Virtual F16 dogfighting live

Ha! You can say that again. These things get bonded with marketing campaigns pretty quick too. Remember when everything went ‘digital’? Being a golfer I recall the ads for clubs and balls that attached, somehow, digital to the marketing. And of course now I can get a driver that is “Designed by AI…”.

To me it seems not so much about the software engineering (of the AI, though it is significant) as the processing power needed, once you ‘code it up’; the AI in the video probably couldn’t have landed the aircraft. Actually, I think I heard that.

DCS would be near perfect platform for anyone to try their hand in developing an AI pilot. Just put it on server dogfighting volunteers and learning in the process.

Would be nice exercise in AI programming.

You guys forgot the most famous digital catchphrase of the past 20 years “blockchain.”

I didn’t know about ‘em, so…I guess…that means…? :crazy_face:

1 Like

Matching patterns can be a wanted side effect, but what it really does is called optimization. That is, you have to provide the agent some sort of cost function (for example, how far is my gun cone away from the enemy plane), and the agent will adjust itself so this cost function is minimized (it will “learn” to put the thing on the thing). Mathematically you can picture it as finding the minimum of a function. Just that your function has a lot of dimensions.

1 Like

You obviously know this stuff well from what was it, cow fertility related AI research? You also explain it well mate. Thanks for this interesting discussion :salute:

TBH, i have barely scratched the surface. What I’ve done doesn’t go beyond cook book level application. There are already several lifetimes worth of knowledge on this and i’ve barely spent a year dipping my toe in it. So the one thing i’m reasonably competent with is that i don’t know jack about AI. :wink:

1 Like

Haha, AI version of Socrates’ schtick when he was told he was so wise.

Mover is currently interviewing Heron Systems and it looks like the winner of the DCS Fold Of Honour BFM comp is getting to fight the Heron AI Falco!!

The player just needs XPlane 11 which was the environment used.

Folds of Honour BFM finals weekend