The (re) Making of an A-10C Pilot - Part II

Today we finally got to do what all these missions have been leading up to - blowing stuff up with the gun (and rockets). We will head out to four target areas on the Syph Range and engage targets that are in the briefing. Along the way, we’ll receive lots of great information on ground attack from our wingman.

As we get cranked up other flights are going about their training day. Our instructor goes over a few housekeeping items while we are getting set up.

Once all of the other flights have sortied off the base, it is our turn to line up…

Climbing out over the ocean to receive some additional instructions and set up for the run toward the Syph Range…

Instructed to do our G-warmup…

Targets will be easy to find given they are marked with red smoke. There are plenty of other targets scattered around the range however, so we have to make sure we don’t engage the wrong targets!

Guns on the first target - rockets on the second - and whatever is left for target areas #3 and #4

Loving the new explosion and debris effects that DCS World 2.5 has brought…

We work our way to each target location. Toward the end, as I’m engaging the moving convoy, I do start to worry a bit about rounds left for the gun, but I get a bit more accurate and miserly with my shots and we go home with several hundred rounds left…

Nothing shoots back at us…so I know I’m on easy street with this mission.

We hit our last targets and get cleared off the range and back to base…

One step closer to graduation…!

8 Likes