Tried VR sim'ing finally

Appreciate it. That’s about what thought, based on some minor research - it may bump things a bit but is it worth the money/time/effort? Not enough, and a new system is being saved for next year.

2 Likes

Hmm what headset were you using? I don’t have Aerofly, but if it goes on sale I might get it just to see how it runs on the Q2.

All my DCS stuff has except the first few attempts are using Steamlink, and wired. Haven’t tried Virtual Desktop yet probably the next step.

Hmm If I can get some time on a G2 I’d definitely be interested to try something with better clarity.

I’m an outlier than, my first flight sim was MS Flight Sim 1 on an Apple 2E.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback and suggestions (I need to reinstall IL-2 I guess), I’ll update this as I have new opinions.

3 Likes

IIRC that one was ‘high tech’ compared to the PC I had. I was envious when it came out but, alas, I was doing other things on the DOS platform - so got stuck in that lane.

1 Like

Steam has a pretty good return policy. You could download the sim, take a look and then return it, then at least you would get a chance to take a look at what’s possible, even if its turns out to not be your cup of tea.

I’m currently on the Quest 3, but for Aerofly, that’s a moot point. The graphics are still stunningly clear, even on the Quest 2 (I wish I knew exactly why…)

Virtual desktop provides additional clarity by using custom vr software and an extremely efficient streaming codec, with the effect that graphics seem significantly clearer, most especially on a Quest 3.

Added to that is the software’s ability to alter streaming rates etc in real-time, to maintain the best available image quality for your connection and hardware.

Steam VR is almost as good, but with a slightly fuzzier image from my experience, with surprisingly nice FPS, overall.

A quick look: Note I am not pushing Aerofly, as I know many more hardcore simmers miss features from older and more detailed sims. I’m just noting the absolute clarity.

1 Like

I had a intel i5 9600 before the 5800x3d. It made a huge difference.

About 80% of my time in DCS is running instant action runs. The viper canyon run. The A-10 nevada CAS scenario. The MiG-15 2v2 dogfight.

Regarding the Quest 2 and DCS, my friend reports the issues are fixed with the new DCS patch.

I guess Meta pushed the Quest software update on the announced release date of the DCS patch, but then the DCS patch got delayed…

1 Like

So the 2.9.3.51704 patch is supposed to work fine? I believe that’s what I’m on, I’ll do some more testing this evening.

1 Like

That is a good point, I hadn’t thought about going that route.

1 Like

Yes, whatever the latest 2.9.3 patch is - there’s no difference between stable and openbeta any more.

1 Like