Xplane Multicore Test

Interesting little benchmark here with the Vulkan beta. Two points for me:

1. Core speed is more important than number of cores (real and hyperthreaded)

I learned this a few years ago, and it seems to remain true for the time being. In the vast majority of games the speed of the cores is far more important than the number of them. Overclocking is your friend. I5 processors with higher clocks will generally outperform the i7 and i9 variants in gaming.

1. Flight sims will burn down the mightiest machines

40-50 FPS with an i9 9900k and 2080Ti. Easily $2500-3000+ rig and it cannot meet the 60 FPS gaming standard. He didn’t even max the settings or use any 3rd party addons. I think this is one reason flight sims generally have such long legs. By the time most people have a rig capable of enjoying the highest settings, the technology is several generations ahead of where it was when the sim launched.

5 Likes

Each of us can bring any PC to its knees by asking too much from it. I run X-Plane smoothly on a mid-range PC in VR and with settings that I find visually appealing but they are all mid-slider, to match my mid-specs. Just because there is an “11” on the dial doesn’t mean it should be used.

7 Likes

Tru dat!
I’m dialing down everything to get smooth FPS in VR, and it surprised me at first, how incredibly good most flightsims look on low-ish settings.

4 Likes

I was doing some testing in DiRT Rally 2.0, lowering video settings to improve FPS in VR. It didn’t seem to help much, and I actually got to the point that they were so low (cartoon looking), that it was making me more disoriented due to the lack of detail. I ended up with them back at medium. I guess what I’m trying to say is that with VR, there are compromises at each end of the slider(s).

4 Likes

Important to keep perspective!

Definitely have to keep in mind ones tastes and preferences. Kinda feels like being in a ferrari in a school zone though when I see all these high end screen shots and maxed out streamers.

One of the reasons I sold my motorcycle. Could never really open it up without being on the track, and couldn’t track it enough to justify owning it.

Ripping through the mountains is an experience I wont forget though. Miss you Palomar :frowning:

2 Likes

Also true.
I guess everybody has got a lower limit for when the graphics aren’t good enough, just as some have a limit for when the FPS is too low.
Some seem to cope very well with low FPS, stuttering and graphical artifacts and can run the sim at higher settings because of that, while others can’t.

2 Likes

Force PC are the guys that built my monster rig. They do good work, affordable prices and certainly know their stuff. That said, the support is a just OK - they are a small company with limited support hours.

1 Like

This. Goes back to an older post: VR preferences by age group - #3 by Troll

Somewhat anyway.

I’d rather be in a cockpit (or think I am), with a visor that needs cleaning, than watching a movie of it with a fancy remote control. Different strokes though.

1 Like

These guys?

I’m starting to stock away advice on this issue for next year, fingers crossed…

That’s them.

Thanks.
Man, I’m looking at $4500 to get what I’d feel would be viable for at least 3-ish years beyond date of purchase: Video Card, Mem, storage (though I can just swap these SATA drives over) and next-gen VR kit. C’mon code optimization!