Aerofly FS 4 Flight Simulator - Now available on Steam for Windows, Mac and Linux!

So… Trying to figure out if I wanna be the guinea pig…

https://www.aerofly.com/community/forum/index.php?thread/18593-aerofly-fs-4-flight-simulator-now-available-on-steam-for-windows-mac-and-linux/

Aerofly FS 4 - General Features

• Realistic flight and ground physics
  • Intuitive user interface with location map and graphical route editor
  • Start the flight instantly in a cruise, takeoff or landing configuration;
  • or on the ground ready for taxi or cold and dark
  • Highly detailed and interactive 3D cockpits
  • Time-Skip feature to jump ahead in the flight
  • Instant replay
  • Optional simulated copilot that can fly the aircraft autonomously
  • Optional flight assistance features like automatic nav-tuning, automatic lights, caution/warning muting and other quality of life features
  • Flight logs, statistics and achievements
  • Flight mission presets and custom missions
  • Global Air Traffic based on 10,000+ real world flights
  • 1200+ custom modeled airports
  • High resolution aerial images
  • Scenery cultivation: 3D buildings, powerlines, wind-turbines, trees, etc.
  • Custom modeled famous landmarks and bridges
  • World wide elevation, aerial images and navigation data coverage
  • Sloped and curved runways
  • Adjustable time of day, visibility, wind, clouds, thermal activity and turbulence
  • Real time ground illuminating from aircraft lights and apron flood lights
  • Most common joysticks assigned out of the box and ready for your first flight
  • Support for multiple joysticks, throttle units, rudder pedals and more
  • Full Oculus Rift VR support and full Oculus Touch controller support
  • HTC Vive VR support and full Vive Controller support
  • TrackIR support
  • Support for Saitek Multi Panel, Radio Panel, Switch Panel and Saitek TPM

Aerofly FS 4 - Aircraft Features

• Very large selection of highly detailed aircraft
  • Fully interactive 3D cockpits, fully VR hands compatible!
  • Highly realistic physics simulation with full multibody simulation
  • State of the art real-time flight physics with dynamic computations for airfoil lift, drag and moment based on flap, slat and spoiler positions, propeller wash, ground effect and wing downwash
  • Natively simulated wing bending - no animation
  • Realistic ground physics with full landing gear compression
  • Custom engine simulation based on thermodynamic cycle
  • Cold and Dark startups
  • Adjustable cockpit lighting and display brightness
  • Authentic EFIS displays including electronic checklists in the most modern airliners
  • Very high level of system depth and thousands of custom coded aircraft systems
  • Caution and warning systems
  • Realistic GPWS callouts
  • Realistic Autopilot that operate just like the real thing, with full LNAV/VNAV or
  • managed/selected modes, auto-land and mode reversions
  • Custom fly-by-wire systems with realistic handling qualities and protections
  • FMS programming using MCDU and CDU devices, including IFR procedures like
  • Departures, Arrivals and Approaches (SIDs, STARs, APPRs)
7 Likes

May be of interest:

For existing Aerofly FS 2 customers we would like to summarize what has changed in the new Aerofly FS 4 Flight Simulator and what new features there are in the new sim.

System Requirements

Aerofly FS 4 uses relatively new graphics features which may not be available on older hardware.

• Quad-Core CPU
  • 8GB or more RAM
  • Graphics card with 4GB+ RAM, Vulkan support and OpenGL 4.0 (or higher)

If you previously used high or ultra graphics quality you now need to bump that down a notch or even two. We changed the graphics settings to make full use of new and modern graphics cards and the ultra setting is only recommended for these cards.

Graphics

New lighting engine

Aerofly FS 4 features new real-time dynamic multi-color lights that illuminate the ground and objects in the scene - You’ll see landing, taxi, nav, beacon, strobe lights, etc. and airport apron flood lights in some of our screenshots. These lights are quite optimized and there barely any performance impact from them.

Performance optimizations

We’ve changed the way how and when airports and scenery tiles get loaded. With a global airport database we know ahead of time when we get close to an airport that needs to be loaded for rendering. The loading then happens in the background and only for the closest airports that you can see. Images and elevation data as well as the new buildings and trees are also loaded in this manner.

With this change the Aerofly FS 4 application loads even quicker than Aerofly FS 2, On our hardware we measure a time from desktop to flying in as little as 12 seconds on a freshly restarted PC with SSD.

In the simulator you’ll now see a lot more buildings and trees. Depending on your graphics card all these buildings increase the load on your graphics card and to keep the same high FPS you may need to decrease the graphics quality a bit.

Aerofly FS 4 now uses our own cloud rendering techniques which allows us to increase the cloud draw distance significantly.

Available Regions

Aerofly FS 4 still has global coverage of lower resolution aerial images and elevation like Aerofly FS 2 as global navigation data. So you can still fly around the world like before. To limit download size Aerofly FS 4 has several free Addons (DLCs) that you can install to increase the high detail region size or ground image resolution.

Airports

• Over 1200 hand made high quality airports are available with all free DLCs installed
  • New apron flood lights
  • New taxiway edge and centerline lights
  • New hold short guard lights
  • Several U.S. airports were updated and some were added as well

Scenery & Cultivation

All US regions that were previously DLCs for FS 2 are now included in the base scenery of Aerofly FS 4.

Oregon and Washington states have been added to the base scenery region, so now the base simulator scenery now covers the entire west coast and reaches far in land up to Colorado and Arizona. The Florida Keys and Miami region as well as the New York metropolitan area are also included.

A very large section of Europe is available as a free DLC covering everything from West-Europe up to a line from Estonia to about Moldavia, Bulgaria, not included yet are Greece and Turkey at this time, but we’re continuing our work in Europe as well as other regions.

• 3d buildings everywhere and trees based on several different data sources
  • Full coverage with buildings and trees in the entire flying area
  • Custom modeled points of interest (POIs) like castles, famous buildings (in Europe more than 500+ POIs)
  • New library buildings and structures like towers, cranes, antennas, powerlines, churches, chimneys and cooling towers, fuel tanks and grain silos, etc.
  • New wind-turbines that rotate in the wind
  • New building types and textures
  • New building shapes like T and L shapes or custom footprint
  • New roof shapes

Air Traffic

• Simulated air traffic based on tens of thousands of real world global airline flights
  • Airline, Cross country and local flights
  • Optional flight labels and flight path traces
  • Animated aircraft models with rotating propellers, moving flaps and landing gear
  • Traffic is automatically removed when the player wants to takeoff or land and a collision is imminent

Flight Missions

• Select from recommended 10,000+ real world airline flights and immediately start flying
  • Adjust the flight conditions, routing and/or aircraft if desired
  • Lots of custom flight presets for sight seeing, practicing and flying challenges like the circling approach into Innsbruck

Time-Skip

• With the push of a button the aircraft can be teleported along the planned route to skip long and boring cruise segments
  • Combine the time-skip with the immediate selection of a new flight mission and you’ll be able to visit many new places very quickly

Career and Achievements

• Pilot and aircraft log books to review recent flight paths and to track flight time
  • Statistics of takeoffs, landings and flight time per aircraft and in different aircraft categories
  • Achievements for different aircraft categories
  • Achievements are non-invasive, there is no pop-up or sound during flight
  • Flight school removed: Was only working with the C172 and wasn’t flexible or expandable, now we have more assistances during the flight and more of a learning by doing approach

Assistances

• Many quality of life features like automatic tiller nose wheel steering with rudder input when not assigned otherwise have been added
  • Optional assistances have been added that can help the user during the flight
  • Copilot can fly the aircraft from A to B fully automatically, just press ‘c’ to give control to the copilot
  • Copilot can be used to maintain current path while the user goes AFK for a second, like having an autopilot with autothrottle in every aircraft
  • Assistances like automatic landing lights, automatic caution/warning mute after a few seconds, auto-tuning, auto-propeller speed, auto pressurization, etc.

Flight-Info

• New aircraft configuration display showing gear, flaps, slats, airbrake, parking brake, pitch trim
  • New mini-map in the flight info showing extended centerline to best suitable runway
  • Improved attitude indicator with autopilot flight mode annunciator

Control Assignments

As before a lot of the common joysticks and yokes available on the market already have the correct assignment out of the box

• We’ve added even more default assignments for more devices so users can start flying right away
  • Users with multiple devices or devices with several levers can now define specialized assignments for:
  • Twin prop, twin jet, quad jet (and default)

Menu improvements

• Improved navigation menu with easier route creation
  • Improved controls menu with more options
  • New menus for assistances, career & flight-log, missions

New Aircraft

• A320 with Sharklets
  • A380 (*)
  • B787-10 (*)
  • Bf109e (*)
  • CRJ-900 (*)
  • Ju 52 (*)
  • Fokker DR 1

(*) Aircraft AddOn DLC

Aircraft Features

• All aircraft now with landing flights that illuminate the ground
  • Almost all aircraft now feature a ‘cold and dark’ preset option
  • New aerodynamics simulation (see details below)
  • New turbo-engine simulation (see details below)
  • New electrical systems added in a lot of aircraft
  • New master caution and warning systems for most aircraft that have this IRL
  • New realistic radar height callouts
  • New GPWS terrain warnings
  • New and more realistic engines sounds in A320 and many other new sounds like APU and avionics fans
  • New experimental first hydraulics simulation in A320
  • New experimental fuel system in C172 and A320
  • New simulated touch screen displays in modern airliners (simulating the cursor control device)
  • New electronic checklists in modern airliners
  • New EFB in the B777 and B787 (work in progress)
  • Added approach marker indications
  • Many improvements to autopilot, FMS and CDU
  • Improvements to the individual EFIS systems and screen rendering
  • Aircraft with EFIS door pages or door indicator lights now have clickspots on them to open that specific door from within the cockpit (applicable to aircraft where the doors are modeled)
  • Countless small new features added to the entire fleet of aircraft, several thousand changes in each airliner
  • Many small bugs have been fixed

New Aerodynamics Simulation

• Airfoil simulation now uses the current flaps, slats and spoiler deflections to compute lift, drag and moment coefficients
  • Multiple control surfaces (not just 2 like before) are now allowed, e.g. inboard and outboard aileron and inboard and outboard flaps on the same wing as well as individual spoilers
  • Added Mach drag rise

New Turbo-Engine Simulation

• Turbofan engines and turboprop engines now use our new thermodynamic component based engine physics simulation
  • All components of the engine are simulated based on physics laws and characteristic parameter such as intake area, design compression ratio, efficiency, etc.
  • Modular approach allows realistic simulation of engines with multiple spools like the three spools found in the RR Trent 972B engine
  • This engine simulation inherently has a more realistic behavior and dynamically responds to environmental conditions such as temperature and density changes
3 Likes

Looks nice. I enjoyed FS2 in VR but couldn’t get past some of the quirks in the sim. FS4 looks really tempting.

As seen from the perspective of a VR user?

Still the same horrid graphics . I’ll pass . Wishing i hadn’t wasted the money on FS2 .

1 Like

I share your sentiment and will take a pass as well.

I don’t think the graphics is that bad, but it is a mixed bag… The detailed scenery is rather good, but the generic is bland. It is easy on the hardware resources, though, which means a fluid VR experience.
I was quite impressed with the feature log and I will give it a try.

I wish it were merely bland :slight_smile: But it is horrid , i tell you , horrid !
I spend a lot of time very low in DCS with a Reverb . Dead fluid and no stomach dismay while pulling inverted over a ridge , rolling 90 and slicing on a knife-edge down into a gorge , reversing the turn to follow the canyon 100’ off the deck .

Merely looking at the water or vegetation in FS2 , however , makes me feel a little queasy . Even the pic above showing a little of 'Frisco Bay illustrates my point .

Perhaps you have a stronger stomach than I , or perhaps all artwork need not be universally appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep you are right! Hideous! Absolutely hideous! I… I… Hrrllgggggg!!! :nauseated_face: :yum:

I always found AeroFly to look great (within the high detail areas), have excellent flight physics and run exceptionally well in VR. I am sure this will be a great update to the sim….unfortunately it will have a hard time gaining traction when there is a 400 Lb Gorilla sat in the corner of the room wearing a Microsoft/Asobo flight jacket, replete with a red Remove Before Flight flag attached to one of the zippers (I had to chuckle at the flight jackets featured on the recent Asobo/Smithsonian video)… :wink:

2 Likes

I think the biggest problem Aerofly will have, and has had, is getting dedicated simmers to simply accept it for what it is, instead of expecting / demanding it to be direct competition for MSFs. (For instance)

I myself think of it as surprisingly technically proficient medium-level VR and also phone/tablet oriented sim.

More VTOL VR than DCS.

Exactly. I lead with “I don’t think”, for this very reason. :blush:
Opinions will differ. :wink:

2 Likes

Honestly since MSFS2020 came out I’m not flying any other civil flight sim (I have AeroFly FS2, X-Plane 11, few older MSFS, DTG Flight School/FSW). One - I don’t have enough time, second - MSFS2020 suits all my needs.

Good to know! Meanwhile I am, perhaps not too unexpectedly, finding Aerofly pretty stunning in its Vr clarity and speed (I actually thought there was something wrong with my FPS counter, until I realized Aerofly simply had it pegged solidly at my screens max refresh rate of 144hz)

Add in some nice ATC, and I would be a pretty happy camper!

its really tempting … btw was thinking lately about all the problems people have with DCS carrier landings and AAR … maybe, just maybe it could be caused be the lack of smoothness of DCS (low fps, stutters, microfreezes etc.) !?

I immediately recognize that my sims are not running 90+ fps but 60 instead on my pancake, somehow just can recognize the lack of fluidity

happened to me recently when I changed nvidia drivers and the settings reverted from 120Hz to 60Hz

thats why its so tempting to try this one. can anyone provide some pics / vids of eastern europe scenery ? like czech / slovak / poland / hungary terrain ? that could be the selling point for me.

Nice little travelogue…

2 Likes