VR News: HP Reverb - Second Gen headsets are on the way

It looks like it could be a great headset. That was a really good review too.

Iā€™m really looking forward to the @BeachAV8R Tested review. Heā€™s probably not going to sleep for a week and it should be epic. At work he will wonder why his IPD is so well adjusted :smile:

1 Like

Of course, Chris will probably leave it in itā€™s box unopened for a couple of weeks just to let the excitement build around here :joy:ā€¦

2 Likes

Well, by all accounts there are already some units shipping to people who ordered them in ā€œThe Europeā€ - so I think weā€™ll be flooded with some information here in the next week or so. I hope we get a lot of seated sim review content coming. Just today I was flying the X-Crafts ERJ 135/145/Legacy and that aircraft is near perfect in VR in my opinionā€¦with the exception that the MFDs have font that is just a wee bit too small to read comfortably. I think it will be a good test bed for the Rift S, Pimax, and Reverb as far as being able to see how resolutions have improved.

1 Like

Chris, time permitting, Iā€™d love to see the AFL KA350 or Carenado DO228 with GTN750.

1 Like

I only have the KA350 in X-Planeā€¦not the Do228 (hmmā€¦I need to remedy that!)ā€¦but Iā€™ll get some pics up in a bitā€¦!

Are you talking about when I get the Reverb or with the O+?

With the Reverb please. The Do228 is probably Carenadoā€™s best twin turboprop yet, IMO. Fantastic, and has native support for the GTN 750.

2 Likes

About half an hour away from the live stream of ā€œDCS On HP Reverb Through-The-Lens Video: Every Simmers Dream Is Coming True!ā€. Hmm, ok this sounds fairly over hyped.

2 Likes

He does not do through-the-lens very well, in that his videos look even less than most like anything you see in the actual headset.

1 Like

Huge news - native WMR support for DCS!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3937415&postcount=1080

Hey everyone,

As mentioned earlier, I had an HP Reverb loaner coming this week and it arrived yesterday. Wow! This is truly a banner year for VR and the Reverb is a huge part of that. I canā€™t and wonā€™t compare to other products, but here are some of my impressions after about an hour in the device:

• As expected, the resolution of the displays really sets it apart. Even in cockpits with very small texts, it is possible to read. Clarity is approaching 2D monitor levels and I could see no evidence of SDE. It is a GREAT VR device for DCS World. I personally did not notice any god rays and the blacks were quite deep.

• Iā€™m personally a big fan of inside-out tracking. I donā€™t really ā€œdoā€ room-scale VR, so the ease of setup, maintenance of tracking, and freeing up USB ports is a huge plus for me.

• Even with the higher resolution, I did not notice any appreciable performance loss outside of my expectations given the nature of VR. Performance was quite good.

• I really canā€™t comment on the hand controllers because I donā€™t use them.

• Comfort was very nice and I felt very ā€œat homeā€. There was also very little light bleed through the nose area which I appreciate.

• I have a rather narrow IPD (59), but I was still able to get a great setting.

Later this month I will send the device to our team to allow native support (no SteamVR requirement)

There are a growing number of outstanding VR options this year, and I believe it will come down to your budget available and the features you prize most. If outstanding resolution, inside-out tracking, and comfort rank high for you, I can certainly give the Reveb my stamp of approval.

Well done HP!

Thanks,
Wags

7 Likes

Also worth noting this was run against the non-VR optimized DCS build as well, finally putting to bed the repeated concerns about ā€˜It requires a super computerā€™ to use.

Very exciting times!

5 Likes

We like!

2 Likes

Definitely great news. I donā€™t regret buying the Rift S at all, but if the glowing reviews keep coming in then I might consider giving the Reverb a try. It would need to give a fluid experience though, which is what I like about the Oculus product. Native support may very well make all the difference.

2 Likes

Interesting comment. So Wags does have more than a passing affinity for WMR.

2 Likes

I can totally see myself using a Reverb, come x-masā€¦
Thatā€™s how long it will take @BeachAV8R to unpack and test hisā€¦! :wink:

1 Like

I think with the pace that HP is making them, then Xmas seems about right. :slight_smile: :christmas_tree:

@BeachAV8R - you get a delivery date yet?

Iā€™m not sure I can resist much longer.

1 Like

No e-mail that states a delivery dateā€¦just an estimated shipment date of June 18.

window3

1 Like

Hopefully even sooner. It looks like the UK batch went out already and the US is next.

There was a site that does bulk orders (by grouping individual purchases as larger enterprise orders), but I donā€™t really know much about them. I donā€™t think I would be comfortable ordering from them, but their info is interesting. The ā€˜Availabilityā€™ tab down from the following link seems to show June 21st as being the big ā€˜delivery dateā€™ for general US purchases:

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=00000HPU01_B6PX010P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!#tabs

This looks really promising. A major Swiss retailer lists June 30 as availability date. It seems I probably wont be able to get one until July.

1 Like