VR News: HP Reverb - Second Gen headsets are on the way

When I was trying it a while back I wasn’t sure if it was working (I tried it without exiting first and it seemed to have no effect), so I exited both DCS and SteamVR between each change. I thing you have to exit at least DCS for the change to take effect. But I’m not certain on that.

(This was with a Lenovo Explorer, so changes are less obvious than I imagine they are with the Reverb. Also this was a while ago.)

1 Like

I tried bumping up to 200 and 250 just to see if it made any difference and I saw no discernible difference in quality by going higher that 188. I was using the F-5E cockpit and some small lettering as a test subject and could see no improvement in clarity or sharpness by going higher with the SS settings.

2 Likes

Good news :+1: thanks

Interesting to hear since when running the O+ on native resolution, it leaves a lot to desire.

MRTV mentioned in his German video that it should be available in Germany at some point.

2 Likes

Hey Chris, next time you are just sitting at the PC with the Reverb around and get a moment, could you open up a Windows cmd windows (just run ‘cmd’) and type the following:

cd \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\bin\win64
vrcmd.exe

The SteamVR vrcmd just provides some text output diagnostics, so interested to see the output from the Reverb as a ‘holographic.WindowsHolographic’ device from that.

It’s Father’s Day Weekend…everyone is leaving me alone and I get to pick what’s for dinner. So certainly…I can do that…! BRB

2 Likes

1 Like

Looks like 2208 x 2160? Which does match what 188% is in SteamVR…unless that is just reporting that very setting.

1 Like

Cool - thanks for doing that. Yep, it’ll be whatever is set for the SteamVR SS. Was curious on the projection dimensions when compared to the different sized O+ screens.

After all those worries about the Reverb not being able to be usable at those high resolutions, and we’re seeing O+'s having to push more pixels. Here’s my output:

Device 0 - holographic.WindowsHolographic - Samsung Windows Mixed Reality 800ZBA by WindowsMR - HMD - generic_hmd
                D3DAdapterIndex:   0
                 RecommendedRenderTargetSize: width=2076, height=2592
                 Left Projection: left=-1.243206, right=1.040720, top=-1.430265, bottom=1.422058
                Right Projection: left=-1.048342, right=1.230648, top=-1.423027, bottom=1.421782
                Lens Center: (0.000000, 0.000000), (0.000000, 0.000000)
                Tracking universe: 7456592166800

Just goes to show that having the pure pixel resolution (and the RGB stripe vs pentile sub-pixel layout) does really help the clarity after all…

1 Like

Interesting - does that mean the O+ is actually having to work the GPU harder despite having a lower native pixel count?

Yes, by about 611,000 odd more pixels.

4 Likes

Very…!

So Beach you have done an EXCELLENT job reviewing this new headset. Comfort, screenshots, settings…you name it. However, what you appear to be missing is a comparison with a Rift S, so perhaps you could send that unit to me and I’ll give you my impressions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Rocket science to me. But certainly encouraging.

One quick question…does the Reverb offer a small nose gap like the Rift where you can see things? Comes in handy for writing down coordinates and what not.

Even better, it has a hinge that allows you to tilt the headset up about 5 degrees or so to allow you to peek under without having to remove it. It is supremely convenient for me. My one caution is…this headset is so compact and light…the size of the actual “eye box” is pretty small. Like I mentioned before, I wear glasses and I have two pair…one are smaller and one are larger. I wear my small set with this headset and they feel fine - my bigger set would not fit comfortable in the visor. I almost feel there should be a market for small form factor, lightweight and nonintrusive VR glasses. Of course, I’ll be ordering WidmoVR lenses the day they are available for the Reverb.

1 Like

fearlessfrog where does the default.vsettings file reside on a default installation?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Specter - the default vsettings are:

(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

So unless you have redirected your Steam folder somewhere else, you should find it in there.

1 Like

Brilliant, thank you.

1 Like

Some users on dcs forum are reporting the lack of a proper 3d effect with the reverb comparing to the rift or odyssey.
Cam i ask if you are feeling the same?
Thanks

1 Like

Can you define this? Or is it a familiar term that I am not understanding :slight_smile:

1 Like