3-Hole Vodka Burner...

Apologies if that is the official name for some other Russian airplane.

So this is the old Felis Yak-40…I think perhaps originally for either late X-Plane 9, or X-Plane 10. I bought it for X-Plane 10, and never got to really explore it much. I think it was on sale for $5 or $10. Well, since Felis gave up on his older airplanes, they are now free, but unsupported. Some guys have been working on at least getting the Yak-40 and Antonov-24 working once again, and they have by-and-large succeeded. Or as far as I can tell they have. You can grab the two models here…but just be careful, I can’t vouch that the files won’t contain a virus or something stupid…so buyer beware:

An-24: HERE
Yak-40: HERE

Some light instructions are included for installing (just two easy steps really) and when I started up X-Plane 11 with the Yak-40…it was all working…except 30 seconds later my engines died. The forums indicate that if you are starting with the engines running, you need to immediately turn your generators ON, and turn the battery ON since it defaults to ground power or something. You’ll also probably need to hunt around and find the inverter switch to power your AC equipment (some radios, autopilot, and attitude indicator). But by and large, it only takes a few switches to be ready for flight. I did NOT try to cold start it yet - that will happen next week.

It is a fun little airplane that has a gorgeous cockpit. It would be nice if Felis revisited it and updated some of his planes to XP 11 compliance…I’d buy them again. You’ll also need to either map a button to the nosewheel steering activation or turn off the “realistic” nosewheel option in the Yak 40 options menus.

There are some shadow issues on the leading and trailing edge of the wing…don’t know what that is about…but it doesn’t really detract from the plane much…

It flies in an interesting manner. Almost like it needs some SAS or something…perhaps I didn’t find the yaw damper switch, but it feels like a bit of an active aircraft.

But flies honestly enough…

The nice cockpit…I actually had to find my original install files to change the cockpit to English - for some reason those files are left out of this modified XP11 version… (If anyone needs the English files…I can send them to you…I think it is only 19MB or so…)

Overhead panel…I think those are radios (ARK type stuff?)

X-0244

Engine APU and start panel that I haven’t tried yet…

Nice menu for setting static items…

I’ll have to explore the An-24 as well. Issues with that aircraft prevented me from using it on a Mudspike Christmas Flight a few years back…so maybe it can be raised from the dead…!

5 Likes