VR News: HP Reverb - Second Gen headsets are on the way

Yes…they are fine really. I have relatively large hands that make it over the angles fine…but smaller hands might not dig the reach required maybe. The O+ was definitely better.

In X-Plane now…

2 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing @BeachAV8R. The screens are impressive.

How sharp are objects at a distance? Is it possible to distinguish a Mustang from a 109 at a few thousand meters? How about a Sabre from a MiG?

3 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: VR Eye Test

X-Crafts ERJ-135 - very nice. Performance is very good (I’ll try to jot down some numbers at some point…just on a world tour of VR stuff at the moment)… Instrument panel sharpness is just awesome. These pics are a bit bigger (size and MB) to maybe start to show some of the resolution…but still hobbled by the iPhone being pressed into the face-mask…so they are better in real life.

Oh wow…

6 Likes

I think the pics are very nice, but we’re all after your comparison thoughts after lots of time in the Rift CV1 and Odyssey Plus. So, just as many words as you can manage even if the pics are hard to take. :vr:

EDIT: Good grief X-Plane looks amazing.

I’ll try to get to this testing. Probably not tonight as I have an early flight tomorrow and am still catching up on a ridiculous night last night. Pretty excited to check out the Tomcat and Hornet…

Roger - will give that a whirl…

Well, I think those that say “this is the headset you’ll want if you are a seated sim guy” are probably accurate. So far the performance, tracking (both hand and HMD), and image quality are unparalleled. I don’t have a Rift S or Pimax, so I can’t compare to those, and of course the coming Valve Index are all in the arena and I just don’t have the experience with those to compare.

Compared to the CV1 it is night and day. Compared to the O+, it is a pretty big jump just because the clarity is superb.

Initial impressions for sure - and I haven’t touched P3D, DCS, and stuff like Fallout yet…but so far I am very, very impressed.

7 Likes

3 Likes

Worth mentioning that the center of most of these “through the lens” shots is more indicative of the wider view when actually in the headset. You can see how things are blurrier as you move outward from the center focal point in these pictures, but that area is much, much wider in the headset. I’m guessing it is that way in these pics because of the distance from the screen the lens of the iPhone has to be, and also the FOV of the iPhone is way smaller.

Hard to describe and show pics of VR of course.

3 Likes

5 Likes

That Hornet right panel shot looks good. The HUD ones sort of suffer from cramming the iPhone in there I think.

You getting ok performance so far?

At your 188% SteamVR SS settings you’re pretty much identical to the resolution of how you were running the O+ supersampled anyway, so even with this better clarity it should be pretty similar?

1 Like

5 Likes

Very good performance. In these light - non conflict type DCS missions anyway, super fluid. I’ll get some FPSvr numbers tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have to call it a night early tonight though…(I know…boo!)… Just have to get some sleep. Will get back at it tomorrow evening!

5 Likes

How about at low level in the Caucasus map with lots of trees, looking off to the side? Resolution looks great!

1 Like

In that last Harrier shot, I’m seeing some pretty good detail at distance. That’s encouraging.

1 Like

On that subject (as not sure where to put this in our 1 million VR threads (sorry non-VR people)) that I learnt recently about WMR and motion reprojection, and is pretty non-obvious, but explains some things I saw:

• If a game can reach 60 fps the WMR with the default.vrsettings set to ‘auto’ will use something called ‘motion temporal reprojection’, which is the Microsoft clone of ‘Async Space Warp’ on the Oculus side. It looks ahead frames to work out an in-between frame that’s pretty convincing. This allows the trees to appear smooth at 90 Hz in the headset, but DCS needs to reach about 60 fps.

• If a game only reaches about 45 fps then WMR falls back to ‘asynchronous rotional reprojection’, which is what the old ‘Async Time Warp’ used to be on Oculus, i.e. ok for moving your head around, but bad at predicting things moving outside the cockpit. When you see the cockpit moving ok but the trees to the side ‘jumping’ in WMR then it’s using reprojection but falling back to what it can do.

I didn’t realize before why it falls back to the older algorithm like that, but does explain what people see.

It’s also why DCS will just stick at 45 fps even if motion reprojection is not set to ‘auto’ in that config file or everything is left as defaults - it’s because it defaults to the old ‘asynch rotational reprojection’ by default unless the ASW equivalent is enabled or the app is reaching 90 fps.

It will be interesting if the DCS VR optimizations allow more people to get to 60 fps with more settings maxed out. In my experiments with the WMR reprojection, the ‘motion temporal reprojection’ is very good, i.e. very smooth sideways trees.

REF: Using SteamVR with Windows Mixed Reality - Enthusiast Guide | Microsoft Learn

Oh, plus should say. You can turn things on and off in the SteamVR settings stuff for the Valve ‘motion reprojection’ and all those things, then it’ll be completely ignored by the WMR headset. If you see any difference using those settings then it must be a placebo, as the reprojection steps only happen on the Microsoft driver side using its own rules/steps mentioned above I believe.

6 Likes

Besides these two requests - anyone have anything in particular they’d like to see? My trip cancelled this morning, so I’ll get to spend a bit more time with the Reverb.

I’m also going to check out watching a movie in it, and Virtual Desktop. Judging from Steam Home, I’m thinking Virtual Desktop is actually going to be something that works well at this higher resolution.

2 Likes

So getting back to this - the Skechers felt fantastic - of course, this is my fourth pair of them, so it wasn’t like I was surprised by their comfort or bulk.

Skechers make you feel a bit like Jesus walking over the water on the ramp. That 1"+ sole keeps your socks dry. Not so important on an 80 degree morning in Charlotte, but you’ll appreciate it on that 36 degree day at Burke Lakefront.

Slick laces move effortlessly through the “shoe halyards” (does a halyard have to have a block @Hangar200?) cinching nicely and providing a firm foot/shoe connection. The thick soles might prevent a bit of feel on the rudder pedals, but when you put your foot in motion to kick the tires before lighting the fires (barf) the weighty shoe has a pendulum effect that really will make your mechanic wince as you haul off on that 8-ply Michelin.

So there ya’ have it.

Visitors to this thread are now thoroughly confused as to what they are witnessing. Excellent.

13 Likes

And in fact this thread should be about speakers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wowah mule. So Msr. Wikifrog, does this mean that WMR headset users should just leave SteamVR settings as default and not worry about resolution settings? Or are you referring to other settings?

1 Like

How is the wear and tear on those?

And are the laces coated in that magic substance that makes them come undone all the time?

And is it hard to re-tie laces in the pilots chair or is everything in the way?

Oh! And how about toe comfort? Good space?

Incomplete review. I rate it 6/10.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes