2019 Health & Fitness Thread

I was going to post something similar but I know we have a few that have been out longer than my 36. Seems strange to think that I am so close to the 40th though. I don’t feel that old, most days…

Wheels

2 Likes

I’ve only got you by 2 years…BTW, did you catch the last issue of AARP Magazine? I thought the article on the best way to use your walker was very good! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Lol, still not getting much from the AARP but the article on walkers would be of interest. For future use of course.

Wheels

1 Like

Old? I’d give a gonad to be 36 again, which was the absolute best time of my life. I walked the earth like a Centurion then. Wait until the hair on back, knuckles, and in your ears and nose is much thicker than that on the top of your head.

Just a wee bit older than 36 here.
I was talking about being so close to my 40th high school reunion. Not being 40 years old. :sunglasses:

Wheels

Well, got to start somewhere…in my defence this is pushing a stroller, which adds about a minute per km. Still, gonna be painful km’s ahead to get back in shape.

7 Likes

This needs a revival.

Had my first run in barefoot shoes today (after wearing them as my casual footwear for 2 summers), what a blast! Felt absolutely effortless even though I was just slightly behind my best time. I’ll definitely feel my calves tomorrow, but the rest of my legs feels surprisingly relaxed, like after a regenerative session. After reading so many horror stories about how taxing barefoot running is on the muscles, I’m really relieved that it went that well.

3 Likes

Gah. I haven’t done anything regularly all year.
A bit now and then, and I feel surprisingly well despite being back to 95kg.
I want to get back below 90 again though. It is better for the knees. Not yet sure what I am going to do.

Hey gang - I’ll throw my hat into the ring:

I’m a Professional Cycling Instructor, with over 27 years as a coach. I help clients improve their fitness through the use of technology, namely Garmin Edge head units, and a mix of indoor and outdoor workouts and programming.

My main fitness model is a young one, called “Xert”. But I’ve never seen anything like it, in terms of modeling aerobic zones and anaerobic capacity. It’s 4th-generation stuff, and the metrics for cycling are maybe 30 years old, at most.

So if you’re a cyclist, and you’re curious about how to use wattage and HR to greater effect, schedule a zoom videochat through my website. I’ll be glad to spend some time explaining how the physics/physiology meld works, and how to use it to achieve your fitness and cardiac goals.

I had been lifting regularly, but it’s looking like I’ll be sidelined for a while. Threw my back out a few weeks ago, took time to redo my programming, then dislocated my shoulder (again) on vacation a couple of weeks ago. MRI’s are next week, but my doctor is already thinking there will be surgery involved. That means cycling, swimming, and lifting are out for me, for who knows how long (go figure). Otherwise @whareagle, I’d be taking you up on that offer in a heartbeat. Rain check for after my recovery?

In the meantime, we’ve both been aggressively counting our calorie intakes and occasionally doing periods of intermittent fasting.

1 Like

Got a matching pair of replacement hips at the ripe age of 38, so believe me a young guy might need a walker on occasion!

I swim a mile with fins 4-5 days a week, usually clock in around 36-38 minutes. Good cardio, and super low impact. Getting back in the weight room recently, I think I’ll go with Stronglift 5x5 as a good way to ease myself back into it, I love squats so squatting every session isn’t torture like it is for some. With the two fake hips I can’t go near as heavy as I used to, but that’s probably okay (still gonna aim for 500, 5 plates a side, with a little tiny 2.5 capping the ends lol). I’m not 19 anymore, no reason to lift like I am. Shoulders and elbows have been problematic lately (RA, which is why I have 2 fake hips), so we’ll see how they hold up to adding in some weights.

2 Likes

I’ve been wearing barefoot shoes for some time now. If you are not careful and tip toe too much, you are looking at some baaaad sour calves… But once you get used to the sweet spot, more like middle of feet, it feels incredible. I also love how uneven surfaces makes you run consciously of where you are stepping (and is much safer because of it). It almost feels like a finesse sport.

3 Likes

Yeah I’ll definitely account for a grace period where i need to be extra careful. Running 2 days in a row like I used to on occasion feels quite impossible right now. :wink:

I’ve been quite careful about my running style even in my regular shoes, so maybe that is why the transition isn’t that severe for me. The only thing that was really taxing was running downhill, the rest felt super relaxed.

2 Likes

Took a short, 15 mile ride this morning to squeeze in something before the heat set in. I’m pretty lucky in that our area has very light traffic and some routes that keep you off the main roads.

FitBit heartrate monitor told the story. There are really no flat sections…so the ride keeps the HR up the whole time. Not sure why the baseline is showing so high though because my resting heartrate is about 67…

3 Likes

My wife took her new gravel bike (Raleigh Amelia) for a ride with me today. First time I’ve taken my gravel bike for a ride since I usually ride my all carbon Raleigh Revenio. Nice day to ride…temps in the lower 70s and very little traffic. We did about 16.2 miles or so…

6 Likes

I really, REALLY hate that I can’t ride comfortably at the moment with my shoulder the way it is. :frowning: Hoping PT has me back on that sooner than later.

Now just need to find a fitting kit for my crossbars for my new car…

2 Likes

Man I’d love to live somewhere near those kinds of places. Whenever I amp myself up for a ride I end up just waging war with buses and trucks and crazy-ass Hyundai’s… I was actually considering a gravel bike for the potholes of the city, because I know I’d never get to ride it in actual gravel…

2 Likes

The streets are really roulette in this day and age of distracted driving. I’m really lucky that my exposure to busy roads is fairly limited. Knock on wood…

2 Likes

Did a short combined road/gravel route today. Starting to feel pretty comfortable on the new gravel bike. Even with fenders and flat pedals I managed to hit 43mph (downhill obviously)…

Nice cool temps this morning…in the upper 60s. Figured best to get the ride out of the way early since it is supposed to get near 90F this afternoon.

The top of Mont von Galilee Road…when you are in the shape I’m in (hucking around an extra 30 pounds or more)…even some small hills are punishing. Managed to get up it without stopping though.

Coming back down it later is exhilarating but the bottom necks down to a single lane across the creek…so doing 35 or 40mph through that section is a bit sketchy if someone else (in a car) happens to be coming the other way. Very light traffic on this road though (I didn’t see a single vehicle)…

No idea what kind of snake this is. But I didn’t have my tube repair kit with me, so glad he didn’t bite my tire…LOL…

4 Likes

I think it might be an Eastern Hognose snake perhaps…

1 Like