VR News: HP Reverb - Second Gen headsets are on the way

This looks very interesting. Might be the VR update that I am looking forward to for a while now. I would have gone for the Odyssey+ had it been available in Europe. It seems this HP headset offers even better clarity while haveing the comfort of the Rift, which is very appealing. A much higher FOV is not that important to me. I am sure a wide FOV is a great expierience but right now it is not something which I am actively missing. Clarity is though. Price is lower than what I initially paid for the Rift, so no complaints from me.

Still waiting to hear the specs of the Rift S though. While it is clear that it wont be revolutionary, it might be worth the upgrade. The Rift is really comforable and no problem to wear for 3-4 hour sessions, which is an important quality that is easily forgotten.

1 Like

ā€¦my wife would probably accept my nerdishnessā€¦the cats are another storyā€¦:scream_cat::smirk_cat:

1 Like

You donā€™t get around hipsters much, do you. :grin:

3 Likes

I do hope so!
And itā€™s reassuring to see that development continuesā€¦

2 Likes

The post on the whole threatened law suit for alleged use of a hipsterā€™s likeness, was my first exposure to the demographicā€¦so yeah, not so much. :slightly_smiling_face:

I havenā€™t found the Fov of the Hp headsetā€¦ do you?

Found it!

114Ā° so slightly better than Odyssey 110Ā°ā€¦
Havenā€™t tried other VR apart the Odyssey but i feel 110 to be enough!

having all that resolution with just a little more fov means much more pixel density!
So much better definitonā€¦

for flight simmer this will mean better reading of text and dials and better understanding of angle aspect of enemy fighterā€¦

spotting far contacts without icons on the contrary should be more difficultā€¦

3 Likes

This blows the oculus rift S out of the water lol. Also no agressive marketing of stuff disguised as driver software. My body is ready to let go of Oculus. My wallet sadly enough isnā€™t quite yet.

1 Like
2 Likes

Iā€™m on the other side of the fence lol. Iā€™ve literally just got my oculus! Itā€™s still all new and fabulous to me. I admit the dial reading and spotting enemyā€™s is a pain but for me itā€™s still fresh!

I am definitely on board with higher resolution but I think it will be a few years before I trade up!

2 Likes

The Rift is a fantastic headset for simming VR. A lot of this new stuff is for early adopting, with wallets to match as well.

This headset looks really nice, but the biggest issue is how well things like DCS and X-Plane will work in those sort of resolutions. We need the resolution to see things clearly, but it has to push so many pixels in things that arenā€™t exactly know for super high framerates already. That means $1000+ graphics cards, which makes the market for high-end PC VR pretty small.

3 Likes

On mobile, so excuse the short post. Still waiting for the new computer to shipā€¦but Iā€™m hoping an i9 and RTX2080Ti will suffice. Iā€™ll be waiting for reviews on the HP HMD with that kind of hardware combo before jumping on board since Iā€™m really happy with the O+ after all my mods to it. I love VR so much that the cost doesnā€™t too much bother meā€¦it is probably the first tech where Iā€™ve become an ardent early adopter. Unfortunately, (or fortunately!) the collateral damage is the attendant PC hardware race tooā€¦ Oh well, still better than a crack habit I supposeā€¦

7 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

The pale faces, the constant sweating, the ridiculous justifications to spend money for that high immersion. Yep, nothing like itā€¦ :wink:

4 Likes

Again, we wishā€¦ with VR, imo, it is the same as with any other new tech in the past or now.

Sure, actual generation will get cheaper but not to the point where it become afordable for normal consumers. Before that point there will be already new pricey gen behind the doors and actual gen will be out of stock or the last available pieces be overpriced.

I dont think this trend will ever change. Wish I am wrong.

I think the used market will cover a lot of that.
The early adopters will sell their headsets.

And considering that I will most likely never have a top tier hardware I guess the best stuff will always be out of reach.
ā€¦thatā€™s why I am seriously thinking about the Rift S. I will definitely watch the reviews closely.
Because what good will the HP thing be for me when Ionly have a RTX 2070? (thatā€™s going to be the card in my new PC) Probably not going to be worth it anyway when I cannot use it on high res.

1 Like

Where would one demo an HP headset anyway? Is that a Microsoft Store product?

I think if you donā€™t have VR already then the Rift S has got to be worth a serious look.

They sold the gen 1 HP headsets in the Microsoft Store. This time around they have this ā€˜consumer and proā€™ price split, so not sure. Sure would like a look.

The trouble is in store they often do the ā€˜hereā€™s Fruit Ninja on a laptop!!ā€™, so if I did grab one for a demo Iā€™d probably do what I did with the O+ and take it home but be prepared to get that 30 day return.

1 Like

If I like it, the newish O+ would go to a new desk with the old computer and Kai and Marisa would inherit that whole setup. Probably sell the Rift at that pointā€¦