Any here know how to fly He-111 on one engine?

can the pro’s here tell me what i’m doing wrong when I find myself on one engine in the he-111.
This happen alot for me, I always get hit with AAA fire and one engine is knocked out.

1 Like

Looks like your ’live’ engine struggled a bit too. I doubt it produced max power.
But, get rid of any bombs you might have onboard. You need to be as light as possible.
Bank into the live engine by 5-10° and use rudder to fly coordinated.

I’d leave the gear up for a field landing.

3 Likes

Troll isn’t trolling. Trust the guy.

2 Likes

do you know if the he 111 can even fly extended periods with only one engine?
I always thought it could?

As with just about everything in life, the answer is, “It depends”.

As @Troll mentioned, your running engine is damaged, so not capable of putting out full throttle. What was your manifold pressure on that engine?

Also didn’t look like the dead engines prop had been feathered, although it wasn’t windmilling. A windmilling engine is a lot of drag.

What was your aircraft weight? Airspeed? Configuration? and a few other factors

I am pretty sure you can find the proper procedure for an engine out in a twin engine on the internet somewhere…I think there was some discussion about it on this forum. Try some searches.

I have noticed that some of your questions are drawn for “combat experience”. In this case your right engine quit due to assumed enemy fire. That point in time is probably not the best time to start investigating engine out procedures in the He-111. :grin:

I suggest that you read up on engine out procedures–stuff like “Dead engine - Dead Foot” and “Raising the Dead”, Blue Line, Red Line, etc. and then practice them in a non-combat situation.

1 Like

Drawing from old IL2’46 knowledge:

Cut fuel, feather prop, jettison excess weight, get airspeed, find nearest landing site ASAP. Though usually in the P-38 there wasn’t an engine to cut fuel or feather the prop with.

I would absolutely think so…
Provided that the other engine performs well, and the aircraft isn’t too heavy.

One thing that came to mind is the fuel load. Have a look at Chucks guide and pay attention to the fuel planning. A 100% fuel load is a lot of weight to carry about.

https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-il-2-bos-he-111h-6/

2 Likes

maybe the problem is the other engine is usually always damaged

Try flying some single engine without getting shot at. Real pilots would’ve practised this before going to war, too. :wink:

2 Likes

yeah think i need to practice abit when plane isnt on fire

2 Likes