32GB Memory and X-Plane 11

When building my latest computer, the wisdom from the old hands was that 16Gb was going to be the new big thing. Based on past history of how that type of advise usually works out, I immediately purchased 32GB, and seriously thought about 64! :crazy_face:

4 Likes

You’ll probably like the Noctua then - it is silent until quite a long way up the fan speed curve. I’ll be interested to hear your opinion once you’ve played with it a bit.

1 Like

Finally squeezed it in tonight. It’s a monster of a heatsink - what a unit this lad! :slight_smile:

I really like it so far, the instructions were very good, the bits supplied great (included some decent paste and a screwdriver long enough to get into the Nostromo-like fins) and so far it is very impressive at cooling. I do have an extra spare 120mm fan on it, but not sure I even need it. I actually had to flatten some fan holder clips on the case door to make the thing fit. Nice and snug. Bad photo follows, so others can get the idea from the enormous grey block the size of this thing:

An overclock of all 8 cores at 5 GHz doing work and it is happy at 55 C in a warm room. Just with a quick Smart Fan 5 profile it is doing really well. I think I’ll be able to overclock using this thing a little more, but I’ll let it settle in a bit.

EDIT: Here’s a stock photo of how it looks on a motherboard out of the case and just one fan. It’s basically Godzilla. Recommended.

Image from: https://www.hardwareheaven.com/noctua-nh-d15-review-2/

4 Likes

3 Likes

We have footage of @fearlessfrog trying to install another stick of RAM into his mobo yesterday…

windy1

3 Likes

@fearlessfrog did you install both fans or just one? I didn’t have space for both fans but found the performance excellent with just one installed between the fins, so didn’t bother relocating the spare one.

1 Like

The big one that came with it in the middle, and a smaller 120mm I had on the outside, towards the case back exit. I chose a ‘left-right’ orientation for it, otherwise it crushes the DRAM slots. It’s pretty much a solid chunk of plastic and metal in there now, and I had about 2mm spare to actually be able to close the case.

One thing I did learn, if any future googlers find this, is to fit the fan power headers on to the main board (CPU, CPU OPT etc) before you put the behemoth in place, as once it is in then there’s no getting around it.

1 Like

Sound and wind-wise it’s very quiet, it’s nearly all just metal doing its thing, plus the bigger the fan, the slower it spins, which makes it quieter. Small fans are the devils work for noise :wink:. Ironically a little quieter than the radiator and fans for the water cooler I was using before, plus it works better.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have had difficulty convincing others of that in the past. :grin: