VR News: HP Reverb - Second Gen headsets are on the way

Well, there is a clear front runner in the shoe department however.

1 Like

Didnā€™t watch it all, but in the video description heā€™s running a 1070. With XP11 and settings cranked up thatā€™s pretty brave with a Reverb. :slight_smile:

But Skechers represents everything wrong with Big Shoe! A closed clothing stack, where youā€™re forced into a cargo pants and polo shirt monopoly.

Have you considered OpenShoe? They donā€™t come with laces, and unfortunately you can only order two left ones as a pair, but the tread is easily repaired with the rubber resin they supply. Now, it is a less than ideal that the instructions for the resin mixing is only available in Brazilian Portuguese (accessible just via a DEC VMS port of gopher to the communal wiki) but thatā€™s a small price to pay for openness in shoes?!

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hippieā€¦!

How else am I going to get my kickback from Skechers for promoting their shoe! Thatā€™s itā€¦Iā€™m going to LiveStream the first time I put them on and youā€™ll smash that subscribe button by-golly!

3 Likes

Reading some hit and miss new experiences with the Reverb on Reddit. Some complaining about artifacts (sounds like manufacturing defects) or headsets that donā€™t turn on, and one saying something about the audio dropping out. Hoping they are just a few hardware faults among a lot of satisfied usersā€¦but Iā€™m nervous.

Reddit is an unusual space though - the anonymity there really makes me wonder who has what agendas. Itā€™s pretty easy to be a WMR hardware developer and go on the Oculus subreddit and poo-poo the Rift, or if you are in the Oculus orbit, go poo-poo on the WMR headsets. I figure some of the stuff I read there is just competitors and misinformation campaigns.

3 Likes

I think with anything, itā€™s often complaints make a bit of noise rather than ā€˜itā€™s fine, I have nothing much to sayā€™. First manufacturing runā€™s can be weird as well. You do have a good warranty though, so other that wasting some time itā€™ll be ok in the end regardless. Spin that wheel! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Delivery day is supposed to be tomorrow. Me looking down my driveway tomorrow after morning coffeeā€¦

binoculars3

5 Likes

ā€¦and then the overclocking can beginā€¦ :fire:

:wink:

3 Likes

What is the optimum magic IPD number for this one? It is fixed, right?

Beach waiting for his Reverbā€¦

wilson

2 Likes

Maybeā€¦maybeā€¦we canā€¦delid the Reverb togetherā€¦

evil1

3 Likes

Yep fixed unfortunately, optimum is 64mm.

Some say the sweet spot is ok (Wags mentions it in his comments) while others say itā€™s small. We should find out soon as @BeachAV8R ā€˜wide eyesā€™ is stepping up to the IPD plate tomorrow (hopefully).

2 Likes

Impressions on VR are always entertaining to read. The ā€œpupil swimā€ one is one that Iā€™ve always wondered if people who wear spectacles are already used to in day-to-day life (like me). Wearing glasses, some distortion in life is just a regular thing. People with perfect vision probably are much more sensitive to things like distortion, artifacts, and small sweet spots.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve rigged up tripwires around the entire perimeter of my home to alert me tomorrow when the delivery man arrives. Iā€™ve also blown up a small raft in case the flooding around here causes the creek to overflow. Pelican case is on standby to secure the package. Repeat - SECURE THE PACKAGE.

5 Likes

This may also be a factor for FOV too, because we are used to looking through frames.

2 Likes

Yeah, I donā€™t know about thatā€¦ Iā€™m wearing glasses too, but it doesnā€™t really help any with the blurriness I see, when looking just a tiny bit off center in the horizontal plane (Rift S). My eyes feel very tired after a session now, not something I experienced in the CV1 at all.
So i guess with this one being 64mm, thereā€™s nothing left to do but start saving for the Index.

Thatā€™s a bummer that it is out of range for you (Rift S). Do you think lens inserts might help? Not sure if it is worth a try (cost-wise)ā€¦but ever since I had WidmoVR lenses for my Rift, I also bought them for the O+ and they make such a big difference for me as far as comfort goes. Plus it is nice peace of mind knowing I"m not going to scratch the HMD lenses. I canā€™t see nearly as well if I wear my contact lenses in either the Rift or O+ā€¦lenses are much better for me personally.

Itā€™s frustrating for sure, because the display is really nice and sharp, and I imagine the Reverb being even better.
Not impressed with the current fixed IPD trend to say the least!
Iā€™m not sure inserts will help all that much, as Iā€™m able to get very close to the lenses wearing my glasses. The S is really accommodating for glasses in that way, not like the CV1 where they are a must have item. So, think Iā€™m going to put the $ toward the Index, or whatever else shows up with an adjustable IPD.
Speaking of, youā€™re not planning on getting the Index too, are you? You know, just for testing :grinning:

It depends on how the Reverb goes. Iā€™m pretty darn smitten with my O+ with all the comfort mods and custom lenses. If the Reverb doesnā€™t blow my socks off, Iā€™ll return it and then I might consider the Index down the road. Iā€™m really hoping I like the Reverb though.

1 Like

The resolution is insane. Oh waitā€¦Iā€™m in a real airplane today. LOL Reverb impressions will have to wait til tonightā€¦

11 Likes