Aerofly FS2 (screens)

1 Like

3 Likes

How strange.

Ever since the release of msfs, Iā€™ve been neglecting aerofly, and in fact havenā€™t touched it.

Today, I suddenly got the urge and also wanted to apply some of the things that I had learned about jetliners from msfs to aerofly and see how they worked.

Interestingly enough it was startling to once again to see the speed and clarity of the Sim in VR, which I had somehow partially forgotten.

More startling was how responsive and accurate the controls felt as the autopilot followed the course absolutely flawlessly, which is something not always to be expected in Microsoft flight simulator.

I walked away with feelings of regret that the potential of this Sim might be lost forever due to Microsoft flight simulator sucking all the oxygen out of the room for other Sims at this time.

Then I come here, and see that you made a post about aerofly! Now thatā€™s what I call a coincidence!

I agree. The third party developers seem to have given up on the commercial prospects of releasing scenery for Aerofly FS2. In a wayā€¦that is helpful for me since Iā€™m sometimes buying scenery for four different products now (P3D, X-Plane, MSFS, and AF2). But AF2 does some things really well - that Q400 with the HUD is one of my favorites. And it works with no real configuring or messing around with settings. But you also get that simplicity because it isnā€™t as complexā€¦as obvious as that sounds.

I was actually looking at it because I was writing an article on Samedan (LSZS) and the scenery depiction in AF2 is pretty good for that area. A shame the FMS doesnā€™t have the RNP approaches though.

1 Like

Well, here is an update I never got around to mentioning. I honestly was not sure if anyone cared anymore.

Dear Aerofly Users

Ipacs have updated the Aerofly FS 2 Steam version today, mainly improving the navigation.

Change-Log (2020-12-04):

• Top of climb and top of descent are computed correctly again
  • Constraints at the departure runway and arrival runway are removed from the navigation displays
  • Turns with a defined turn direction (left/right turn to heading) are now flown correctly and no longer end up in endless circles
  • Termination of segments and advancing to the next segment is more robust and the autopilot no longer heads off in a constant direction without following the route
  • Great circle flying has been restored allowing for long segments to be flown correctly (like a direct-to from Zurich to San Francisco)
  • Improvements to the route following of the copilot (which is available when overlay is enabled)
  • Missing navigation data for airports in the North-Eastern USA have been restored
  • A320 MCDU clicking the line select key next to the cruise altitude field now adds a suggested cruise altitude to the scratchpad

I think the main thing holding Aerofly back is a lack of world wide coverage. Itā€™s great if you are happy to fly within certain areas, but if you want to fly anywhere else, you are out of luck. It looks great within the covered areas, and pretty awful outside of those areas.

Some of the most enjoyable times I have spent in VR was flying in the Swiss Alps in the F/A 18. It looks great and is sooo fluid. Just donā€™t stray across the border into France or Italy. :scream:

1 Like