Vacationing in the UK - Wales edition

agreed… I thought de-railing was a requirement here :laughing:

3 Likes

I think we have a thread derailer badge we do it often enough around here :laughing:. I didn’t see you post before it was deleted, but I’m sure whatever it was fine.

1 Like

I have to be in the running for one of those :roll_eyes:

@Keets, thanks for the suggestions!

The current plan is fly into Heathrow, take the train to Cardiff and get a car there. In the even to of a rail strike or similar, the backup is rent a car at Heathrow and get my introduction to driving in the UK on the M4 (which considering I don’t have to worry about which side to be on, might not be a bad thing). We’ll spend a few days in Cardiff , and then transition up to Betws-y-Coed (and thank you for adding the pronunciation, the wife and I had that one way wrong) for the rest of the week before driving to York.

As per the consensus here, Swindon will be avoided at all times.

3 Likes

As long as you remember that the right hand lanes are now the fast/overtaking lanes :wink:

Next to Snowdon, consider doing the zip wire. They take you on a baby one first, then the real thing. The safety procedures are impressive. Both Fliss and I really enjoyed it

2 Likes

And when you step off the sidewalk LOOK to the right. Scared the poo out of me in Sydney. :grimacing:

1 Like

Now that you mention it, I reckon it was easier for me to get used to driving in the US than being a pedestrian.

1 Like

The day we did it, it was raining (there’s a theme isn’t there?), rain hitting your face/your face hitting rain, at 90mph stings much more than I thought. :joy:

3 Likes

To reassure the traveller @jenrick that it does not always rain in Wales. When Fliss and I did Velocity 2 it was a day for T shirts. Blue skies and warm. So it does not always rain in Wales. Took a long time to see such a day though.

3 Likes

I just received my attendance advice/instructions for the Dragon Rally in Wales next week and it says:

it will be wet, cold & windy

3 Likes

According to the stats over the last 30 years, we’ve had 168 days of >1mm of rain per year.

…… the other 197 days, it was just under 1mm. :joy:

I jest, it really isn’t that bad. We have proper weather is all. If it’s wet, it’s wet, if it’s windy it’s windy, if it’s cold it’s cold and if it’s sunny it’s a miracle.

3 Likes

What exactly constitutes “warm?” Here in Texas anything below 70F is long sleeves weather.

Lol, got it.

3 Likes

When we moved from North Scotland to Lincolnshire we did not appreciate how warm we would find England. Our winter coats and heavy jumpers rarely see the light, and never together. I think you would find a Welsh warm day to be chilly.

1 Like

Where did you move from?

Totally agree with @Scoop, I think you’ll find a typical April warm day on the chilly side.

That said it depends where you are and the wind direction.

Mid Wales, the average max temp (according to the google) is 12.7 deg C / 55 deg F. Cold day min temp is: 2.9 deg C

It does get warmer and starts to get extended dry periods the closer you get to May.

Remember the above is average max temp, so there are higher temps and exceptions. The first year of Covid when we were first locked down, April and May were amazingly sunny and clear, temps up at 19 degrees.

1 Like

Just for laughs I looked it up (climate diagrams), and maybe it helps our American friends that Wales in May is roughly comparable to Maine in May. Just a tad more rainy and a bit colder at night.

So if you are from anywhere in the south it will probably feel rather cold.

2 Likes

Upper Balquhindachy.

South east of Turriff, north of Old Meldrum. North of Aberdeen airport.

Very nice house with good views on a hill top, just able to see my neighbour. Single track road needed a 4x4 in winter. Cold, windy, foggy (east coast haar). North of Old Meldrum house prices drop remarkably, but it was a long drive to get anywhere.

1 Like

Oh, I’m glad you mentioned Aberdeen, because up to then I was thinking “Huh?” never heard of those! But then I’d never heard of a lot of places I went to when I lived on the north coast of Scotland, either, so no big surprise.
I remember doing my paper round in near horizontal hailstorms and trawlers between the mainland and Orkney just disappearing without trace. A wild place, considering it’s the UK.
The Wash (the general area I live in now) has it’s own set of unsavoury weather patterns, but nothing like that. Wind, wind and more wind is the only constant here, but mostly in the 15-45 mph range. In Scotland just under 100mph was not unusual.

So long as it’s not too bad in Snowdonia next week, that’s the main thing :slight_smile: and so far the forecast is looking quite nice.

1 Like

It was a three room cabin when we bought it though.

But also, hot and dry in Summer

You have just described where we moved to… :slight_smile: