An easier way to land?

That’s actually pretty close to my preferred method of landing the Cessna 140 I fly, smoothly reduce to idle on the downwind and keep it close in base-final, no flaps, slip if needed. It’s a lot more fun than dragging it in, and if the engine fails I won’t notice until I taxi clear.

6 Likes

I was going to say that also works for a 152 as well, albeit I usually a few knots to the approach in a right slip (left rudder/right aileron) because a crusty old CFI once told me that in a more than moderate slip that air over the static port tends to burble a bit causing the airspeed to read high. I never researched this but it seemed to be words of wisdom.

3 Likes

Late to this thread…but reading over @jross’s comments… I just have to say that the most fun I’ve had landing in DCS has always been with the MiG-21. It always feels like work…and always feels like disaster is looming. I love it.

4 Likes

This describes my helo landings perfectly. DCS is my favorite for landing, I love the russian birds because everything is metric

4 Likes

I avoid Russian aircraft because they are metric…
Will probably not buy the Viggen, because it is metric.

5 Likes

Why dont you do the 2 week trial on it.

Its an absolute beast

5 Likes

The Viggen is epic…you really should give it a go. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I fly the viggan when i want to go FAST. Between the trees.
The thing is genius.

The attack profile is really interesting as well for ground attack. Pop up, ID, roll on, drop, HAUL ASS.

The thrust reversers are good fun as well and quite tricky to master.

4 Likes

Can it fly in feet and knots?

3 Likes

No its metric only as the DME etc is set up for meters

To be fair its not that labour intensive to learn the cockpit in there anyway. Its a pretty simple to get going.

I very much enjoy the flight model and the compressor stalls are awesome when you get out the envelope.

pop…bang…BANG BANG BANG BANG “SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY”

2 Likes

Knots, KPH, MPH…. They are just units… fly by the numbers and everything tends to work out. I had similar problems when I decided to try the MiG15 but once I stopped trying to convert everything to feet and knots, it all fell into place.

2 Likes

Thats what i do. But i crash a lot so maybe dont listen to me

4 Likes

:rofl: Me too…but replacement airframes are cheap in DCS once you buy the first one. :grin:

5 Likes

Indeed. In every way possible. It’s like those crazy Swedish meatball eaters watched the Star Wars trench run and decided to build an X-Wing for that mission in real life. One that lives in tunnels on the side of mountain highways, and comes out to intercept SR-71 Blackbirds that stray into Swedish airspace while evading MiG-25’s.

If you haven’t flown it, you’re missing out. It’s an entirely different way of thinking, much less flying. One where grass stains on your gear doors and X-tank are to be expected.

Plus it has Automatisk Fart Kontroll, which I think we all need in our lives these days.

9 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

Absolutely, I usually fly the Viggen by mach number for everything but take off and landing. Altitude in the Viggen is very simple, if you are not trying to millimeter (get it, instead of inch…)higher because you are absolutely 100% sure you are going to impact the terrain, you are too high.

8 Likes