GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti - 159.6%
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 240.8%
SSD: Samsung 750 EVO 500GB - 94.1%
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB - 72.1%
HDD: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB - 65.4%
USB: WD easystore 25FB 8TB - 67.9%
RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 57%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 7

1 year old VR/Simming/Gaming Rig that has run everything like butter, makes me feel guilty that I ignore it most of the time these days and instead spend most of my time on the couch playing games on the PS4 instead of in my office doing VR or simming more often on this awesome PC.

It’s hard to resist the comfy couch and PS4Pro now that things like Elite Dangerous run so well on it and I can game there while the kids do homework and do other family things :smiley:

2 Likes

@Cib and @Kludger … what’s up with your low RAM percentages? I’m thinking you guys should easily be scoring over 100% with your DDR4 but you’re getting half that. I mean, look at @Sargoth’s 125.9% above^. Even I’m hitting 90% with my DDR3! …

RAM: G.SKILL TridentX DDR3 2400 C10 2x8GB - 90.2%

I think the benchmarks do something funny in terms of adjusting by cost per GB or something, i.e. here

Given the price of DDR4 but the fact that’s it is mandatory for the chipset then it doesn’t really make any sense to treat it as a comparison number (which benchmarks kinda need to do…).

1 Like

Ya, that sucks … all I want to see is where I fall in terms of RAM speed no matter how much I paid. I don’t like to see that “do something funny” factor in my benchmarks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, it was an odd choice by them, in that if you are going to throw in a money fudge factor then it is sort of subjective, in that is the 1080ti worth it when money is included as a scaling factor?

In terms of DDR3 vs DDR4 performance it’s pretty linear just to use the RAM clock speed. If your DDR3 is clocked at 2400 Mhz then it’s going to be (in a perfect RAM only metric) 25% slower than @Kludger DDR4 3200 Mhz sticks. When it comes to benchmarks, RAM clock speed is pretty much never the main bottleneck, as in we’re talking a couple of frames per section max difference. GPU/CPU/Disk are all up there in the bottleneck foodchain way before RAM speed - it only matters if it’s so bad as to become the bottleneck or it inhibits your ability to change the Northbridge frequency for the CPU overclock.

3 Likes

Ahh. Thanks. You know what? We have to find an ACTUAL benchmark utility for this thread that’s free.

Yeah @Linebacker I found that score on the RAM disappointing too, made a note to myself to check into the XMP setting in the BIOS to make sure I didn’t have it downclocked or anything… thanks @fearlessfrog for the explanation.

BTW it’s even worse that they factor in cost to the score for things that fluctuate in price so much like memory does (probably the same for SSDs), I didn’t recall the memory being very expensive so I went back and checked my NewEgg invoice, and a year ago I paid $99 for this 16GB DDR4 3200 set of memory, and I see that it’s doubled in price since then:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231941
I guess I got lucky with the price fluctuations for once.

2 Likes

You know how I read that? Like this:

“Bac ehosatam exo porira exopes. Sel leromi le; nadiec isonu ateb temat apelal bopod! Coret jiepa bilapo retet kicus senonew ca newive hie. Dahig inal ananelac iberal avin ba! Lierup ara gir fo. Gona tuta cohon isilapet labor lu tito. Baniles go donite tebili polopuy. Noni solira po lenat acib egita! Helole micom camol birito tu deta emiga dadasar. Rim yiwemit co: Cenifaf lexa rag ve. Odo famare imuces noveten gapoda cote, wepehiw nise oniecuca renota qe nafa neno. Atotieyi samer lehone ena, irezas loseg asahih nel cone mecenes hesat osikec. Vat otoho pucota nidonie! Ru dar monarip tel fe etorurew gerob fi pe te. We ho doruh xulem gohero ikalo itas sareka yu nan. Odulev nemitev inerilon ramiehod.”

Courtesy of Random Gibberish Generator.

Ah…I remember the good ole days when things went sequential. Remember the 8086, 286, 386 days? I gave up after Pentium. Now I have no idea what any of those numbers mean.

Oh Packard Bell…how I miss thee…

4 Likes

Sooo … benchmark? What’s it gunna be …

Aaah! My first pentium was a PB! Actually it was a 486 DX100 that I got an upgrade Pentium CPU for.
That was a milestone in my flightsimming hobby as I remember thinking I might never afford to buy a Pentium based PC, when I read the recommended specs of ”Flight Unlimited”…

1 Like

I have a borked Mobo. 1 DIMM is defunct (Good word) and I will be using Amazon to replace it, then with a retest I hope to see those scores increase. I will also disable my aging decrepit HDD’s :slight_smile:

No 56k modem?

1 Like

56,000 bps modem? I remember the day I dropped $150 for my 300 bps modem circa 1984 LOL! Man was I stoked … data over phone lines? I’d be the ultimate hacker! :smirk:

pm

Now I get 3,000,000 times that speed …

bw

… and I know a lot of you lucky ducks are getting 1Gbps upload as well …

4 Likes

UserBenchmarks: Game 44%, Desk 79%, Work 50%
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K - 84.2%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 760 - 40.2%
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 95%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB - 101.6%
RAM: G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3 1600 C10 2x8GB - 54.1%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3

This was my first desktop PC since getting rid of my old one when moving countries in 2009. I bought it about 3.5 years ago for circa $2k NZD including screen, keyboard etc. It was also the first PC I built myself from parts - previously I had selected the parts but always had the kids at the store put it together.

Since purchase I’ve added another 8 GB of RAM, but apart from that pretty much all PC spending has been in the peripherals (TM Warthog, TrackIR 5, Crosswind pedals, powered USB hub, decent Bose noise-cancelling headphones etc.) and DCS modules. I’m in the process of building Monstertech-style mounts for the HOTAS and after that I’ll be pretty pleased with the flight sim accessories status, I think.

I may add more RAM and another SSD in due course to extend the life of this rig - could even see about a higher-spec GPU: should be able to find something relatively cheaply.

The next big rig upgrade for me will be when the next generation of VR gear comes out and I’ll finally jump on the band wagon. For the time being I’m quite happy chugging along with a below-par machine that still seems to do the job. :slight_smile:

Edit - as to internet speed…I think this result’s actually not bad for NZ, but it is what it is…

speed

3 Likes

You could probably overclock that CPU if you have a good fan … here’s my current 4.5Ghz overclock on mediocre air …

UserBenchmarks: Game 100%, Desk 86%, Work 67%
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K - 90.6%

Grab a cheap 1070 video card and Bob’s your uncle! You could definitely get creative with your RAM as well (Support for DDR3 3100(O.C.))

1 Like

I did a full rebuild just before Christmas … And made a schoolboy error

My new system
Core i5 7600k
Corsair h75i water cooler
Asus Rog strix 270H mother board
16gb ddr4 3000 MHz

But I kept my old gtx 960 2gb graphics card … I am fairly sure I am getting some bottlenecking at the graphics card

1 Like

Ok fellas, this is one of my favorite subjects, so I am surprised I have not chimed in here.

My Specs. BTW, I got problems here. Two dead memory slots and this board don’t hold an OC for more than a day…
CPU: Intel Core i7 5830
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
Mobo: AS Rock x99x
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro X3
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32 DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (Only 24 Gigs showing)

I have been thinking of getting a 7700 i7 and Asus Stix Z370E mobo. What do you think?
My VR performance is so inconsistent. Its not my temps. I water cool and check temps. Never above 70s. I suspect my Mobo…

OK I have 2 dead dimms too, seems to be an occurring theme when checking forums mine where DOA though. I have a replacement board waiting to go in now well when I can get the time.
My personal recomendation is get a coffeelake over Kabylake, my i5 is @5.2 and temps range between 20 and 60 idle and load which is nice but they are also cheaper than the 7700 and quad core over hex core without hyperthreading though. I can’t fault mine and I dare say the 8700k is even better :slight_smile:

Rebuilt my system with the new motherboard and managed to get it booting immediately with both ram sticks in dual channel mode. Happy days now to see if I can get it clocked past 5.2
UserBenchmarks: Game 115%, Desk 95%, Work 81%
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K - 114.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 - 130.1%
SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB - 72.7%
SSD: Corsair Force LS 120GB - 33%
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB - 56.6%
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB - 41.5%
HDD: Maxtor 6L160M0 164GB - 27.4%
HDD: Maxtor 6L160M0 164GB - 23.1%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 99.7%
MBD: Asus PRIME Z370-A
Again my thoughts turn to a faster bunch of drives :slight_smile:

3 Likes

awesome. glad you got that board fixed. That sucks that it got shipped broken.

1 Like