The Official 4th Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - 2018 Edition

Ah, the Mudspike Christmas Flight! About a month ago it occurred to me this might be coming up so I checked. And quite a nice destination this year. I got the “take off from the airport closest to your home location” part but forgot the “with a load of gifts” part and had to improvise, as we’ll see. Here’s one single PIREP for my three-flight journey, so please forgive the length. X-Plane 11.25 for the flight and the following pics.

Drove over to my home field, KTUS Tucson, Arizona, USA on a typically sunny autumn day at the cargo ramp. For a brief moment I thought I’d just stay home, click a lot of gifts on Amazon, and sub-contract this out to one of the big 3:

But that wouldn’t be in the spirit of the season or the Mudspike Flight. Instead, I commissioned a special paint on my newest acquisition:

C5 Galaxy–I was planning on lots of gifts this year. The C-130 Hercules from last year would not do.

Taxied out at Tucson and departed northbound:

Some time and a fair distance later I descended through the clouds at dusk for PAFA-Fairbanks, Alaska:

After one go-around (I cannot find a chart for Vref approach speeds at various weight and flap settings for the C5 Galaxy–if anyone has one, please alert me–and am having difficulty getting the big plane down without being long or bouncing as I guess at the proper speeds), taxied in and parked up:

Left it there for a few days while I re-positioned myself to help with the Anchorage earthquake. Oh yea, why PAFA Fairbanks? Because I was picking up a bunch of gifts from North Pole. North Pole, AK:

Time was passing by and Alaska felt even colder knowing others were en route to Pago Pago so I headed out to coordinate the loading. Opened the front and back of the C5 to expedite loading:

When all was secure and the forklift drivers well tipped, an uneventful climb-out had me southbound in the winter sun:

A short while later, after an uneventful over-water flight, I descended for landing at Honolulu, Hawaii. I think I could have made Pago Pago in one go from Fairbanks but I was heavy with cargo and a bit concerned with fuel; also, my organization is stretched thin right now so I was having trouble finding relief pilots–I’d have to do this non-revenue flight on my own–so a layover by Waikiki sounded good. Got down, not pretty, on 08L and parked in an out of the way spot:

Ah, island warmth, island time, a few iced Konas, some surfing on the north shore. Uh, “layover” turned into a longer stay. Then one day I remembered I still had a job to complete. Besides, the non-stop Christmas muzak and sidewalk Santas were messing with the island vibe, so back to the airport. Checked that the cargo tie-downs were still secure, checked the weather en route and at Pago Pago, called ahead to be sure there’d be parking space for me, then filed the flight plan, engine start and taxi out. I fly from PHNL frequently in my 777 but have always used runway 08L. I’ve always wanted to use the “reef runway” and given both my parking proximity (so shorter taxi time) and the fact that I’m still not expert with the C5 (so maybe out of the way would be good for everyone), I decided to use 08R reef runway for takeoff:

Ah, the Pacific is a big place. Even in a big jet. Settled in at FL280 for cruise above the clouds:

And then it was back to business. Tutuila Island came into view. I radioed down to NSTU-Pago Pago for approach clearance. I had been on autopilot while enjoying Amy Grant’s second Christmas album on the in-flight sound system and found myself past TOD. So I flew a break pattern over the field and set up for a long final:

Home_For_Christmas_-_Amy_Grant

Put it down on runway 05. Not great, not horrible, but needed most of the 10,000 feet. Back-taxied on 26 and turned onto the cramped parking apron:

Parked up and shut down the engines. Hey, wasn’t that Hawaiian jet at PHNL when I left?

My arrival was attracting attention from folks at this nicely modeled scenery (Cami de Bellis’ in X-Plane):

Though this one didn’t seem to care:

Enough messing around, time to complete the mission. Off-loading the gifts. As the saying goes “articles may have shifted in flight”; I opened the back ramp and some spilled out. Then the ground crew got to work:

And that, pilots, is that. A little detour made my flight longer this year, but got it in before Christmas! Last year, with the C-130 Herc, I continued on to go around-the-world to get home. That burned me (and the plane) out for a while, so this year I think I will soak up some south Pacific cheer then just head home direct. Until next Christmas, Pilots, happy holidays and Happy 2019!

6 Likes

Very nice…! That C-5 should have brought in enough supplies for @chipwich to open up a South Pacific Brewing Company.

1 Like

Leg07 Pearson Field to Bella Coola (KVUO - CYBD)

P3Dv4 mods used for this leg:
Carenado Beech D18S
Orbx: all layers plus KVUO and CYBD
Active Sky P3Dv4 and Cloud Art

KVUO-CYBD%20NAVLOG

The Pratt radials seemed perfectly happy as the old Beech and I loped along at thirteen thousand enjoying the view, warm and cozy over an increasingly rising landscape. Waylon and Willie sang of good hearted women and urged mommas not to let their babies grow up to be cowboys on the David Clarks.

I first noticed an airspeed rolling off, with an obstinate autopilot apparently determined to hold altitude until we quit flying. I pulled off my headset, disengaged the AP, nosed over a bit, checked fuel selectors, quantity, mixture, and gauges. There was no visible precip, but I began to have the sinking feeling (pun intended) that the engines were sucking ice, so on comes the prop and other deice equipment, what little I had. The props were still turning, but power was non existent. CHT was coming down too. Not good. We passed through 11.5 and those mountains were beginning to get my attention…

A shame because the day had begun so well.

Anytime someone is willing to swap Aztec for Beech 18 time, you jump at the offer.

Clearance received and tail wheel locked, I hold the brakes while running her up to almost takeoff power. The wind had shifted almost 180 degrees during taxi, but remained light and variable.

The Beech tracked straight and the tail lifted easily a little over 45 kts.

Tailwind or not, we lifted with plenty of asphalt remaining.

We pulled up the gear and flaps, banked left away from PDX, and were soon on our way. Bella Coola lay 515 miles to the north.

To be continued…

10 Likes

Wow those are some great screens!

2 Likes

LEG 1 - Cessna 152 - Gastonia, NC (KAKH) - Mountain Air, NC (2NCO)
LEG 2 - Cessna 172 - Mountain Air, NC (2NC0) - Andrews-Murphy, NC (KRHP)
LEG 3 - Cessna 182 - Andrews-Murphy, NC (KRHP) - Tyndall AFB, FL (KPAM)
LEG 4 - T-34 Mentor - Tyndall AFB, FL (KPAM) - New Orleans, LA (KNEW)
LEG 5 - PA-28 Warrior - New Orleans, LA (KNEW) - Beaumont, TX (KBPT)
LEG 6 - PA-32 Lance - Beaumont, TX (KBPT) - Temple, TX (KTPL)
LEG 7 - Cessna 172RG - Temple, TX (KTPL) - Midland, TX (KMAF)
Intermission - Sub Orbital Flight
LEG 8 - A-36 Bonanza - Midland, TX (KMAF) - Albuquerque, NM (KABQ)
LEG 9 - Cessna 404 - Albuquerque, NM (KABQ) - Montrose, CO (KMTJ)
LEG 10 - Grumman AA-5B Tiger - Montrose, CO (KMTJ) - Salt Lake City, UT (KSLC)
LEG 11 - BE-58 Baron - Salt Lake City, UT (KSLC) - Johnson Creek, Idaho (3U2)
LEG 12 - Navion 205 - Johnson Creek, Idaho (3U2) - Mile Hi, Idaho (I97D)
LEG 13 - J-3 Cub - Mile Hi, Idaho (I97D) - Krassel, ID (24K)
LEG 14 - Mooney M20C - Krassel, ID (24K) - Enterprise, OR (8S4)
LEG 15 - Piper PA-44-180 Seminole - Enterprise, OR (8S4) - Hanel Field, OR (0OR9)
LEG 16 - BAC Jet Provost - Hanel Field, OR - S50 Auburn, WA
LEG 17 - Cessna 206 - Auburn, WA (S50) - Mears Field, WA (3W5)
LEG 18 - Beechcraft C-23 Sundowner - Mears Field, WA (3W5) - Squamish, Canada (CYSE)

On April 22, 1997 I caught my biggest break in my aviation career. The previous couple of years I had worked at Ramp 66 in North Myrtle Beach - very often working on the line pumping gas and washing airplanes from 5AM until 2PM, then flight instructing from 2PM to midnight for many, many days. Work, fly, sleep, work, fly, sleep was the mantra for much of that period. It was exhausting and fun for a guy in his early twenties.

In the period of working the line, I met many pilots from all walks of life. One of those pilots, Terry, was a corporate pilot for an outfit in Gastonia, North Carolina called TPT Aviation. They were what would be considered one of the earliest fractional outfits, although they operated under Part 91 of the FARs. Terry had seen me busting my butt and one day, out of the blue, he offered me an interview. With only a thousand hours in my logbook, and a stunningly little 27 hours of multi-engine time (I had only gotten my multi-engine rating 60 days prior), I drove up to Gastonia, just outside of Charlotte and took my interview trip with another pilot.

The pilot I flew with on April 22, 1997 was named Cliff, and I’m sure he was amused by how green I was. I was being thrown into the right seat of a Citation II, with the fastest thing I’d flown being a few hours in a Beech Baron.

My first leg that day was AKH-CLT, literally a five minute reposition flight over to Charlotte to pick up corporate passengers. My only responsibility in the right seat was to not touch a thing, and try to keep up with the radio calls. I can honestly say I will never forget that takeoff out of Gastonia (which was a stunningly short strip to be operating jets from might I add - at that time it was around 3,650’). That plane roared down the runway, the needles moved faster than anything I’d seen before (I know…the irony…a Citation) and everything happened at light speed. I think we were landing in Charlotte before I even said “Vee One”. Haha…I was so out of my element.

Cliff kindly shepherded me through the day as we hit Charlotte, Chattanooga, Calhoun-GA, back to Charlotte, and into Gastonia. I logged 4.0 of jet SIC that day. I drove back home to North Myrtle Beach that evening sure that TPT Aviation would want nothing to do with such a nervous wreck of a pilot that obviously had no business flying in anything faster than 140 knots or so.

To my great surprise, a few days later, Terry called and offered me the job. I was floored. For the next two weeks, I worked out my last days at Ramp 66, wrapping up students as fast as I could, finding them new instructors, and flying some additional single engine freight runs in the company Lances and Bonanzas.

On May 14, 2017 I officially became a corporate pilot at TPT Aviation.

But back to the X-Mas flight - we are taking a short and ambitious hop from Squamish, CA up to a backcountry strip at Chilko Lake Lodge (CAG3). This isn’t a trip you’d ever see a Citation doing…but hey, this is why we fly sims right?

The Carenado Citation II is pretty nice for X-Plane. It has some systems wrong, but overall it gives a very nice Citation feel. I need to update mine though because I did have some weird issue where my HSI CDI needle in FMS mode was flipping back and forth (it might have been related to my GTN integration in the panel).

A gloomy day in the Pacific Northwest again (imagine that!)…

Going to want to use all of the runway at Squamish and use a second notch of flap setting (I can’t remember what that is in the II, in the Ultra it is 15 degrees)…

Setting up the autopilot to capture 16,000’ for the short hop up to Chilko Lake…

The latest update to SkyMaxx Pro is looking pretty good actually…

This is that lower resolution World Ortho that I was talking about a few days ago. It actually looks pretty OK most of the time and loads very fast and has almost no performance hit…great for enroute flying…

The interior of the Carenado Citation II is a near spitting image of the one I flew at TPT Aviation (N758S)…

Of course, the Carenado panel is much more modern though. The II I flew had old Sperry steam gauges, a Trimble 2000 GPS (no moving map), no FMS, and no EFIS instruments…

This is what our Citation looked like, with that wonderful Sperry ball ADI that I’d later also fly in King Airs…

The Reality XP GTN 750 is an awesome box and looks great in the Citation panel. Unfortunately, it isn’t clickable in the 3D pit, so you have to pop it up to a 2D representation. I don’t know if anyone has fixed that integration yet…

The weather at Chilko Lake is reporting a couple thousand broken, and with no instrument procedures, I take advantage of spotting the south end of the lake early and descending down to follow it up to the field rather than risk getting caught on top…

Some speedbrakes to help in the descent…

In the Chilko Lake valley…very scenic!

Even at relatively low altitude, the low res ortho is OK enough to get the job done…

250-ish knots under 10K right?

At the north end of the lake I spot the dirt strip at Chilko Lodge…

Dirtying up to get down to a reasonable approach speed. I WAG the weight and guess at a 100 knot Vref…

Starting to rain a bit on short final. Wow that looks narrow!

The strip widens out on the south end, but constricts quickly…so “centerline” discipline is paramount here!

Down and the thrust reversers out. Definitely make sure they are idle reverse if not stowed completely by 60 knots or you could FOD the engine here for sure…

Used around 2,000’ from touchdown and had some room to spare at the end…

Taxiing back and checking out the wingtip clearance. Not much…maybe seven or eight feet per side…

Ready to do some fishing!

The 3D path in…

Starting with TPT Aviation marked a new and exciting part of my flying career. Their fleet was an interesting mix, the flights we did were a mix of corporate business and pleasure, and there were some very really challenges that would build my skill quickly. I am forever indebted to Terry for giving me the opportunity at such an early point in my career, and it opened a huge door that would eventually land me where I am today.

10 Likes

Don’t ask me how or why, but the story’s your telling with your AAR’s do a fantastic job of making a guy miss flying for a living (as a crew member), and question his career choices all at once. :rofl:

4 Likes

Well, I am happy to report that first Citation I flew (N758S) is still flying (apparently) and registered to Max-Viz corporation…although oddly it looks like it is registered as an “Experimental” aircraft. Looks like Max-Viz is an enhanced vision hardware company…

2 Likes

Still amazed that Tom Cruise flew his own helicopter stunts in Mission Impossible…

Great report there @Sine_Nomine - indeed, I’m always amazed by those reports of the helicopter crews that go out over the freezing ocean in their machines, to the limit of their fuel, and risk their lives to pluck people from certain death. An amazing job that must be simultaneously rewarding and terrifying. I’d lie awake at night think nightmarish thoughts…

2 Likes

Sometime later…

There I was at 11 thousand 500 feet and heading for the hard stuff below, flipping all of the switches and knobs, and trying not to panic. But, this was over partially obscured mountains without so much as a pot to ■■■■ in. OK, a Gatorade bottle. And then after losing about 2500 feet, so slowly the engines began to come back to life. Let’s call it ice, but I’m still not that convinced.

I slowly climb back to 12.5. With a sigh I lean back in my seat and the excess adrenaline gives me a shiver.

It takes me a while to relax. Actually, I didn’t completely regain sphincter control until sipping a Molson later that night at what might the only bar in the Bella Coola valley. It waaas served by a nice young lady in a camo T.

The rest of the flight is uneventful, if flying over mountains in a vintage aircraft in marginal weather to places unknown can be considered as such :slight_smile:

We pass over the VORTAC at Port Hardy.

That West coast thing.

My original route had us making a right pivot off of the Bella Bella NDB and working our way up the valleys to give a little more relaxed descent. But silly me forgot to lean the mixture after our engine out incident, and we burned a bit more fuel than planned. Wanting to leave enough for our “alternate” at Ocean Falls (CAH2), I mash the big D and enter CYBD.

I began a shallow descent to 9K, but held here until the GPS showed us over the South Bentinck Arm which in turn leads to the Bella Coola River. I couldn’t see Jack squat, but knew that it should be safe to descend over the rivers. Gently sloping valley walls keep us honest. The ceiling turned out to be about 1500 over, which gave me plenty of room to maneuver in the valley.

At last our destination appeared.

The old girl is incredibly stable on approach and flare.

As I prepare to pirouette the tail dragger, I see that not much has changed since the last visit. Maybe a fresh coat of paint on the sign?

Before we could lock her up, a few snowflakes sprinkle my ride. Welcome to Canada and the great Northwest.

8 Likes

Loving the golden brownish sepia tones of your shots. Very beautiful.

4 Likes

Thank you schurem. Adobe LightRoom gets all the credit though. An amazing program.

2 Likes

Some of those look like Christmas cards!

3 Likes

If Carenado ever releases that Beech 18 for X-Plane I’m going to have to buy it. Great AAR and screens Dan!

2 Likes

LEG 1 - Cessna 152 - Gastonia, NC (KAKH) - Mountain Air, NC (2NCO)
LEG 2 - Cessna 172 - Mountain Air, NC (2NC0) - Andrews-Murphy, NC (KRHP)
LEG 3 - Cessna 182 - Andrews-Murphy, NC (KRHP) - Tyndall AFB, FL (KPAM)
LEG 4 - T-34 Mentor - Tyndall AFB, FL (KPAM) - New Orleans, LA (KNEW)
LEG 5 - PA-28 Warrior - New Orleans, LA (KNEW) - Beaumont, TX (KBPT)
LEG 6 - PA-32 Lance - Beaumont, TX (KBPT) - Temple, TX (KTPL)
LEG 7 - Cessna 172RG - Temple, TX (KTPL) - Midland, TX (KMAF)
Intermission - Sub Orbital Flight
LEG 8 - A-36 Bonanza - Midland, TX (KMAF) - Albuquerque, NM (KABQ)
LEG 9 - Cessna 404 - Albuquerque, NM (KABQ) - Montrose, CO (KMTJ)
LEG 10 - Grumman AA-5B Tiger - Montrose, CO (KMTJ) - Salt Lake City, UT (KSLC)
LEG 11 - BE-58 Baron - Salt Lake City, UT (KSLC) - Johnson Creek, Idaho (3U2)
LEG 12 - Navion 205 - Johnson Creek, Idaho (3U2) - Mile Hi, Idaho (I97D)
LEG 13 - J-3 Cub - Mile Hi, Idaho (I97D) - Krassel, ID (24K)
LEG 14 - Mooney M20C - Krassel, ID (24K) - Enterprise, OR (8S4)
LEG 15 - Piper PA-44-180 Seminole - Enterprise, OR (8S4) - Hanel Field, OR (0OR9)
LEG 16 - BAC Jet Provost - Hanel Field, OR - S50 Auburn, WA
LEG 17 - Cessna 206 - Auburn, WA (S50) - Mears Field, WA (3W5)
LEG 18 - Beechcraft C-23 Sundowner - Mears Field, WA (3W5) - Squamish, Canada (CYSE)
LEG 19 - Citation II - Squamish, Canada (CYSE) - Chilko Lake (CAG3)

With my TPT Aviation interview and initial Citation flight on April 22, 1997, it would be a couple weeks later that I’d officially start the job. On May 14th, 1997 I had my second flight with TPT in their CitationCJ (the original CJ) N940SW. Our flight would be from Gastonia to Charlotte (12 miles!) to pick up executives and fly them down to Spalding, GA (6A2), then return them to Charlotte. The very few items I picked up on my first Citation flight three weeks earlier all went out the window as I was now confronted with an entirely different type of Citation. The CJ series differ quite a bit from the II/V/Ultra/Bravo type planes. Oh well, a lost puppy in Chicago is essentially the same thing as a lost puppy in New York.

We’ll be taking our NextGen CJ4X from Chilko Lake all the way over to Ketchikan International, Alaska - definitely the longest leg of our journey thus far at around 355nm.

For realism, I would have been way better off going with the EagleSoft/Flight1 Citation 525A or the Carenado 525A as they were the exact type of model I used to fly, but at near $40 for both, that wasn’t a pill I wanted to swallow. I picked up the NexGen CJ4X for around $8 I think on sale…so it will fill in. It is not a great airplane model or avionics or flight model…but it will suffice. The CJ4 is quite a bit larger and has more range than the original CJ.

Not too many Citations will ever see a grass field…

Off we go…

Turning to join our course to PAKT and climbing to FL240…

Nice weather in the first portion of our flight…

The NextGen CJ4X seems quite a bit overpowered to me. I don’t know if that reflects how it is in real life. Typically in the mid 30s I would have expected near the mid-90s on power settings to be up around Mmo. Our CJ1 was an early model and the new Williams F44 engines were giving us fits. We would often hit max takeoff ITT before we would reach charted N1 takeoff percentage. That is a problem because now you have no idea what your takeoff distance is really going to be. Operating from a 3,800’ long runway at our home base…it was…concerning…

About fifteen minutes into the flight and a low overcast would be all we’d see for most of the rest of the flight…

Starting to descent into PAKT - putting the engine and wing anti-ice on…

Looking kinda gnarly down there…

On the transition from Annette Island VOR to go do the ILS 11 with the full procedure turn. Definitely pay attention to those transition altitudes!

Procedure turn outbound…

Established inbound on the ILS - hey…my TCAS didn’t notify me of this guy!

Again, a reminder of why you stick to the black line on the charts and adhere to those charted altitudes. A mistake here will kill you…

PAKT coming into view through the murk…

No reversers on the CJ series. Saves weight and complexity, but jet pilots do like to have em’ for the additional margins they give…

The interesting sloped taxiway leading to the lower ramp at Ketchikan - I have no idea how they get planes up and down that when it gets snowy or icy out…

I’ve flown all those types! Hey…what’s that King Air doing there?

I hope to pick up the Carenado 525A CJ when it goes on sale. It wasn’t included in the most recent sale. I’d also rather have an X-Plane version, but that probably won’t happen anytime soon.

I really enjoyed flying the CJ in real life. It had a slightly more swept wing than the II and the V, making for a slightly better ride in turbulence, but at the cost of being a bit more active around Vref in gusty conditions. Our CJ had some teething problems as it was early in the production line. The aforementioned ITT problem, and twice the gear decided to extend on its own at near Vmo, ripping the gear doors off. The CJ had the Mickey Mouse ear thrust attenuators that I can’t say were worth the hassle of the mechanics of it. They disappeared on later models. It was also slow even by Citation standards with an Mmo of .71. Carrying 3,000 lbs. of fuel, you could only put two pilots and one passenger in the thing to reach MTOW, but somehow we managed to put four pax in ours and fly it to Mexico City without refueling. From a 3,800’ runway. In the summer. With ITTs on the red line. I apologize to all the cars and trucks on the airport perimeter that we scared as we skimmed over their rooftops at Vr+1…haha… Ah, the stupid things we did.

5 Likes

FYI - for those of you that might be heading off the west coast of the United States or via the Aleutians (like I’m going to have to) here is a link to the NOAA GOES WEST imagery. The page also includes links to the Japanese Hiwamari-8 imagery…

And a reminder that oceanic winds aloft can be found here:

1 Like

Hampton to Pago Pago Leg 8 - Antalya, Turkey to Aqaba, Jordan

As I mentioned above, my current strategy is to choose an aircraft registered in, or belonging to the military of the country where the leg originates. “OCD much Hangar200?”, I hear you say. Maybe…a little bit.

Starting in Antalya, Turkey I decided on a Turkish Air Force F-4E. (Later I found I had two more Turkish registered planes, but I had already taken a day to set up my TM Warthog HOTAS so…F-4E it is.)

This is the Milviz F-4E. It is a pretty good visual replica, outside and in, and the flight model “feels right”, like a heavy fighter when you get slow but a nimble rocket at high speed. I decided to use TACPACK with this flight, not because I wanted to shoot somebody down or drop bombs, but because I’m not sure if stores jettison works without TACPACK started. …and truth be told, if I’m low on gas and there is a Piper cub ahead of me to land, he’s going to eat a Winder.

Also as mentioned, I took about a day to go over the Milviz YouTube tutorial videos, then shoot a couple of approaches. For @Troll ‘s edification, evidently Viggens aren’t the only fighter I put into the dirt during pattern work.

A word about my route for this leg, and how I worked the navigation. As initially planned, the flight / mission was to be a high-low-high profile. I thought it would be fun to scorch down Lebanon’s Bakka valley at low level. I would fly over Turkey, drop down to skim the Syrian coast, to northern Lebanon, then shoot over to the Bakka Valley. When I got to the Sea of Galilee, I’d climb back up for the trip down the Jordan river valley and the Dead Sea, before descending for the approach to Aqaba (OJAQ). To navigate this route I used the INS and TACANs. In my iGMapHD, I edited the flight plan to substitute the TACAN channel instead of the VOR three letter ICAO code, so I would have to look it up from the frequency while airborne.

The morning of the flight I wake my new WSO. Crew rest is important but he can catch a few cat naps along the way.

The start up was going fine until I accidentally dumped the INS alignment. Whether a sim-ism or real, once dumped, you pretty much need to go shut down and start again…which I did. With a good INS, and everything else working it as time to taxi out.

At the end of the HABs, there is a large apron. Military transient parking? There are a couple of Forest Firefighting planes there.

There is also a Mi-8 Hip. For a second I thought it might be my Hip from DCS, but I soon saw that it wasn’t…the tail was still attached…after I land my DCS Hip, the tail is rarely still attached.

My taxi clearance was to RWY 18C. I really didn’t feel like taxiing all over the airport, so I made my way over to RWY 36C. FSX controllers only care that you are at a hold short for the active, not which end you are at. Winds were 176° at 9 kts, so a bit of a tail wind. Nothing my two J79-GE-17s can’t overcome in a few seconds.

I got cleared to take off, pulled on to the runway, stood on the brakes, ran up the engines to 80%-gauges were good-off the brakes and selected AB. Airborne with plenty of room.

Once airborne and cleaned up, I pulled the throttles out of AB, and set 100% mil power for the climb.

My cruise altitude was supposed to be 30,000 ft MSL. I got to 26,900 ft and found I couldn’t go higher with out going back into burner. The economy cruise figures I had looked at were for a 30,000 ft cruise…that was not going to happen.
I decided to call it “TOC” and settled in at that altitude.

Takeoff had been about 800 lbs under max operational weight. The jet was evidently still heavy. I figured the decreased cruise efficiency difference from a 4,000 ft lower altitude was probably less than spending a minute or so in AB. In hind sight, I should have picked a lower initial crime altitude until I burned off some gas. Even at 95% power I was still just making 250 KIAS. True speed was 386-ish but the plane felt too heavy until it lightened up.

The flight over Turkey was scenic but uneventful. I took the oportuity to have my “wingman” take a close in of myself and WSO.

Off my right wing I could see the northern part of Cyprus, including its long, thin eastern peninsula.

The Turkish / Syrian coast came into view.

A few miles from WP3, I initiated my dive to about 5000 ft.

I went back over land near the Turkish town of Arsuz, with in the “corner” of the eastern Mediterranean.

After a quick hop over the coastal mountains…

I was back over the sea…

… paralleling the Syrian coast.

I passed over Latakia, a major Syrian port.

Passing Tartus, I could see the Lebanese mountains up ahead.

Flying low over the foothills…

…the climate changed from lush mediterranean to arid semi-desert.

The road junction in the Lebanese town of El Qasr was my next waypoint. I needed to visually acquire it as I had already set my INS Nav Computer to the following waypoint, in order to have a reference heading from the turn. I hit it spot on and banked for a sharp turn.

I first was introduced to Lebanon’s Bekka Valley (or just “the Bekka”) way back in 1987, during a deployment with VF-32 on USS John F Kennedy (CV-67). At the time a few Americans, and a British “negotiator” named Terry Waite had been kidnapped by extremist groups in Lebanon. It was decided that the US needed a presence in the East Med. So off we went to “Bagel Station”, centered on 34N 34E, about 70 Nm from Beirut, and I did a month or so looking at bad guys and looking for air defenses in the Bekka Valley. Fun!

Here I am, over 30 years later, skimming over a much different Bekka Valley. (The default FSX scenery is way too sparse and too arid.)

At the end of the valley, I pop up to a higher altitude, but not too high.

At issue is fuel. Just before I got to Syria, my external wing tanks went dry. Now my center external is just about out. Given the distance I still have to travel, I am pretty sure that 10,000 lbs will suffice. So I head in over northern Israel at about 2,000 AGL, settling into about 5,000 ft MSL.

My WSO locked up a bogey ahead…

…looking…looking…I don’t see it.

Approaching the Dead Sea, I want to try something over the water…

…roll inverted and pull towards the deck…

…pull out at about 200 ft AGL…

…and sure enough, I’m flying below sea level!

OK, not that hard to do considering that the Dead Sea is 1412 ft below sea level. Still I have always wanted to do this, in a way recreating something I saw in 1993. During a port visit to Haifa aboard USS Guam, I took a USO tour to Masada (near the Red Sea). While there, I saw a couple pairs of IAF F-16s flying a similar low-level over the sea. They were approximately at eye-level to me on a hill so 200-500 ft AGL over the water. (Years later–2008–I had a moment of deja vu when in England. While visiting Hadrian’s Wall, I spotted two USAF F-16s flying a low-level in the valley to the north, again just about at my eye level as I stood at the wall.)

The south end of the Dead Sea comes up pretty fast at 350 kts. I pulled back up to a more modest altitude.

And ran into haze. OJAQ has an ILS but I’m not on an IFR flight plan (necessary in FSX to get clearance to fly an ILS approach). I take a quick look and my divert, the IAF’s Ovda air base which is at 1492 ft elevation and should be out of the haze. I change my TACAN from The Aqabar VOR to the Ovda VOR, CH 88X. I keep the Nav Computer on the Aqabar Waypoint. Of curse just after I do this…

The haze is gone. OJAQ is evidently VFR. The only other thing is the air traffic on radar.

I never see this bogey either. After a while, it is time tor shut down the radar in preparation for landing. The Master Caution light has come on for low fuel (under 4,000 lbs…I need to see if that can be adjusted). Still, rather use the fuel for a normal pattern approach, I decide to shoot a strait in visual for RWY 19.

Slow down. At 250 Kts , Gear and Flaps. Looking for “5 Doughnuts” Check. Landing Light. Slowing to 180 kts. Setting AOA and using power for glide slope.

I often forget to take screen shots during landing…I need to map it to a button. Regardless, the landing was good–AOA and on speed. Touched down, put the nose wheel on the asphalt and popped the drag chute.

The obligatory F-4E cool screen shot.

So as the drag chute goes flaccid so does my…um…“excitement” from flying the landing. I turn off the active…

…and taxi to parking.

The airport scenery is by Mahmoud Fadli and the VATSIM Jordanian FIR. It a fair mix of default and custom buildings that gets the job done.

Shut down, climb out and button up.

From here I’ve got two choices for my next flight but both are Royal Jordanian Airlines wide bodies…hmmm…what to do…:thinking:

8 Likes

Well…yes, I can see as it might be difficult to get them up that steep ramp in sow and ice…but I think getting them down the ramp in those conditions would be fairly strait forward…even easy, one might say…unless of course you mean to get them down safely and not crunch into the planes at the bottom…yeah…in that case it might be challenging. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That is a pretty cool detail. I remember some flying show a few years ago where they delivered that model of aircraft to someplace in the Middle East. Can’t remember if it was Turkey or Greece though…

I remember they were training the crews in how to use them and…uh…this happened…(it was Turkey!)

2 Likes

Some nice flat-hatting you did there! Nice leg…

1 Like

Actually, I’ve got a simNovel mission where an amphibian lands on snow/glacier on its belly, then puts down the gear. I give some semi-plausible reason for it in the novel. I cut it from the latest story line but will try to get it into the next one.

1 Like