2017 Health & Fitness thread

Went for a swim today to see how it like it between running. Not bad so far but this is all a bit meaningless to me still :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

All right, I think I just joined the “oh-god-what-the-hell-just-happened?” club.

Used to go to the gym regularly, went from 235 to 205 lbs after a chicken-breast-and-green-stuff diet from hell. Then, I met my current girlfriend and the good habits I had taken fell off the rails. Stressful days at work + girlfriend who likes to go out and eat comfort food + taking less time to go do my gym thing = that awkward moment where you don’t like what you see in the mirror.

After a year of negligence, I went up to 217. It feels like a huge failure knowing that not even a year ago I was so close to 200. It was just so hard to see all this good work I had done gone to absolute waste. I know I need to change things. I started going back to the gym last week, and so far I’m keeping up, but I absolutely hate going through this whole weight loss process… again.

At least my gf started kickboxing at roughly the same time, so we’re both keeping each other motivated.

7 Likes

I am still doing the running and gymnastics thing twice a week. Although I admit I had some weeks not doing anything because I didn’t have the time, between work and the kids.
I went up a couple of pounds again, but not too severe. I am now at 88.6kg which is still over 10kg less than when so started in January.
With winter coming the indoor program will start again very soon and that’s more suitable for weight loss than running so I might still reach those 85kg this year.
And if not? Well, I don’t care much. I lost a good amount of weight already and I feel considerably better, so I don’t care if I have a few of more or less. I will continue doing that as long as I feel well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had an accident on my commute home a couple of weeks ago (was blown into a curb during a storm), today I got my bike back and I just had to go for a ride despite the rain. Went for a Heartrate Threshold Test.

One hour of pain:

Pretty quick as well:

2 Likes

Today I’ve blown past my goal of cycling 15000km this year so now I’m trying to reach 17500km. :biking_man::bike::mountain_biking_man:

5 Likes

Good job!
I stagnated a bit, damn combo of being busy at work and being sick. Not much done the last four weeks.

1 Like

Finally broke a plateau. Dropped under 165 pounds (75kg). Stayed there for almost three months, it was seriously irritating. This is getting harder the older I get. I’m only 5’8", so it’s not like my frame is built to carry a lot.

Geez. What used to be easier has gotten a hell of a lot harder when you get past that 45 year mark.

3 Likes

I’m on holiday at my grandparents for the rest of the year and since I’ve already achieved all my fitness goals this year I’m going to push my yearly cycling goal to 18500km. As of today I’m sitting at 17900km, so this shouldn’t be too difficult. I plan on doing a 2-5h ride every day for the rest of the year.

I actually started this Wednesday with a 5h, 134km ride, traveled to Lüneburg in Lower Saxony on Thursday, did a 2:15h recon ride on Friday and this evening I went for a very windy 3hour ride along the river Elbe.

1 Like

Strava is cool…

3 Likes

I have reached my minimum goals but being sick a few times pushed me a bit back again.
Overall I’d say it was a successful year in that regard, despite me being up to 89kg again.

Mine has been an abject failure. We did lots of hiking and outdoor activities…so I feel healthy…but we also did a lot of eating and drinking. (LOL…so I feel festive?)

So blah, blah, blah…we’re going to do the New Years reset deal. Besides, I need to drop 30 pounds if I’m going to outswim those Great Whites in Australia…!

Never mind putting on a few pounds.

If you’re not doing competitive sports, getting your cardiovascular system in shape is far more important than losing weight (well unless you are at a weight that is a serious strain for your joints that is, but i don’t believe that is the case with you).

Case in point, last 2-3 years i’ve started to build up a little spare tyre, but am still at my climbing prime, simply because i’ve trained consecutively the last 2 years (with some minor injury pauses). Recovery after training sessions was quicker 10 years ago, though.

1 Like

Yeah…I can still hike with the best of them. Well, this was the first year where my 7 year old decided to put on some wheels on one hike and he started to wind me going uphill. Of course, I had the backpack on and he didn’t, but it was a “whoa” moment. LOL. I just envision how much better I’d do with 30 pounds less of dead weight for sure…!

Gonna get on the bike again next week. I’d like to be down 15 or more pounds before my FAA medical in March…

Remember you can eat as much as you like as long as you burn it again. I eat about 5000 calories per day but I haven’t put on much weight (gained about 5kg this year).
Admittedly I’m not a person who gains weight easily. I can basically eat whatever I want and as much as I like without having to worry about getting fat :yum:

1 Like

Yeah…but you ride 80KM to your lunch spot. LOL…

3 Likes

You’re not too far off :joy:
I sometimes visit my sister for dinner after work. That’s 25km in addition to my usual 30km

3 Likes

You don’t know abject failure until you open a brewery. I feel like Henry the 8th right now. But, 2018 is nigh and with it comes great promise. Right. I did join a gym last month.

2 Likes

:beers: :smiley: Gotta do quality control and all…!

5 Likes

Yeah, separation hasn’t been the easiest on the diet, especially when living with a friend for several months who lives on restaurants and takeout. And then a flurry of dating beer snobs who know all the best beer bars in the Triangle.

Starting as soon as I’m back home will be using my cycling trainer, training myself to wake up earlier and lift / work out with old classmates before work every day, and detoxing from this month - long sugar binge.

5 Likes

Well I am still happily running although with a different style now. Plan on swimming a bit more this year upcoming year and want to try bouldering, that sounds like fun!

2 Likes