Where Are You Photos [2022]

really great looking places fearless and Clutch ! btw that was close, how cool it would be if two resident MS’kers meet each other on the other side of the world :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Kanazawa is a nice escape too. I like to call it “Mini-Kyoto.” Typically less foreign tourists there, and you can bike share the entire area.

1 Like

International Bomber Command Memorial outside Lincoln to see the Walking with Giants memorial again. This time at night with the figure of each of the sailors, soldiers and civilians who did not come home from liberating the Falkland Islands illuminated by a candle.

City of Lincoln.

They also illuminated the ‘Operation Manna’ memorial to the Allied crews who flew food to starving Dutch civilians behind German lines in the winter of 44/45. Unarmed and in daylight.

14 Likes

Some incredible sunsets recently, here’s one of them on my commute home last Thursday
Imgur

15 Likes

The first span of the new bridge across the Rhine in Duisburg is nearing completion. It’s supposed to take the traffic next year so the old bridge can be dismantled and the second span build in its place. Traffic will then flow over the second span while the first span in its entirety is moved 14.5m downstream into it’s final postion.
It’s supposed to be finished in 2024.

Imgur

11 Likes

Got up at 03:00 this morning, to go fly…

17 Likes

Even with the ‘stupid o’clock’ starts, I really envy you guys that get to do that for a living.

5 Likes

Imgur

9 Likes

A week of 0400 showtimes, 14-hour days and six nights in a hotel FaceTiming your wife and kiddos for ten minutes and it begins to lose its luster, until it’s Go Home Day and a few days off and realize it’s still far better than working for a living!

ETA: It’s my least favorite time of year to fly, because it’s the beginning of winter in most of the places I’m going, and this Texas boy keeps forgetting to pack thermal underwear, earmuffs and switch to long-sleeve shirts. Won’t make that mistake again after my last rotation.

The airplanes themselves sure do like the cold weather though (assuming they get de-icing). Yesterday I took off from Chicago and had a sustained climb of 6600ft/min @ 250kts all the way up to 14,000’ (with the anti-ice on!). Yeah, I know that won’t impress anyone flying real heavy metal, but it’s fun to see in a Citation when you’re light.

10 Likes

I treated myself for having another great month with the business.

Worth it

22 Likes

This makes me sad and angry at the same time. I always wanted to see it land or take off and it was a regular visitor in Leipzig. Next to all the pain and suffering this war has brought to Ukraine it also destroyed this beautiful aircraft :cry:

Imgur

Imgur

@Wes That last one is shot with the RF24-105mm at F11. As you can see it’s plenty sharp and detailed but the defraction stars aren’t the most beautiful, especially compared to the RF15-35mm F2.8 but there’s also a 1200€ price difference.

11 Likes

Exactly. I mean, I’d rather be a billionaire playboy and have my own private jet, but as long as I have to earn a salary, nothing beats this, IMHO.

Troll looks at his Dash-8 100:

Bruce Willis Wtf GIF

8 Likes

First pictures shot with my new 100-500mm lens:
Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

18 Likes

Nice blue tit!

And that Mallard drake is beautiful, ducks are my favourite birds.

And is that a… goshawk? (auto correct wants to make that “gosh award”, lol)

1 Like

Yeah, there where some hunters with a ferret and two goshawks looking for rabbits in the park. They are doing this regularly to keep the population in check. I talked to them and send them the pictures.

5 Likes

Really cool, you can see the ‘jesses’ on the legs of the goshawk
I was very interested in falconry growing up, so that’s really interesting for me

4 Likes

Phew, glad you guys got in first, I very nearly said Peregrine Falcon - they have very similar markings, but now on second look the cere (bit around the nostrils) is more yellow on the falcon and the head is a different shape (less pointy).

We have a lot of raptors and birds of prey in our neck of the woods that we regularly see. Ranging in size from Nankeen Kestrels up to Australia’s two biggest: Wedge Tailed Eagles and Powerful Owls.

3 Likes

Another shot. This time a Eurasian Coot
Imgur

7 Likes

Great shot!

Fun fact for the non-Germans: we call it ‘Blässhuhn’, which means something like ‘pale chicken’, because of the white face. About the ‘chicken’ part, well… it isn’t related to chickens, the truth is, when names were given to the animals, the people often just picked a common, somewhat similar looking animal as the base name and attached some word part to it.

So we ended up with the above Blässhuhn, or the Thermometerhuhn (that last one is an Australian bird, and at least it is somewhat related to chickens). Same with non-birds. A capybara is called Wasserschwein (water pig), a turtle is Schildkröte (shield toad), and a porcupine is Stachelschwein (spike pig).

4 Likes

I keep mixing up the goshawk and the sparrowhawk.

1 Like