the trip all the way back to Austin as a circumnavigation (going the wrong way around the world). I’ll sit at Christmas Island until the new year though I think.

Good idea, count me in pls :slight_smile:

Are you sailing there?? Courageous!!

Yes, and I too will start my journey to the Christmas Island. The first leg, Boston to Narsasuaq.

2 Likes

Finally, leg 2. Yes my progress is not overwhelming…

Leg 2 goes from LOWI to LOWS. A pretty short flight but short enough to make it a hard trip.

When I came to the airport the weather was so good that I chose a scenic departure, down runway 26 and then nicely through the wally on MOGTI 1X departure, until I reach 13’000 ft. For such a short flight (124 nm) this departure is a bit an overkill. The departure is by the way an RNP departure. Not exactly sure what this but it looks like it has special performance requirements and it also requires special authorisation. I’m sure @BeachAV8R or someone else knows these type of departures. Is it realistic to fly such a special performance departure with a DC-6? I have to admit that I struggled a bit to follow the altitude requirements (wet takeoff then METO power) with my heavily loaded DC-6 but I was quite close.

Ok, lets start with this flight. I pick up the plane where I left it. Before I left the plane, I saved the scenario and so I was able to reload it and take over the airplane in exactly the same state as I left it. I’m however not entirely sure if this was a good idea. Later in the flight I had weird and annoying autopilot issues. Not sure if it had anything to do with this.

However, the takeoff was very nice and the departure a real enjoyment. Have a look and keep in mind that I have an old iMac and low graphic settings…

After that nice departure, my flight however got a bit difficult. The autopilot disconnected all the time and I had no clue why. You need to keep in mind that the DC-6 (in hard core mode) does not have an aural warning when the autopilot disconnects. I think there is only a read light on pedestal that indicates the disconnect. As I never had that before I’m wondering if this was a side effect of the loaded scenario. However I somehow got distracted and from then on failed to make anymore screenshots…

3 Likes

@Sine_Nomine
Yes you are right. I also read that this is the departure for airliners which definitely have different equipment :wink:

If I read correctly, the performance refers only to navigational performance, not to engine performance. Is this correct? It would somehow surprise me as I would also like to make sure I can leave this valley with one or even two engines out…

1 Like

Ha…! I’m writing about Narsarsuaq for my next PC Pilot article. Tough little airport with some fun approaches - particularly if the weather is down. And no alternates for hundreds of miles… Good luck!

Memanbetsu (RJCM) to Chubu (RJGG).

It was a pretty decent day when we left Memanbetsu.

As we proceeded South, the cloud layer thickened up, but there were some decent holes to look down through.

Coasting out, leaving the Northern island of Hokkaido behind us.

I dropped down below the cloud deck just before crossing the coast of Honshu, the largest of Japan’s Islands at Hachinohe.

I stayed under the overcast for about 20 miles but the terrain was rising ahead of me, while the clouds were not, so I decided to climb before it became too much of a problem.

Once again, on top of the layer. For this leg I used the experimental clouds mod for X-Enviro. I think they look great overall.

Some time later, a first glimpse of Japan’s most famous natural landmark: Mt Fuji.

After passing Mt Fuji, my plan was to land at Shizuoka (RJNS), but it turns out that it isn’t in the scenery database, so, I pushed on about 70nm West to Chubu (RJGG). The airport is built on a manmade island near the city of Tokoname.

The weather wasn’t great for the approach…

But it was a lot better once I was at the runway…

Parked on the GA ramp. It looks like they have quite the cargo operation here!

5 Likes

LPFG → LIPZ (Venice Marco Polo Airport)

With little time this week, it was good to get on the move again.

Route across France, just south of Bern, across the alps then east towards Bergamo, Verona and finally in to Venice. A bit of a slog at 485 miles.

Departing Charles de Gaulle in bright sunshine

A nice afternoon for flying

I slowly climbed up to around 14,000ft as I knew I’d need some altitude to get over the alps. I’m getting comfortable with the radio Nav, the first couple of beacons had DME, I do like the comfort of watching the mileage countdown.

Eventually I saw the mountains in the distance and felt I’d like a bit more distance between the aircraft and the pointy stuff, so climbed another 4,000ft. Better to be safe than sorry.

Approaching the Alps

The default scenery is breathtaking and the sense of height is amazing. I started to run into a bit of cloud, which was unnerving with mountains everywhere. I would have to trusting my navigation.

I worked out I should be crossing an airport, so was quite chuffed to see it out of the port window. I’d like to say this was bang on time, but I was early and surprised to see it. This caused me some confusion and much checking of the route map and getting “From” readings on the VOR.

Raron airport (LSTA)

Just stunning

Wow

After crossing the alps, we crossed into Italy and turned east towards Bergamo, south of Lake Como. There was more haze in the sky now as the sun had begun to set.

Heading east

DC-3 sunset

I checked the approach chart for Venice airport and decided to come striaght in to runway 04R. I dialled in the runway beacon and set the bearing to 040, with the intention of intercepting the centreline and then turning onto the heading. This would leave me around 20 miles out with 3,000 ft left to lose.

As I was descending the haze became more dense as the evening sun settled.

By the time I crossed the city I couldn’t see a great deal, so just focussed on getting down.

On finals

Misty view from the tower

Touchdown

The landing was nice and smooth, I touched down just past the piano keys. As I taxied off the runway, they switched the lights on. I could have done with this 5 minutes before.

Another leg down, I’m hoping to get another couple in this week, but then may have to wait until RL quietens down after Christmas.

5 Likes

Nice screens…the Alps looked fantastic…!

This wasn’t you @Sine_Nomine?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bat4QZ8j687/

2 Likes

Very nice account! I enjoyed reading it.

2 Likes

No apology necessary. I thoroughly enjoy reading your reports CP. keep them coming please!

2 Likes

No apologies necessary…that was a fascinating read and made all the more with the links and screens. Fantastic bit of history and trip-making…!

1 Like

I pondered long and hard, well at least 10 to 15 seconds, as to what Christmas gift might I offer to the good folks of Christmas Island. Ah, 1 keg each of our currently tapped beers. That is 160.5 lbs x 9 kegs of South Carolinian crafted nectar.

Hmmm. Keeping it refrigerated might be a challenge. But I digress.

What to haul it in you ask? As fate would have it, a former Air NZ line dog just became available from a broker who frequents the tap room. High time air frame and engines, but heck the paint looked good and the price was right ($34.95). A night in a hanger turned makeshift paint booth and behold, a chariot for the Gods!

Kissing the wives and children goodbye, we loaded up the repurposed Beech and took to the skies for our first leg, Chuck town up to Peachtree Dekalb airport on the Northeast corner of Atlanta.

KCHS-KPDK_map

The weather could not have been finer - to be leavin’ Carolina.

I guess one of these days we’ll finish painting One Papa India Bravo, but that old paint is beginning to look sporting from some angles :slight_smile:

A simple flight plan was drawn up on the back of a beer menu and this how we started our journey of many legs. My brother and I decided that being middle-aged and rusty, we shoot instrument approaches time permitting. On this leg we would check in with Peachtree tower about 10 miles out and ask if we could vector for an ILS approach on 21L.

About the time we crossed the Savannah river near Augusta, home of the Masters, we picked up Interstate 20 and would parallel her most of the way to the ATL.

I did most of my flight training on the East side of Atlanta. Even though it could play games with your aircraft compass, the rock shepherded home many a student pilot who was temporarily disoriented with regards to the originally planned route. She was a welcome sight this day as well.

Now as you gaze out the window at our beloved Stone Mountain, please let your eyes drift a wee bit lower and observe our fuel state. “WTF brother. I thought that you checked the fuel during preflight?”

With about 10 minutes left, we decided to heck with the instrument approach practice, and request a long right base for 03R. The controller was accommodating.

I hate it when we do this.

The bird will sit at Epps for a few days while we have her checked out. Conditions permitting, I usually add 3 kts for each of my 3 kids on final. But even coming in a little hot, we completely ran out of elevator. I suspect the X-Plane 11 FM or foul play.

Time to catch up with mom.

7 Likes

Awesome paint scheme…! Great first leg…! And that is a damn fine looking brew… :beers:

1 Like