The Official 4th Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - 2018 Edition

That was another great read! Very interesting Indeed.

Out of curiosity after you leave the atmosphere you said you could spin 180 degrees and have no Ill effects as long as you were lined up again by re-entry. But my question would be would there be any forces acting on the ship or the pilot during that spin? Would it feel relatively gentle or is this something that wouldn’t actually work in the real world due to lack of reaction mass or something else?

Loving the series of sub orbit flights so far beach.

1 Like

I would think there would be a tiny force on the pilot during the initiation of the yaw input, but once you had finished the initial input, things would go back to neutral (zero G, zero X/Y/Z axis accelerations). Of course, to stop the motion, you’d have to put in an equal and opposite input at some point, which would again impart a small force on the pilot.

2 Likes

Thirteenth entry for the Christmas Challenge.

Click to reveal AAR

Time for some old school Slant Alpha navigation in the newly released Just Flight Avro Vulcan.

We’ll be navigating from VOR to VOR all the way to Cordoba.

I had the chance to visit two Vulcans (in Duxford IWM and Cosford RAF museums) and it is hard to describe how huge these aircraft are when you stand right next to it.

XJ824 in Duxford

XM598 in Cosford

Interestingly, the Bristol-Siddeley Olympus 301 turbojet engines fitted on the Vulcan were also used on the TSR 2, another magnificent british jet that got its program cancelled. These engines are also very similar to the ones installed on the Concorde (Olympus 593), which I also had the chance to visit in Duxford (terrific exhibit!).

Now, now, enough with the pretty pictures. Time to go to work and see Bossman.

• BOSSMAN: Here you are again, Mister Chuck. What brings you here? Haven’t had enough fun with the Hawkeye already?
  • ME: It’s an okay plane, but, you see, Just Flight just released this new plane and…
  • BOSSMAN: And you want your wife to eat some more Kraft Dinner for the rest of the month, is that it?
  • ME: Exactly. I want to fly this magnificent Vulcan to Cordoba.
  • BOSSMAN: Cordoba… as in that place in Argentina?
  • ME: Precisely.
  • BOSSMAN: Argentina… as in that place where the Vulcan went to war some years ago?
  • ME: You don’t sound too thrilled…
  • BOSSMAN: As much as I hate your guts, young man, the MAD company cannot afford to get a british bomber shot down over Argentina.
  • ME: But…
  • BOSSMAN: And the noise requirements prevent this aircraft from being operated even in the UK!
  • ME: But the Queen said I could…
  • BOSSMAN: You mean Randy Queen from Leicester? That doesn’t count!
  • ME: Don’t you want to hear that Vulcan howl one more time?

After hours of arguing with Bossman, I am finally allowed to take my Vulcan to the skies. Wonderful!

I climb the ladder just next to the landing gear (LSHIFT+E)

On top of the ladder

The access to the cockpit is a bit tight

Thankfully, a quality-of-life improvement allows the fuel control panel to be rotated up with a white T handle

Fuel panel down

Fuel panel up

And there it is! The interior of a nuclear bomber.

I check that the parking brake is set.

Then, the maintenance crew plug in the Houchin Ground Power Unit (under the left wing) and the Palouste Air Pressure Compressor Cart (under the right wing).

A five-man crew, the first pilot, co-pilot, navigator radar, navigator plotter and air electronics officer (AEO) was accommodated within the pressure cabin on two levels; the pilots sitting on Martin-Baker 3KS ejection seats whilst on the lower level, the other crew sat facing rearwards and would abandon the aircraft via the entrance door.

Unfortunately, we can’t access the electrical panels in the back compartment since it’s not modelled (hidden behind this big metal door).

However, we can pop up 2-D panels for the ACP (Alternator Control Panel) and AAPP/SSP (Airborne Auxiliary Power Plant/ Secondary Supplies Panel). The AAPP is basically the APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) of the Vulcan.

First, we need to set the battery switch ON (SSP panel). We can confirm that the busbar gauge is at approx. 28 Volts.

Then, we set all four LP (Low-Pressure Fuel Cocks to OPEN (FWD).and close the cover guards.

On the right side console, set Cabin Pressure Selector to Cruise (Fully forward) and cover guard set to prevent inadvertent selections. Also set Engine Air and Cabin Air switches to OFF.

• Close the entry door (LSHIFT+E).
  • Move to the fuel control panel and set all fuel pump switches ON (1 through 7).
  • Set the Cross-Feed fuel cocks CLOSED.
  • Set the Fuel Pump Auto/Manual switches to AUTO.

Interestingly, the pumps in AUTO mode will already start transferring fuel from different tanks to have a correct CG (Center of Gravity) for takeoff.

• We can verify fuel readings by holding the Fuel Tank Contents pushbuttons.
  • Set Throttle/HP (High Pressure) Cocks Levers to OPEN/IDLING position (right click)

On the starter panel (left side of pilot seat), we can start the engines either using an engine-cross-start procedure or by using the “Rapid Start” procedure. This time, I try to go for the Rapid Start.

Good start! Confirmation of four successful engine starts is shown by the four engine start lights extinguishing. Once this occurs, switch OFF the ignition and engine master (MSW) switches.

We can also check the fuel flow and see if it’s within an acceptable range.

On the SSP and ACP panels, set the Port and Starboard TRU (Transformer Rectifier Unit) switches ON, the Port and Starboard Main Transformer switches ON, and the four Alternator switches ON.

On the left pilot console, set the PFCs switches, auto-stabiliser (Pitch & Yaw Dampers) and artificial feel switches ON. Basically, we can click on all the PFC Stop Buttons and turn off Artificial Feel & Pitch/Yaw dampers, then turn them all back on gradually using their respective switches.

Setting my navigation frequency to 114.9 (Antofagasta VOR), which is about 1.4 miles from us. The Vulcan doesn’t really use VORs for navigation according to the manual. It comes equipped with a TACAN system, which is used by the military and not modelled in Prepar3d. However, we can tune two knobs on the COM/NAV radio panel to VOR frequencies and use them like TACAN beacons (the frequency will only be visible via cockpit tooltips). You just need to make sure that the Radio Preset Frequency Selector is set to M (Manual).`

A couple of last checks before takeoff:

• Oxygen ON (for both pilot and copilot sides)
  • Pressure Head Heaters (Pitot Heat) ON (DOWN & GUARDED)
  • Radio Altimeter ON
  • Engine Air switches for Engine 1 & 2 - ON/OPEN
  • Port Cabin Air Switch - ON/OPEN
  • Extend left & right taxi lights (FULL DOWN)
  • Navigation Lights switch - STEADY
  • Set External Light switch - ON
  • Parking Brake OFF

Time to taxi

Heading towards runway 19. It’s a pretty foggy morning.

Needless to say, the Vulcan is absolutely HUGE.

Holding the CG CHECK button to see if the fuel pumps distributed the fuel correctly, giving me a balanced Center of Gravity. The CG should be good (and it is) since the fuel pumps were set to AUTO mode. When lined up on the runway, I also check that the correct heading is entered on the Beam Compass (194 for the first leg).

Removing ejection seat safety locking pins

Checking the rotation speed chart in function of AUW (All-Up Weight, also known as Gross Weight). Since we will takeoff with approx. 52,000 lbs of fuel, the empty weight is about 100,750 lbs and we’re carrying about 1000 lbs worth of payload, we have an AUW of 153,750 lbs. That gives us a rotation speed of about 137 kts and an initial climb speed of 150 kts. To be conservative, I’ll take a rotation speed of 140 kts and an initial climb speed of 150 kts. After that, the recommended climb speed is 250 kts all the way up to 20,000 ft, then Mach 0.86 above 20,000 ft.

I throttle up, wait for my engines to spool up and the Olympus engines howl the loudest and most magnificent sound I’ve ever heard.

Here is how it sounds like. This video was taken in a short check ride I did earlier to see how the plane behaved.

Just Flight Avro Vulcan Howl - YouTube

Retracting landing gear

Gear up and locked

The aircraft is surprisingly elegant for its size.

Skyrocketing over Antofagasta

As I reach 3,000 ft, I retract my landing lights, set my remaining Engine Air and Cabin Air switches ON/OPEN. I climb at 250 kts.

Looking at the aircraft limitations… I really need to make sure I am super careful with this aircraft.

It’s now time to set up the autopilot, also nicknamed “George”. As shown in the picture above, I first set up my Autopilot Master switch to ON (UP). Then, I pull the Autopilot Power knob and wait for the READY MI (Magnetic Indicator) to turn to white. This can take up to 1 minute.

I then level off the aircraft and set up the IAS/ALT autopilot mode selector to ALT (Altitude Hold) and pull the ENGAGE knob. Simple as that. You can also monitor the servo loading on the front panel. If you want to use HEADING HOLD, set the Autopilot Heading Select Knob to the desired course on the Beam Compass, then pull on the TRACK knob to arm Heading Select mode.

I run into some difficult autopilot oscillations as I engage it below Mach 0.6. I disengage it and climb to 27,000 ft, level off, then try again. As I reach Mach 0.7, the autopilot seems to cooperate this time. Bug or feature? I’ll have to ask the developers.

Another cool fact: you can use the nuclear flash protection panels. To use them, click hold left mouse button an individual window, then drag the window left or right to move it.

Following the coast

Trucking along, 48 miles south of Antofagasta

The autopilot starts oscillating again. I disconnect it angrily. Something feels off.

As I go 100 nm south of Antofagasta, I switch my nav frequency to DAT (117.1). The distance being probably greater than 100 nm still, the indicator points in the right direction but the DME distance is stuck at 99 nm for now.

After a while, I finally end up having a distance on the TACAN display…

60 miles out to DAT

Over DAT, turning 120 towards LAR for a 245 nm long leg over the Andes… and into Argentina (gasp)

Opening bomb bay doors…

Just kidding…, just kidding!

That’s one long boring leg… especially since the AP doesn’t seem to quite work as intended.

The visibility is really not that great in that aircraft.

An interesting angle

Over the Tampalaya National Park… or at least something that looks like it.

Clouds ahead. I hope the visibility is good during the approach.

Strangely enough I end up being able to capture the signal to LAR but I get no information about its distance. maybe it has something to do with the fact that the VOR is close to a mountain?

Approaching LAR (La Rioja). Quite a beautiful place. As the needle starts turning, I know we crossed the beacon. Maybe it was an ADF and not a VOR? I’ll have to verify.

Tuning on SRC frequency and turning 158

SRC VOR captured. Got it!

Lago Salinas Grandes

Reaching SCT

Time to tune on CBA (Cordoba) following heading 042. Starting my descent and deploying airbrakes.

There is a lot of turbulence during the descent. Flying over Alta Gracia

Tuning on the ATIS frequency on 127.5… doesn’t seem anything is being broadcasted.

Internet to the rescue. Adjusting my altimeter setting to 1024 mBar.

Approach speed is 200 kts. Engine Air and Cabin Air switches are SHUT, and landing lights are deployed at 180 kts.

I rapidly check my remaining fuel: 26,000 lbs. My AUW is 127,750 lbs.

Speed on final is 140 kts. Touchdown speed should be about 130 kts. I’ll use 145 kts on final and 135 kts at the threshold for safety.

I swing around the airport by the East, then turn south towards runway 18.

On final

Touchdown

Using the wing like a huge airbrake

Deploying Drag Chute

Taxiing to parking area

Aaand engine shutdown. Finally reached Cordoba in one piece.

Power off.

11 Likes

phwoaaar what a beaut! Nice one chuck!

1 Like

Great read Chuck! So, is there going to be a Chuck’s Guide to the Vulcan?

2 Likes

What a spectacular aircraft Chuck! Thanks for sharing it in detail. Very much appreciated.

1 Like

I actually thought of doing a “British Bombers” series of guides, starting from the Lancaster, then the Canberra and finally the Vulcan. I don’t know when I’ll find the time to do that but so far my AARs for these three aircraft are good studies/reminders of the plane I think.

I landed during a Football game, so I escaped the aircraft safe and unharmed. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Victor k2 next please chuck! I know someone who would be very interested in that particular AAR. :thinking::+1:

1 Like

FTFY :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Fourteenth entry for the Christmas Challenge.

Click to reveal AAR

Bossman and myself sprint through the Cordoba airport.

ME: Fuel up that plane! We have to leave - NOW!
BOSSMAN: I told you this whole “landing-a-Vulcan-in-the-middle-of-Argentina” plan was bonkers! Start the plane! Start the bloody plane!
ME: It’s not my fault, Boss! I didn’t know they’d want to lynch us after their football game was over!
BOSSMAN: Hurry up, I see the angry crowd in the distance. They’re trying to force their way over the fences!

Setting up fuel and cargo in a hurry. CG looks good, weight looks good.

Ground power ON

Loading up the passengers

Plugging in V-speeds for a flaps 15 takeoff

Taxiing

Lining up on Runway 36

Ready to roll

Rotating, gear up.

Climbing across the SID

Flying over Cordoba one last time

So far so good

That Maddog really IS a magnificent aircraft. It’s probably my favourite aircraft to fly in Prepar3d.

Embalse Los Molinos

Encountering severe turbulence before I climb above the Andes

Reaching contrail height

Over San Vincente. Does anyone have any idea what those circles are down there?

Lago Pampa de Las Salinas, another salt lake

Chilean border ahead

Into the mountains

Arriving at the Top of Descent, checking my landing speeds. I plan to land at flaps 28 at roughly 135 kts.

The Andes are truly breathtaking

The eternal snows. We are south of the Aconcagua near the mountain called Cerro El Plomo.

Approaching Santiago

Santiago is to our left

At last, an ATIS that works!!! Setting my barometric setting at 29.90 in Hg.

Turning into the final approach

On final

Before touchdown, coming in a bit too fast

We made it!

Vacating the runway

Heading to our gate

Everyone out!

This was our final leg before our crossing over the Pacific Ocean. Time to take a little break.

2 Likes

Those are going to be fields that us a center pivot irrigation (also called water-wheel, and a couple others). Real common in the US too, but if you don’t spend much time in farm country you probably won’t see one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_pivot_irrigation

1 Like

Any decent add-on on that?

Hampton to Pago Pago Leg 5 - Alpnach Mil to Sion:

We are doing something different for this leg. @BeachAV8R’s post on his new helicopter, Sera Sim’s Bell B222 got me to thinking, a couple of my favorite FSX civilian helicopters are the aforementioned B222 and Nemeth Design’s / Milviz’s AW-109. I don’t have any Swiss livery for the B222 but I do for the AW-109. (It turns out that an original design specification of the AW-109 was Rescue/ MEDEVAC in the Swiss Alps).

The Nemeth/Milviz AW-109 has a bit more “in depth” flight model than many other FSX helicopters.

One of the truly modeled is the retreating blade stall at high speeds. They are serious about VNE. More than once I’ve I’ve gotten too fast and put myself into the ground in this helo. And it is pretty easy to get too fast, especially if you let your speed get away from you while descending. This is something to think about on this flight since I will be climbing through the high Grimselpass and then down into the Rhone Valley.

Here is the Flight Plan:

AAR

Dawn at Alpnach Air Base. Getting ready to start it up.

Engines running. Everything else is set. Ready to go.

Pull up into a hover…clear of obstacles… (Note Alpnach is a Swiss AF helo base. I’ve added a few bits of scenery to include a few Swis AF Eurocopter 135s on the flight line)

…and outbound.

One nice thing about this model is the autopilot. As I head out I have set heading and altitude hold.

I spotted a frozen lake so I just had to land on it. Why? Why not?

Enough fun. I’m heading up the climbing valley to Grimselpass…

when I see this…clouds hiding the valley ahead. I could have gone all day without that.

Decision time: Do I abort? See if I can go under? What about over? Go right through? I’ve got a good terrain picture on my GPS so I decide to reduce speed a bit, climb and go through. Soon enough I’m in the soup.

It is just the one cloud and after a bit I’m in the clear. Grimselpass is straight ahead.

The Rhone Valley has better weather and plenty of space. I start my descent. I want to get down to about 1,000 ft AGL and then press in. (The one unfortunate thing about this AW-109 model is the lack of a radar altimeter.)

The flight down the valley is uneventful. Soon I have LSGS in sight.

On short final…er…not really. This is the threshold for RWY 25 and RWY 7 is the active…but the helipads are down at this end and there is nobody else in the pattern…so…

Making my approach to Helipad 1. Note the barricade for keeping jets from overrunning the runway. There are also arresting gear at both ends. (Sion is a civilian and military airfield.)

Safe on deck? … I had better make sure……“pilot to crew chief; make sure we have landed.”

“Crew chief to pilot…um…it looks that way.”

(Actually, the animation is for when you are using the hoist in a hover.)

Safe on deck confirmed. Shut it down and let everybody out.

I’m not sure what I’ll be flying for the next leg. I do know that I’ll be headed for the Croatian, Adriatic coast and Dubrovnik (LDDU).

4 Likes

I found a free version that covered all marks of Victor including the very secretive SR2 reconnaissance variant. This was for fsx but honestly the cockpit was subpar although the flight model was pretty nice. You could put the B1a into a dive at FL350 and it would go supersonic and the later marks wouldn’t do that and they had noticably more power and feeling of weight.

Maybe one day.

So from Davao in the PI down to Manado Indonesian, 336 NM. Mostly over water, what to fly, what to fly…?

Well as Beach got me thinking the other day with the sub hunting comment, and I’ve been missing some big ole’ radial engines, the obvious choice is of course:

The Grumman S-2 Tracker. First introduced in 1952, the Tracker was the first purpose built ASW aircraft for the USN when it entered service in 1952. it has a pair of Wright 1820 Cyclone engines (the Cyclone also powered the B-17), putting out 1525 SHP each. That combined with a large flaps, gives the expected STO performance. Though we have plenty of runway here.

This model is freeware from Eagle Rotorcraft Simulations. The exterior model is great, unfortunately the interior is not quiet as polished. Additionally the systems modeling seems to be pretty bare bones. I have no clue on the flight dynamics of the real Tracker, so I can’t say how accurate it is, but it seems reasonable.

2018-12-2_18-42-27-349

The model has a deployable radar dome, EW antenna, and a MAD stinger.

It’s mainly water, lots of water between the two islands. The Tracker has a cruising speed of about 125 knts IAS at FL10. It cruises about 30 knots faster than the PBY-2, but does so MUCH more comfortably. With the Catalina, in warm air I was always worry about the engines lighting on fire or stalling if I throttled back. Getting up to FL10 or higher was a fight and pretty much required step climbing. The Tracker cruises much more comfortably at higher altitude and speed than the Catalina, which makes for much more comfortable flying.

Entering the pattern.

On final.

And down. As I had plenty of runway I figured I’d try a carrier type landing. Full flaps, and fly it right into the runway. No wire to catch, so we ended up a bit further down the runway then normal. It definitely handles a “solid” landing just fine.

Overall this is an outstanding exterior model with what appears to be FSX stock plane default systems modeling. There appears to be some oddness with autopilot, but that may have been operator error.

9 Likes

The Aerosoft Catalina X? If so, I know what you mean. They did a pretty good job on the engine model. Cold weather flying is also a “treat” playing with the carburetor heat. Too little and ice chokes the engines; too much and they overheat. Definitely a Goldilocks situation. :slightly_smiling_face:

When I was a young Ensign, the USN still had a couple C-1 Trader CODs in operation. I got to see two of them “launch” from the ship (CV-67) using a deck run, down the angle deck, just like in WW II…the end of an era. :sunglasses:

1 Like

LEG 1 - Cessna 152 - Gastonia, NC (KAKH) - Mountain Air, NC (2NCO)
LEG 2 - Cessna 172 - Mountain Air, NC (2NC0) - Andrews-Murphy, NC (KRHP)
LEG 3 - Cessna 182 - Andrews-Murphy, NC (KRHP) - Tyndall AFB, FL (KPAM)
LEG 4 - T-34 Mentor - Tyndall AFB, FL (KPAM) - New Orleans, LA (KNEW)
LEG 5 - PA-28 Warrior - New Orleans, LA (KNEW) - Beaumont, TX (KBPT)
LEG 6 - PA-32 Lance - Beaumont, TX (KBPT) - Temple, TX (KTPL)
LEG 7 - Cessna 172RG - Temple, TX (KTPL) - Midland, TX (KMAF)
Intermission - Sub Orbital Flight

After a thrilling ride to the edge of space, it is time to continue on westbound with Leg 8. At this point in my career I’m just shy of four years into my flying journey. I have my Commercial Pilot Certificate at the bare minimum 250-ish hours, but now I can actually be paid to be in the airplane.

Three weeks after my Commercial checkride, on October 23, 1995 there is an entry for my next aircraft type - N72GP, an A-36 Bonanza owned by Ramp 66. Again, one of the single engine freight haulers that hauled packages, checks, and whatever else needed to be moved throughout the southeast. I’d once again be checked out in the Bonanza by my friend Peter with a short flight over to Raleigh-Durham to swap out planes and pick up a Piper Lance that needed to come back to the beach for maintenance. My logbook entry for the first A-36 flight reads “Awesome a/c”. Yes, yes it is.

With no Bonanza in my X-Plane hangar (and not wanting to shell out any money for just this single leg) I bounce over to P3D v4, which includes by default the very nice Carenado A-36 Bonanza. Again, a lot cleaner and newer than the ones I flew, but very familiar feeling.

The Bonanza, just like all big piston engines, sounds awesome when you start it up and it falls into a deep bass gallop. The Bonanza definitely felt more rigid than the straight or T-tail Lances I flew. Everything felt tight…almost fighter aircraft-like. It was a real performer that had a good amount of power to spare, and very nice feel on the yoke. We had three A-36s in the fleet, two had throw-over yokes and one had dual yokes.

Our flight today will take us from Midland, TX (KMAF) across to Albuquerque, New Mexico (KABQ).

As I taxi off the ramp at Midland, it doesn’t escape me that I’ve pretty much flown every plane type on the ramp at some point or another…

A nifty paint job on this Southwest 737…

Our Bonanzas back in the day had no GPS or RNAV equipment. Just VOR to VOR and NDB approaches. Some had DME.

Climbing out of Midland…

The back of this plane is much nicer than the ones I flew. Our freighter Bonanzas had all the interior stripped out and (just like the Lances) had sheet metal sides and a plywood floor with a cargo net bolted to it.

Sadly, the plane I flew a bit at the ramp was destroyed and the super nice, young pilot killed in Roanoke when he somehow became disoriented on a localizer approach. He descended past the airport, thinking he was still on the LOC, and ended up plowing into the side of a mountain. The story is horrible to read. I had met Talex a couple of times while swapping airplanes in Roanoke, and his death shook the whole organization. The plane he was flying (N1795W) was the same one I had flown many times. It was not hard to imagine me making a similar mistake at my very green level of experience.

The accident report makes for interesting reading: NTSB report.

Newspaper article about the accident: HERE

Settling in for our flight…

The weather was rough on this leg. Lots of turbulence, and a pesky cloud layer and icing level that was coincident with our cruise altitude. At one point I had to leave 10,000’ to descend to 9,000 because of ice accumulation that was causing airspeed to decrease. With no deicing boots, and the possibility of induction system icing, the Bonanza was not a great winter ops airplane. My friend Peter was almost killed in one in North Myrtle Beach when he picked an insane load of icing flying the ILS to runway 23. He required full power just to maintain the 500 fpm descent on the ILS and he had to put his hand out the pilot storm window to scrape a hole clear on the windscreen to see enough to land. I was chipping ice off the leading edge of the wings that was probably 2" thick. Luck was just barely in his favor that day.

The problem on this leg is that the MEA is so high, with terrain to above 10,000 in close to ABQ. Getting squeezed down between the icing level and the ground is never a fun position to be in.

Finally the ceilings started rise a bit - just in time to cross the last hurdle before Albuquerque - the Manzano Mountain Wilderness with mountains up to 10,098’…

Once over the mountains, the terrain drops off into ABQ with a field elevation of 5,355’…

The Bonanza is a great aircraft. I had some close calls in it, most due to flying around embedded thunderstorms in the summer in the southeast. None of our single engine aircraft had weather radar, so you had to rely on ATC and some spidey-sense to make your way through sometimes. I hit a storm so bad once that I briefly lost control of the Bonanza and luckily it spat me out the other side instead of out of the bottom. The A-36 was built like a tank though. I also had my first real life emergency gear extension happen in an A-36.

Lots of good memories in the logbook flying it. At that point in my career, I was technically a “VFR Only” freight pilot. I was so inexperienced, that I was only allowed to fly commercial legs in VFR if they were passenger or freight. I could reposition planes, which was great, except all the planes that needed repositioning usually had something wrong with them. And despite the VFR Only tag…cough…uh…there just weren’t that many non-IFR days in the Carolinas, so I might have been more like “psuedo-VFR” at some points. :wink: (I’d actually just file and fly IFR and if anyone asked, it was VMC on an IFR flight plan…)

8 Likes

Fifteenth entry for the Christmas Challenge.

Click to reveal AAR

Like some US president once said: “This might be the bigliest leg yet.”

It’s a sunny morning at Santiago.

As the ground crew plug in ground power, I start aligning my IRS and plugging my flight plan.

10 degrees of flaps on takeoff? Why not. However, the 747-8i has a couple of noticeable differences with the 747-400. In this one, the V-speeds are computed with the help of the EFB (electronic flight bag).

The EFB

It’s a really in-depth tool with plenty of cool functionalities (like Pilot Utilities, where I never need to calculate anything ever again!).

Tuning in the ATIS to get the required information (barometric pressure, outside air temperature, winds) to input in the EFB to get our performance calculation.

Pro tip: you need to make sure to press on the LSK (Line Select Key) next to EXT KBD to pop up the keyboard or you can’t write in required fields of the EFB. You select a field by touching it with your mouse like an iPad Touchpad.

Bingo! We’ve got our V-Speeds. Time to start the engines.

Spooling up the GEnx engines.

The checklist system in the 747-8 is also a little different. You need to use the Cursor Control knob and rotate it to change menus. You select a menu by pressing the SEL button on top of the control knob.

Taxiing

Now there is one very cool feature: the Airport Ground Mapping functionality. Basically, you press the ARPT display mode button to have the blue ARPT message on your Navigation Display. You may have to click it twice (first click shows the ARPT but without the overlay, second press with the overlay, third press removes overlay). If you don’t see it right away, don’t worry… you just need to toy with the ND (Navigation Display) Range Selector (click on outer knob ro rotate). You then get a nice airport overlay on your ND.

Runway feels a bit tight

Last checks before takeoff

Flight control surfaces check. Good to go. Let’s get this monster off the ground.

WOW!

Good-bye, Santiago!

Wingflex

The SID makes us do a whole tour around Santiago before going for the Pacific Coast.

The sky is really blue today

One last looksie at LatinVFR’s Santiago

Passing over the Andes… that’s a lotta clouds.

Contrailing

And here is the Pacific Ocean. Chile’s the last piece of land I’m about to see for a looong time.

Endless, endless clouds!

Endless, endless blue!

Flying over the Robinson Crusoe Island

The island was home to the marooned sailor Alexander Selkirk from 1704 to 1709, and is thought to have inspired novelist Daniel Defoe’s fictional Robinson Crusoe in his 1719 novel about the character (although the novel is explicitly set in the Caribbean, not in the Juan Fernández Islands). This was just one of several survival stories from the period that Defoe would have been aware of. To reflect the literary lore associated with the island and attract tourists, the Chilean government renamed the place Robinson Crusoe Island in 1966.

The Waypoint is also called ROBIK, which I found amusing

In the distance we can also see the Alexander Selkirk Island

A slightly better view of the island

More cruising

Uh oh… Fuel Tank imbalance. I must’ve set the OVRD tanks by mistake.

The TANK/ENG message pops up to notify you that you need to configure the tanks. When you see this, you usually will need to turn off the OVRD tanks on the inboard tanks, and then close the outer (unguarded) crossfeeds. This very likely happened because I set the OVRD tanks at the beginning of flight and forgot about them, and the fuel imbalance happened over time.

However, even with the OVRD tanks off and the cross-feed off, I still have a fuel tank imbalance to fix manually. I’ll have to open the cross-feed valves and shut the Engine 2 and Engine 3 main tanks and wait for the FUEL IMBALANCE caution to go away. This way, Engines 1 and 2 will feed from tank 1 and Engines 3 and 4 will feed from tank 4. I “think” the fuel balance is calculated with MAIN 1 + RES 1 should equal MAIN 2. At least, that’s how I remember it was on takeoff.

After a while, the FUEL IMBLANCE caution extinguishes. I think my theory was right! You can also notice that the RES 1 and RES 4 tanks began to transfer automatically in main tanks 1 and 4.

Setting the tanks as they were at the beginning (no cross-feed, Main 1 for Engine 1, Main 2 for Engine 2, etc.)

That did the trick. We’re balanced now! :slight_smile:

Back to more cruising

900+ more nm to go? Pffffffff…

Reaching top of descent just after VINAP

Starting my descent to Easter Island

Consulting METAR online to get my barometric setting

I’ll have to swing west of the island to land before I can start my approach

The STAR (Standard Arrival Route)

Admiring the view

Doing some calculations on the EFB. That a very, VERY neat tool!

Before the last turn

The last turn

Lined up on final

Better watch that cliff!

(Clenching buttocks)

AP Off. Umpf!

I wasn’t sure if I had enough runway but the reversers installed on these GEnx engines are powerful as hell!

Full stop.

Taxiing

Tiny, tiny taxiways

Looks like I may have overheated my brakes during landing.

Parking brake on, chocks on, APU running, engines off, doors open.

I think we’re good to step out of the plane. Parking space is a bit tight though.

7 Likes

I’s just GEnx generally speaking, or GEnx-1B/2B if you want to be more specific. Not sure how they came up with the 2867 designation but it’s in the general nomenclature. Probably S/N related. :wink:

Nice. The Queen of the Skies is beautiful… Yeah…those brakes looked toasty!