Antonov AN-225 article

Found this interesting article on reddit regarding the second half built Mriya.
I’ve chased the sister to this monster all over Britain and never got a good photo of it. Once I was on a scramble to get to Manchester Airport (3.5hr drive) to beat it there and I got stuck in traffic and the damn thing flew over before I could get my camera set up.
we have an interesting relationship myself and this Ukrainian beauty.
My time will come one day I’m sure of it. Until then the article is fairly interesting for people unaware of the second plane.

I just remembered another story. I live exactly 3 miles from brize norton airbase. I was awoken by an ingodly howl a few months back and put it down to a C17 with engine troubles. This was about 4 in the morning.
Damn 225 antonov snuck past me again! It’s like my white whale…

7 Likes

If the conflict in Ukraine ever settles down, it might be completed due to the new demands of private space exploration. Until that time comes though, foreign investors are likely extremely leery of getting anywhere near it, especially since folks are figuring out creative solutions to the logistics of moving oversized loads.

1 Like

We get the An-124s into Charlotte quite frequently…but I’ve never seen the 225.

1 Like

We get those fairly regularly as well. Always a treat to see them. Back in a former life I had my own truck and plant tyre fitting business and I was once called to fix a low loader (low boy for you Americans) tyre at brize norton. After clearing security I was led into the back of an AN124 and changed the tyre inside the back of the beasty. It was carrying armoured trucks for afghan I think. That was a great day although they wouldn’t let me see the cockpit as the crew wasn’t on board. :sob:

1 Like

Interesting! I feel you on the white whale part, I have a few too.

1 Like