Total departure from current topics :)

2 Likes

Every last one a fantastic movie! I have not seen the French :fr: ones (this I shall remedy soon!), anyone see the Red Barron (2008)?

1 Like

Always…kinda sappy, but I loved it…

5 Likes

Good lord, I totally forgot about that one! I love that one!

1 Like

Good pick! That one was based on the wartime film A Guy Named Joe.

2 Likes

Porco Rosso, for sure.

Dark Blue World, don’t think I saw that above.

1 Like

FTFY… :wink:

3 Likes

Quax, der Bruchpilot.
A bit hard to get and also in german language.

Filmed in 1941, the flying sequences had to be filmed by Heinz Rühmann himself - The hired pilot broke his leg and pilots were kind of scarce back then in germany.

YT has a trailer, look out for „Filmvorschau“. Imdb has a summary of the story.

2 Likes

I’ll be the weird one and say that I loved deeply:

Firefox, Catch 22, Porco Rosso, Hot Shots! and Flight of the Intruder.
The last one despite the complete departure from the book, the cringe worthy acting (not you Mr. Dafoe, sir) and the average SFX.
Someone should re do it with A10s in a imaginary Cold War gone hot scenario in Europe…
Also, yes… The first minutes of Behind enemy lines. Only the aircraft carrier scenes- stopping exactly before any other action scene starts…

2 Likes

Dr. Strangelove, if that counts. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ooooh I forgot that one!!

Nobody votes for Pearl Harbour? :grin:
I seriously liked the Battle of Britain scenes (all 15 seconds of footage). The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour itself wasn’t to bad either. Those in cockpit shots though…

For me, the best scenes in a movie with real aircarft are from Final Countdown. Didn’t one pilot almost buy the farm during the shoot but managed to pull up close to the ocean?

1 Like

I can’t believe I forgot Firefox! In the 80s I watched that one more than Top Gun, Final Countdown, Iron Eagle, and the BEST helo movie…Blue Thunder!..combined.

The main thing about those older films is the dialogue. Modern films the lines work, but they’re rarely memorable.

“Catch ya later!”

“Your papers are not in order.”

You get one guess as to which films those two lines were from.

1 Like

Bringing this together briefly with another topic…

Otherwise, I do remember also having watching the Red Barron movie online awhile back. I don’t remember anything in particular about it other than I saw it, so I’m going to go out on a limb and say it wasn’t much of an aviation movie as it was something else.

Can’t really think of anything that wasn’t mentioned, but will second Tora! Tora! Tora! even if it isn’t really an aviation movie either.

1 Like

Hot shots.

2 Likes

All of those mentioned, plus that Korean one named “R2B”.
Like most it is pretty unrealistic but entertaining.

Something that totally slipped my mind - remember the scenes (mostly internal cockpit) but the movie FailSafe 1964?

Without going to IMDb.
Henry Fonda, Walter Matthau, and a young Larry Hagman as the interpreter?

Wheels

1 Like

That one nearly gave me nightmares…

Yes, it could give one a drinking problem.

2 Likes