All the Big Updates

So, I’m guessing at least one or two of you have noticed that I’ve been rather scarce around here for a while now. So, now that all the things are starting to resolve, I can update y’all on what’s been going on.

As those of you all who’ve been keeping tabs in the “Children of the Spike” thread know, Dr. Mrs. Girlfriend and I have been fostering two little ones for quite a while now, with the hopes of being able to adopt.

On April 20th, we got a call from the lawyers handling our case that the adoption had been finalized the day before. So now, our little family is officially a family of 4:

In addition, this happened Friday, May 5th , after four very, very long years (I’ll tell you all the story of my Capstone group another time):

And finally, Thursday, May 4th I went into my office at the North Carolina Clean Energy Technology Center at NC State University for the very last time to turn over my last couple of projects, and turn in my keys and laptop. My last day isn’t actually until May 12th, but I’ve been burning as much leave as possible before I go, especially with the adoption happening so recently (after we’d already been anticipating it since April).

Now that we’ve announced it to our board, I can inform you all that beginning Monday May 15th, I’ll be working for the veteran-operated non-proft Common Defense, starting as their first policy analyst role, with my focus being on climate-related issues.

This is literally a dream job for me, and I couldn’t be more excited- especially after the last few years at my previous employer. As a matter of fact, the same week that I gave my notice, another coworker also gave notice that she and her husband were moving overseas for a job offer she’d taken, and this was just a few weeks after another coworker had taken a job elsewhere. I would say that maybe somebody would see the writing on the wall, but given the fact that none of us were granted the exit interviews we requested, I think the leadership doesn’t want to hear from us anyway. Oh well, not my problem any more, and onward and upwards!

So, now that school is done, I’ve been ordered by the better half that I must start getting back into my hobbies and rediscovering my social life. So, hopefully I’ll be catching up and flying with you fine folks more often soon!

33 Likes

Congratulations, that’s all so wonderful but particularly about the adoption!!

A good friend of ours had her adoption become official recently and she was over the moon about it, can only image how happy you guys are about it too.

3 Likes

So happy for you, for all those reasons!
It’s a wonderful thing to have all the planets line up like that.
Will be great to see more from you around here too!

3 Likes

Yes! Great great wonderful news! Really pleased for you and your newly grown family!

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Looks like you are making progress on all fronts.

Congrats to all of it!

2 Likes

Love it!!

Congrats on everything man!

2 Likes

Wow, talk about a ton of different plates spinning in the air at once!
Looks like you got them down without breaking any, which is the real accomplishment.

Enjoy them while they’re that little, it’s amazing how fast they go from picking up bugs to drama with their classmates…

2 Likes

Congratulations Ted! Couldn’t be happier for you and your family!

2 Likes

Awesome. I’m such a sucker for feel good stories… especially when they are real.

I couldn’t be happier for you and your family.

2 Likes

Wonderful news on all counts, @Navynuke99! It will be nice to see you around more often and maybe hear about the new job from time to time, plus pics of the new addition!

1 Like

Congratulations Ted! Really happy for you!

2 Likes

Thats all fantastic news … the future is looking bright :sunglasses: :sunny:

2 Likes

You’re awesome! What an incredible achievement. At this point all the energy and love is almost dripping down from that great picture of you and your family under the tree.

My hat off to the both of you! :tophat: Way to go!

2 Likes

Fantastic news Ted, the sky is the limit now!

2 Likes

Congratulations on all fronts Ted. We knew that you could do it man. Best wishes to you and your family. Beware of the dad bod. It is real.

2 Likes

Awesome news @Navynuke99! Congratulations on all of it!!!

2 Likes

Well done. You look like you will make great parents.
Wishes of good health and happiness to all.

2 Likes

Congratulations! That’s an amazing time in life - savor it all.

1 Like