5,000 Post Apocalypse - What To Do?

The forum becomes invite only - they’ll be an interview based on memes skill level. :slight_smile:

Nothing bad happens, in that I can up it to 10,000 or something (I did that for personal message limits already, where people used Mudspike resources to organize stuff) but it’s more a hint that we are sort of ‘using it wrong’. I think the only downside is some of the indexes / search start to struggle in terms of performance, in that when the data structures were originally designed ( Category → Topic → Posts ) the ideal was for less that 5,000 posts, as ‘Topics’ were the key term structure. So it’s not really a disaster.

We basically either need to think about some sub-forums (called Categories here) or split up some big Topics a bit. We (um, I) sort of ignored it for a years now, so it’ll be fine I think, especially as we’re seeing usage trend down now anyway, certainly in the DCS area.

In a pinch just lock the old thread and open a new one with the same title but a 2 after it.

We have been doing that for ages in the forums I am moderating. Usually after 1000 posts or so in a thread.

1 Like

Yep, that’s a good idea and we can do that. For some of the ‘continuous running ones’ that makes sense as well, i.e. maybe even put a year on it and do it annually. For the ones like this specific DCS module one, I do worry a bit that someone just joining the forum would be put off a topic as big as this one. @discobot estimates a 437 minute read time, and that’s just the summary. :slight_smile:

I’ll split this off, as it’s worth a chat on what different ways we can look at this.

1 Like

:joy::joy::+1::+1: This made me chuckle.

1 Like

We could always lock the Thread and copy paste the last ten posts to a Mk2 thread and so on ad infinitudo.

1 Like

We’ve also got an ‘Auto Close’ feature that we never use. I think it can be set up to do something like close a topic if no activity for a few weeks etc. That would help the ones that are long but quieter, in that people sort of how to create new topics when needed a bit more. Dunno.

1 Like

Yeah, this puppy below.

Seems to do something. :slight_smile:

Cool.

1 Like

I’m going to mission impossible it every 7 days and stop it closing. Cruise will be begging for the script… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t want this thread to close. (I’ll be back next week)

1 Like

(Better than MacGyver’ing it)

1 Like

For things like the Bug, F-14, etc, what about have a pre-release, EA, and release thread as the module moves along? That should help break up the mega topics, and keep the info in them a little more chronologically relevant.

1 Like

Not sure I like that one. I would hate to be reopening new threads on the same subject that don’t get a lot of traffic. My IL-2 1946 thread would be a good example of that type of thread. Everything is related but I don’t post in it daily or even weekly but I am trying to keep it all in one location.

Too bad you can’t have an auto close feature that starts a new topic when the thread reaches a preset number of replies (1000, 2000, whatever) with the same header and an identifier automatically. The first post in the thread would also link back to the last post of the preceding thread.

Wheels

2 Likes

Yep I can see that. Not keen on it either. For some forums the ‘auto close’ is more a spam protection thing, but we’ve got other things that work pretty well for that.

We do have an ‘auto close at post count’ and I up’d it to 10,000 to put off the decision. :slight_smile: What it doesn’t do is the nice bit of a starting a new topic and linking back to the new one, but that’s not really that much of burden for the lazy staff to do in reality.

I think we have a couple of things going on:

• Long running topics that have a natural rhythm where adding to the pile is a good thing to do. Sort of like the ‘Where You Are’ picture thread. I can see that just being cut up into annual topics, with nice links put between the years.

• Some stuff, usually around the flight sim things, goes onto ‘the pile’ topics but probably is worth being its own topic, especially as that helps newer members find stuff and usually encourages more chat around a specific topic. For that I think we’ve got a couple of options to mull over, but it is tweaking things so that stuff like the ‘F/A-18C’ topic isn’t it’s own mini-subforum, i.e. we reorg things a tiny bit to make it more obvious on where to post new stuff about that particular subject. We resisted it a fair bit, but sheer post count means it might be time to look at the options.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas so far gents, keep it coming.

Due to it’s complexity in systems, I think the Hornet should get its own sub-forums like what was just done for the Tomcat. With such a variety of weapons and so many different systems and modes, those are typically worth their own threads. Example: datalink & IFF discussion.

———

Another idea, that I suggest with hesitation - is a proper image gallery. I have yet to find one in general (most I find aren’t stellar), and so far no results for Discourse that covers what I think would do the job.

The screenshot thread is also a long one, but if such a beast exists, a gallery plug-in that would allow members to post images freely, and then add tags - would be great. Want to see everyone’s MiG-19 shots? Filter by tag “MiG19” for example. If it also has a “newest posts” even better. I think that would also help keep older ones more relevant, instead of lost in a multi-hundred post thread.

If it can’t do all of that, it would definitely be more trouble than it’s worth, hence my hesitation on the matter.

3 Likes

Totally just came here to say this. I like the idea of the sub forms.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea, and I did play around with a few and sort of wrote about 70% of one (with just the remaining 60% of effort left :wink:). One of the main problems was the galleries sort of make the display a lot better, but it starts to hurt the ‘replies’ side, as it looks a bigger deal to respond and say ‘I like your sickle in that livery!’ and then have a mini conversation about that. For the picture topics I sort of like these mini side-tracks, as they let people chat about the images freely. So yep, a gallery would be good, but we’d need to find a way for responses to fit naturally as well. Maybe a special ‘viewer button’ or something…

2 Likes

As an update on this, @Fridge did some good stuff.

The criteria for ‘mega topic == new sub forum’ was stuff that was approaching the doomed 5,000 posts. For stuff that has a lot, but doesn’t need an entire sub-category of its own, it gets ‘annualized’ in that we can do a new topic per year (which is cool, as we can nostalgia like crazy over the old stuff again).

Thanks @Fridge!

Here’s the topic list, sorted by replies:

Mudspike Forums

2 Likes

One might interpret the title of the thread to bee something about 5,000 (people) living in Post Apocalypse times…and What To Do …possibly a new post apocalyptic computer game like Fallout 3, Wasteland 2 and the Nancy Drew mystery series?:hushed:

Evidently not.

1 Like

As promised (a little late).

2 Likes