X-Plane 11 Throwdown

I used their mod for the RW Twin Otter and it was really good…

2 Likes

In case you are eyeing any module, I recommend to always check (on xp store page) ‘Version History’ tab or ‘Requirement’ tab.

This Pitts S2S ‘Requirement’ tab says

Current version: 3.2 (last updated January 9th 2016)

So there is that, quite old module, not updated in a long time. So I will be cautious, maybe check some forums or youtube etc. for other people experience with it in XP11.

2 Likes

@Gunnyhighway Hey, you have the X-crafts E-jets ? I’m trying to understand the differences between SSG EJets and Xcrafts E175/195.

Looks like the E175/195 package is the best value overall. But you say the VR implementation is not great? I’ve got TrackIR as an alternative so not a dealbreaker.

1 Like

@Chaz I have the X-Crafts E-Jets, I picked them up as a package with the ERJ’s. I would say they are decent. I had to fix the VR implementation using a mod (Downloads - Page 2 - Threshold). I don’t have experience with the SSG version, but when I was researching, it appeared the X-Crafts version was better. With the above VR mod, its just fine.

The issue with the E-Jets I think is their age. The latest version 2.4 came out July of 2018. The SSG version is more recent, but like I said, it seemed more people liked the X-craft version. For example, the HUD on the E175 only works in 2D cockpit mode. Who uses 2D pits anymore? I asked the X-Crafts guys about this on the forums, and he said it was an issue with text on transparent surfaces. Interestingly the freeware 737 uses a 3D hud that is perfectly fine.

I like the way Embraer systems work though, the ERJs are some of my favorite jets in Xplane.

1 Like

I just picked up the Aerostar 601P on sale. Have been eyeing the rapid bird for a while and have it very much on the radar for my next AH2 company purchase. A friend of mine did some time building flying checks at night in the Aerostar and always raves about its performance and how you need to stay ahead of the aircraft. Should be fun.

RIP @chipwich when his engine fails coming out of Big Creek with a heavy load… :rofl:

That’s why I cycle regularly.

Can’t wait to try it though. I read in a YT comment that the devs included a skin from the movie American Made. I’ll let you know if there is a door under the carpet.

2 Likes

Is there a GTN mod for that?

Yes, out of the box it is ready for GTN in the panel. Won’t be able to try it until tonight though.

I thought so when I read this on the product page…

Fully VR compatible
Reality-XP’s GTN 750 integrated (when available)

…but I haven’t been able to figure out how to make it happen, and there is no mention of the GTN in the manual.

But, I just checked and the price is down to $15. Ouch. Must be a flash sale. Anyway, for that price it’s a pretty good deal, IMHO. Still kicking the tires. I got it out of Machmel OK, but couldn’t stick the landing. Ran off the end in a mean way.

What kind of payload ya’ think? Like 1,500 lbs.?

Pablo said 1500 kilos :grin: I think that you are pretty close with full fuel though for a 601P. A 700P is 1664 lbs. Videos that I’ve seen says that you can count on burning 30 gal per hour in the 600 at expect 210 kts.

Then there is this…

Well, that might be good for Air Hauler though since you are rarely doing full fuel trips.

Still enjoying this scenery in southern WA…

2 Likes

I feel like we are cheating in air hauler though. Like massively loading the cabins because the tanks are empty.

1 Like

I worked for a small time freight hauler once. Trust me…it isn’t that unreasonable… :rofl: “If it fits it ships…” isn’t just a company logo…

3 Likes

You do bring up a point though. Some airplanes have maximum zero fuel weights (ZFW) that are limitations. These are probably due to structural limitations (floor strength and other things)…and should be observed. If a plane doesn’t have a ZFW then it doesn’t have a limit other than MTOW or Max ramp weight.

2 Likes

That Twin Beech book I’m reading mentions this; certain operators would “push the limits” [in a similar fashion]

1 Like

I AM, however, still trying to figure out a way to fit 600 pounds of sheep into my Husky…

6 Likes

I saw something in the AH forums about the ability to load the aircraft up to 10% over either MTOW or max cargo weight. Does AH then apply a more strict limitation on landing velocity (vertical) that would push you into the damage category? It should if it doesn’t. Ideally it should work on some scale where the greater % over MTOW or max cargo you go, the more likely you are to damage something on landing.

1 Like