The (re) Making of an A-10C Pilot

@BeachAV8R

“HAWG-11, I’ve got a phone number for you to call after you land. Advise when ready to copy.”

Hope they don’t fail you for not turning on the lights! :wink:

I’m TACTICAL man. Tactical.

Oh - you’ll see me. AFTER I BLOW UP YOUR BARRACKS. YES YOU WILL.

1 Like

I’m a virtual Air Force pilot…I can’t fly and write at the same time. Can I call ground instead?

Is your flight instructor by any chance related to the Falcon 4 ATC lady? Between her snark and her forcing me to step late, I’m half tempted to save a GBU-12 for her every mission.

He’s a dude. And he yells at me whenever I’m off heading or altitude. And he calls me cadet all the time with thinly veiled disgust.

NSFW (language)

2 Likes

Next up is the Instrument Approach & Landing mission. This is the kind of mission that is right down my alley…shooting approaches is one of the thing I enjoy most (in sims and real life). The plan for the mission is to proceed to a rendezvous point, take vectors from Batumi, shoot an approach to a touch and go, climb out, and take vectors for a second approach.

(Images have been increased in exposure so that there is something actually to see…!)

The cool green glow of the A-10C in bad weather is cozy…

The practice mission that accompanies the campaign series has a good bit poorer weather than the checkride sortie. Driving rain, low vis and fog along the coast…

You are given altitudes, headings, and speeds to fly by the mission scripting prior to being turned over to Batumi ATC for a vector to the final approach fix.

During the startup - don’t skip the TACAN and ILS…

One concern for this mission is that your wingman/instructor sort of “hawks” you all the way down, and is a bit of a collision risk at some points.

On the climbout after the touch and go. Don’t stay too shallow - there is significant terrain beyond the runway!

On a vector for the downwind before being turned over to Batumi ATC…

During the training mission, I had to go around due to traffic on the runway, which confused the mission a bit I think. I fixed this on the checkride by be aware of other traffic and slowing to provide my own spacing.

The actual checkride went smoothly. I had one deviation from heading due to me accidentally tapping one of my new rudder pedals while I was adjusting my seat. Doh!

Weather was a bit better on checkride day with less wind and no rain…

Flying the needles on the ILS…

Breaking out. The required landing area is pretty small for the mission - and technically, I think you are supposed to maintain on the glideslope and hit in the touchdown zone, but for this you’ll be required to dip below at the end to land in the required area.

Climbing out after the touch and go…then turning crosswind keeping an eye on the terrain…

On the downwind again…

Getting close to the final approach fix - ID #5 there is squeezing in front of us, so I slow to 130 to allow him time to hit the fix and land in front of us. Otherwise, I risk getting the go-around call…

Success…!

Qualified Minus due to a heading screw up…but otherwise I was happy with the mission!

BeachAV8R

5 Likes

For this mission, we will do some on-the-fly navigation utilizing the CDU to input new waypoints to the navigation system. This was another one of those interesting missions where I actually learned quite a bit about the CDU coordinate entry format and how to do it quickly.

I used the practice mission a couple of times to get up to speed, then flew the actual (graded) mission. Night sorties are fun in the A-10C and the cockpit has a warm glow to it even though there is a lot of business to be conducted. As usual, the checkride mission is a cold & dark scenario, and you must make sure you complete all of the required checklist items.

On the way to the Military Operations Area…

We are given some headings, altitudes, and airspeeds to fly on the way to the MOA. Once there, the instructor reads off coordinates that must be entered into the CDU.

I have to admit to being fairly unfamiliar with the CDU since most missions start with the waypoints pre-loaded. It was great to learn the input techniques using both LAT/LON and grid reference methods.

I had a few screw ups in the training scenarios. You have to manage a lot simultaneously, and the autopilot is your friend. Unfortunately, on this portion of a training hop, I was heads down puzzling over the grid entry system and I should have entered an orbit with altitude hold…instead I was in ALT/HDG mode and flew out of the MOA…

One of the nifty things I learned was that you can also enter your Time on Target using the CDU, which will then give you an early/late readout under the waypoint info so that you can arrive at the proper time. This checkride required you to manually enter a new waypoint in the CDU, along with an altitude and TOT so that you arrived on time. If you were early or late, you’d be penalized.

There was also a requirement to fly to a manually entered bullseye bearing/range, and a TACAN navigation segment back to the airfield.

At the end of the checkride, I had done pretty good, but I missed my first waypoint by being early, so I only hit three of the four waypoints on time (there was no time requirement on the TACAN waypoint), but I still qualified (minus) and passed the ride…!

4 Likes

BFT-11 Formation Flying is going to be a fun one. Just finished the practice mission…t’wasn’t pretty…but I would have passed it…!

This morning we will fly an evaluation ride to demonstrate our ability to hold formation while maneuvering as a wingman. We will head to the Military Operations Area (MOA) and join up on our instructor and attempt to stay on his wing throughout a series of basic maneuvers.

As usual, a cold & dark cockpit with a graded start-up procedure is used - “don’t forget any steps Cadet…!”

Although I know it isn’t true, it sure seems like my aircraft is getting dirtier and dirtier…

After a few minutes, we are blasting off toward the MOA…

I follow the assigned headings, altitudes, and airspeeds and make the rendezvous with the instructor. As instructed, I join his wing on the right side. Technically, I should be further forward, putting his wingtip near the bottom of of canopy rail, but this position actually lets me see him a bit better and react. The AI instructor isn’t the smoothest flying cat on the base after all…

We make some turns, climbs, descents and I pretty much stay where I’m supposed to. I drift out twice and get admonished that I’m out of formation, which will count against me in the evaluation…

Soon our circuitous route brings us back on the downwind at Batumi and I’m released to land and receive my evaluation…

I was just happy to pass - if I hadn’t slipped back a bit too far on two occasions, I would have gotten a Qualified rating instead of Qualified Minus, but I was OK with the dings…

So only one more mission awaits and I will graduate from the Basic Flight Training course!

5 Likes

Here we are! The twelfth mission - sort of the graduation exercise! Our mission for today is a low-level sortie where I’m supposed to stick with my flight lead as we hit our flightplan waypoints on time.

My final cold start of the BFT campaign…! Making sure I hit every switch or I’ll get marked down on the evaluation…

After takeoff, I follow instructions that led me to the rendezvous with my instructor…

Along the way, I get briefed on the mission and pick up some tips…

We loiter for a bit before we hit the PUSH time, then nose over and head for the first waypoint on the low-level route…

Having flown the practice mission, I know there is a distance that is ideal. If you drift too far, you get admonished for being too far out of position, and too close and you get yelled at too…

The first part of the low-level goes into the sun. The timing isn’t as important as staying in formation since the lead is flying the waypoints to arrive on time, but the AI isn’t the smoothest pilot in the world, so you have to keep on your toes watching for heading, altitude, and speed changes…

After hitting all the waypoints, we exit the MTR and I’m cut loose to fly to Kobuleti for the final landing of the campaign…

Kobuleti is a new field for this campaign since all of the other missions have been flown from Batumi. I check the frequencies and make sure I don’t screw up the last few minutes of the sortie…

Upon landing, we are given instructions to taxi to a specific revetment to shutdown. The shutdown procedure must be accomplished fully in two minutes or less or else you earn a Qualified Minus rating…

I whirl through the shutdown procedure…and have a spare twenty seconds to double check everything. I have to say, this final mission was the best I’ve flown (with regards to my performance) in the entire campaign - I was not out of position a single time, I hit every waypoint, I performed the start and shutdown procedure without any errors, and all of the other measured items were rated as Qualified. I don’t think I flew another mission in the whole campaign where I was perfect on every tasking…! It sounds silly, but I was darned proud of myself…!

I have officially earned the A-10C Basic Qualification Graduate badge…!

I hope you enjoyed the campaign. It is an impressive bit of work that went into building this campaign, creating all the triggers, monitoring parameters, voice-overs, and briefings. It is a real value at $10 (in my opinion) and a positive steal at the $4.99 sale price that I picked it up at. As most of you know, I’m a big fan of content like this - stuff that keeps the sim interesting with goal oriented stuff. Sure, it is probably really “BASIC” for many of you, but for someone like me that has been away from the A-10C for a couple years now, it was a fun and challenging campaign. The great news is - there is more to come!

Chris “BeachAV8R” Frishmuth

7 Likes

That is very, very cool! I don’t think that I have the patience to get through all of that! The procedures and details would, likely, quickly overwhelm me :slight_smile:

Like Air to Air Refueling! I recommend several Margaritas so that your movements will be in tune with the boom operators!

Should be a lot of fun Beach. You’ve made me want to go through these two courses as well.

Good thing is with the air force style of tanking, all you have to do is sit there while they do all the work :wink:

You’ve forgotten the wild dashes as they decide to slam the throttle forward in the front office because, screw you and your desire to take in fuel :wink:

Nice write up Beach! Now get on Blue Flag and let’s blow sh!t up!

Oh a mudspike organized Blue Flag! I’ll happily play Mirage or F-5 bombtruck for you A-10 laser ships :wink:

I purchased this content back when I was attempting to learn the A-10C about a year ago now. Apparently, I’m a complete bumbling idiot because I couldn’t even figure out how to complete the first test. Granted, it wasn’t because I didn’t know where things were (although there were a number of items that I don’t include in my normal Chuck’s Guide/Youtube learned startups), it was more that I couldn’t figure out if the instructor was first walking me through the process and THEN the testing would start or if I was supposed to click on the item as it was called out the first time. Now that 2.5 is here, maybe I’ll give it another go in VR and things will become a bit more clear.

Also need to figure out if I can re-download the content from the DCS site as I’m pretty sure I accidentally erased it in a full re-load of DCS World for 2.5. (Whoops!)

The first series (the Basic Qualifications) was much more difficult in my opinion because the checking/testing sequence literally looked at nearly every single switch that is supposed to be thrown during the start and shutdown sequence. You could easily fail or get a Q- for something like forgetting the pitot heat or not doing the O2 display system test. The frustration DID drill all that into me, but there were times I wanted to punch my monitor. LOL. And that aerobatic test was the worst…apparently I’m a very bad aerobatic pilot.

I hope I don’t get frustrated enough to punch my monitor as in VR that would be like punching myself in the eye.

1 Like