Any geologists around?

So, I collect some of the native Limestone around my land and use it to line the various paths I’ve created. The normal stuff I get is very jagged and angular. Sizes range from baseball up to pumpkin

But this, is quite different. We don’t live near enough to the lake/river and are several hundred feet above. So this has me puzzled.

It’s about 5.5 inches long, 3.5 wide around. Weight, approx 5lbs

Any ideas?

I am not a geologist but limestone is a sedimentary rock so it was at the bottom of a body of water at some stage. My guess is that it is an igneous rock (looks like granite?) that has been weathered/smoothed by water or wind… Or you could be very lucky and it is a fossilised egg?

Perhaps get in contact with the USGS or Smthsonian - If they are anything like their equivalent bodies in Australia they actually enjoy fielding these sorts of questions from the public.

1 Like

It’s an Alien egg. Crack it open, but make sure you have a flamethrower.

Scared Ridley Scott GIF by foxhorror

3 Likes

be sure to ‘ask for a friend’ :wink:

1 Like

Funny you should say that…

I friend of my Brother is a geologist who has spent most of his life gold prospecting in Western Australia.

There is an old gold mine that shut down in 1962 not far from where we live and I have found a few flecks when panning in our river. I asked him what to do if I ever found a nugget and he said “tell no one but give me a call and I will tell you what you need to do to lodge a claim”.

My degree is Environmental Science. So I have no idea lol

What about a Geode?

3 Likes

I’m kind of leaning towards that.
Without an answer, I’m headed with the option to get a masonry blade and cut into it.

That would have been my first guess as well.

But my geology courses were 20 years ago and I never was that deep in so I might be very wrong.