VR News: HP Reverb - Second Gen headsets are on the way

Wow… this looks simply incredible. What do you need to connect, exactly? The CV1 has that HDMI and USB cable, which makes it incredibly annoying to set up since I need to crawl all the way under my desk to plug it every time I need it. I heard the HP Reverb had just a single USB 3.0 cable… is that true?

1 Like

It needs 1x USB 3.0 and the video via a DisplayPort 1.3 socket rather than HDMI. Some older cards just have DP 1.2, so worth checking. HP puts the minimum spec as a Nv 1080 card. Crawling still required. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like @fearlessfrog indicated - a USB 3.0 port and DisplayPort 1.3 together. And it really is less a cable than a piece of rebar. LOL…not really…but it is a bulky cable.

The Rift S also requires a DP connection and the cord is very similar imo.

One comment from some other forums today was about the Reverb’s ability to show 3D well or not.

@BeachAV8R, how is that 3D effect, at least compared to the Rift and O+? Given you’ve not mentioned it I guess it can’t be an obvious issue but interested if you could test for it explicitly. Perhaps just sit in the Harrier cockpit and see if the UFC sticks out nicely or something?

Interesting in that I really don’t know what to look for with regards to that. By that I mean, I didn’t really notice any startling difference in 3D presentation or quality of 3D. The UFC on the AV-8B looks super…very 3D and I have no issues at all with that aspect of the Reverb…

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

Still my favorite after all these years…

1 Like

A nice side effect of the higher resolution is that I can make out the Kuztensov landing area and centerline from further away now. With the Rift and O+ it was always a bit hard to tell if I was lined up until I got closer in, but now at around 4.2 or 4.3 km things start to get easier to see and I can make out the centerline stripe which helps with lineup…

How do I prevent my computer from updating Windows? Apparently today it auto downloaded an update, but I don’t want to install it (due to that previous WMR issue). But now when I go to shut down, I only see options to Update and Shut Down and Update and Restart…? I don’t want to do either… :thinking:

It’ll be a 1809 update. I think it’ll be a while till they force 1903.

Also worth saying, we still don’t have direct evidence it impacts the Reverb. The O+ for sure, but you’re the only one I know with a Reverb and you’re still on 1809. :slight_smile:

Ah…OK…I wasn’t aware the 1903 bug was O+ specific, I might have wrongly assumed it was WMR-wide. Cool. Maybe I should try the 1903 again though. But…things are working pretty good. LOL

Anyway, gotta run to bed unfortunately. They had me out from 10PM to 11AM this morning and I’m struggling to keep up. A few days off coming starting tomorrow though, so more Reverb stuff starting then!

1 Like

Btw, the easiest way to tell is to change your wee…

SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

…file so that it “motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled” : true, as that way you get the blue/red small squares in the top left (with reprojection on and “motionReprojectionMode” : “auto”).

If you then change the “renderTargetScale” : 2.0 to be 1.0 instead you should see the squares ‘move in’ nearer the center of the screen, as the resolution is lower.

On 1809, when I do that it’s really obvious the base resolution is changing when I change the renderTargetScale, while on 1903 (as well as being blurrier in games) changing that same thing made no difference - like it was stuck at “renderTargetScale” : 1.0 whatever I did.

If you do go to 1903 and try that it would be good as it would be a definite answer on if the bug impacts Reverb or not.

1 Like

Cool. I will try that first thing tomorrow. :+1:t2:

1 Like

If your pc is just updated itself than you can delete the latest patch and go back to the previous version. Here is the article that shows you how to do that:
windows roll back builds

Btw, I ordered my Reverb, but Reddit and other sim forums are full of broken devices. Black or flickering screen, no sound, connectivity problems. I’m thinking about cancel my order because of these issues. I hope yours will work properly.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums @airsheep - yes, I’ve been watching all those reports on Reddit and am thankful that I’m not experiencing any of those issues. I’ve seen all kinds of speculation on USB power, mobo power, etc… I’ll be curious to follow along and see what develops, and fingers crossed that I got one of the good ones.

OK - did that. Interestingly - in that default setting, the reprojection indicator is not visible if I look at it, but is with my more sensitive periphery vision. In the O+, it was a bit more on the screen, which does make me feel that the Reverb has a few degrees narrower a FOV in my case. I don’t have the headset really clamped down on my face though (I have the top band taking most of the weight) for both comfort and fear that my glasses will touch the lenses.

OK - I did that…but those squares only moved a smidge further in. Noticable yes, but not a huge leap.

OK - (re) updating to 1903 now, so we’ll see what happens.

1 Like

Installed 1903 and no matter whether I change renderTargetScale to 1.0 or 2.0, the squares stay in the same spot. So it would appear that the bug affects the Reverb as well.

1 Like