Aleksei Navalny RIP

The world’s worst surprise. He was quite a hero.

10 Likes

I wouldn’t exactly call it a surprise. To me it would have been a surprise if they let him live.

RIP.

6 Likes

Yet another piece of a puzzle making up a picture that many still struggle (refuse?) to comprehend.

1 Like

It’s a shame to lose such a well-intended, brave, and determined individual. But as Aginor observed, it’s surprising that he lived as long as he did. I can’t begin to put myself in his shoes, but one might conjecture that he should have remained living abroad in order to continue the struggle. Perhaps he was convinced that he would be more effective in martyrdom, or that he would survive on his laurels as did Solzhenitsyn. Time will tell.

2 Likes

His wife making the press conference is a stunningly brave act

5 Likes

Sad.

I kinda wish he hadn’t gone back to Moscow, brave as that may have been. He could have chosen to become a spokesperson for the other Russia in exile, that isn’t a fascist, machismo laden autocracy. What a waste.

4 Likes

I don’t think he had a choice. Too many family members still in Russia.

Brave and Hero are often overused terms these days. Not in this case.

3 Likes

Was it worth it for them, though? Can we really know that his family will be safe now?
In a country with some semblance of justice, you would think so. In this case, however…

3 Likes

There is a video out of him joking with lawyers. He looked young, healthy and happy YESTERDAY!

2 Likes

I am pretty sure they would have been ‘less safe’ if he had remained in Germany or abroad after his treatment.

As for Navalny himself. I don’t think he was safe anywhere, we all know that international borders are no barrier to Putin’s assassins.

4 Likes

Pretty sure he would have fallen out of second story window had he stayed in Germany.

But I do agree calling him Hero. He knew he would die going back.

2 Likes

One wonders what new mealy-mush-mouthed, reality-free inanity certain congress critters will now spit up to sugarcoat their deliberate sabotage regarding Ukraine in its fight against this murderous regime…

8 Likes

The saddest thing for me—but what helps me now understand how bad guys in history thrived—is that society grades tyrants on a curve.

2 Likes

I think I have it figured out…it’s winner syndrome.
People want to back a winner, and they do not believe Ukraine can win, so they want to come out on the side of the winner even if they don’t care for him.
“Since Ukraine can’t win, why put it off? Negotiate now before it gets worse!”
Of course, they won’t be living in a defeated Ukraine, so they don’t care about that.

5 Likes

I mean apparently the FSB reached the Russian pilot that defected to Ukraine with his Mi-8.

12 pills of Russian lead-jacketed healthcare delivered at close range.
And he was in Spain… Navalny wasn’t safe anyhwhere.

More info: https://www.courthousenews.com/anger-mounts-in-eu-over-navalny-ukraine-losses-killing-of-russian-defector-in-spain/#:~:text=The%20body%20of%20Maksim%20Kuzminov,Monday%2C%20according%20to%20news%20reports.

3 Likes

I don’t think those people care for pretty much anything, beside themselves…