AI Helicopter shut down issue

Hi Guys

I’m new to the forum so please excuse me if I post this in the wrong place :slight_smile:

Okay, so I have a mission in DCS and just a part of the mission is a helicopter lands, picks up five infantry and then flies around on patrol for 45 minutes (while I go off and bomb the cr*p out of other stuff) and then lands. It is landing at a fixed wing air base so I added a single heliport at the airfield. If I just use the land option and set it to land on the helipad it lands on the main runway and then taxies along the entire run way and parks in the fixed wing default park. If I use the land command in a waypoint action it lands correctly on the helipad but the engine runs indefinitely. Any ideas? When I figure out how to do it, I’ll upload the mission :+1:

1 Like

I’ll take a stab at this.

When you have a mission, I’m thinking of one you actually make, and you want the helicopter to park in a certain spot at the airport, you use (as a mission creator) the regular waypoint (set to land). You can then, in the mission editor, set which parking spot the helicopter goes to. Now IIRC, helicopters will always land on the runway when you use an airport, unless it is one with skids and not wheels for landing gear.

A Waypoint Action is used by mission creators to make a helicopter land on a piece of ground where they usually either are tasked with dropping off troops or picking them up. Once that task is completed by the AI, the AI pilot of that helicopter then proceeds to take-off and move to the next waypoint.

It sounds like you are using a waypoint action to make a final landing somewhere for the AI but as stated earlier by me, that’s not how it works. If you want an AI helicopter to land and spool down somewhere on the map, you need to use an (invisible FARP) placed where you want the helicopter to land and then give that AI Pilot in the mission editor a regular (landing waypoint) so it will land on the ground and then spool down.

Hope this helps.

1 Like