Anybody using VAICOM with DCS?

With the Tomcat in the groove and with HB devs saying that using VAICOM is the best way to interface with Jester, I thought that this would be a good time to rekindle this thread. I had tried VAICOM a year ago and it fell off the radar screen for some reason that I can’t remember. Anyway, I flattened my VoiceAttack folder and reinstalled everything.

First question for you gurus is even though the only thing in my C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\Apps folder is VAICOMPRO, I’m still seeing old profiles in the drop-down list. I am worried that VA will automatically try to map these when I fly one of those a/c. Does anyone else know where that list might be built, say the Registry or AppData folder? Thanks.

VA-profiles

Edit: Found the answer in the VA forum. FWIW, I would probably delete that folder when uninstalling VoiceAttack.

3 Likes

Oh man, the VAICOM plugin works really well, save a few non-English words, like field names that I am probably not pronouncing correctly to begin with. Blew most of my Sunday tinkering with this, mostly because I’m trying to put together a profile for the Hornet that handles Discord, Simple Radio, and now VoiceAttack. :rage: I really don’t like using a keyboard once I get flying. Wingman, AWACS, and tanker calls are just brilliant. Hoping for a Kitty/Jester version ASAP, although I see the genius of the wheel.

2 Likes

I got about two hours on it and I am having a great time with it. The two videos I watched and the manual got me to where I can do what I need. I “trained” my voice recognition for about 20 minutes.
Now I just did the 400 plus words. I don’t think I saved it right, but lets see. So far so good.

1 Like

Just started using mine again, but my VoiceAttack has also been learning from my HCS for Elite Dangerous. I thought the Tomcat VA compatibility was coming on launch? I seem to remember somebody showing a prelaunch video a few weeks ago using it with Jester.

Ive been at it all day. Don’t know what I did wrong. It does not change stations as it is supposed to. Worse yet, I cant just change it manually and talk to the next ATC.
Putting it back on the shelf…

I’ve been using VA for some time now with my own profiles, and it works just fine about 99.9% of the time, so thought I’d try VAICOM so I wouldnt have to step through the radio menus.
Well, it seems my voice and accent does not play well with VAICOM. Maybe it’s because it relies on single keyword recognition instead of sentences, I don’t know.
Fact is, after quite a lot of training, it’s still extremely unreliable/unuseable for me, while a pure VA profile just works. So before anyone buys the PRO version, it would probably be a good idea to make sure the free VAICOM version will work for you first.

I have looked at this many times over the years. Now we have no B&B guests anymore I may have to try it. Stand by for noobish questions

1 Like

FYI, the VAICOM extension AIRIO (Jester) has released. Will test and report back here.

I’ve been testing the Chatter Themes extension pack and mostly it works well. Sometimes on Auto mode, it assumes too much. Like when you are flying the Tomcat you can mostly here LSO calls. But overall, if you are single player, it’s nice to have a little background chatter IMO.

2 Likes

I guess I sound like I have a mouth full of tobacco because Viacom is only about %50 effective in recognizing when I say “Two engage air defenses” It will think I am saying their defenses or some other nonsense.

I have done the voice training and may try doing that again because when I watch Froogle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFwDgJP4PqM&index=11&list=PLmWGj5fnjD9MQH6vJMHe7zgZ3t2PPGix4&t=123s rattle off tons of commands and it all works…I am like F*ck yeah that is what I want!

I need to go through all of the commands as well in training mode. Over 700 of them at this point if memory serves. Perhaps I could cut it down to the most troublesome, although I haven’t had many. TACAN is definitely one of them.

For those of you wanting to try out the AIRIO extension but having trouble installing it, there is a good post in the ED forum walking you through the last bit, adding the new Keywords to the VAICOM profile. The latest VAICOM Pro manual has a list of AIRIO command syntax pages 53-58. Quite a lot of them in fact :unamused:

A beautiful relationship has begun.

3 Likes

Is anybody having issues with Vaicom/ Voice Attack randomly crashing, usually at the worst possible times? It seems like I can’t keep it running for more than maybe 10 minutes at a time before it all crashes and has to be restarted.

1 Like

Have you tried reinstalling some codecs?
Or Sound card drivers?

It’s been really stable for me. Maybe try running it as administrator? I’m using it with BoX too. No issues.

Edit: you might already be doing this but, page 4 of the VAICOM manual:

Make sure VoiceAttack runs as administrator and plugin support is enabled.

1 Like

For me the current open beta will not load further than 10% in the DCS splash screen when I’ve VA running.

Apparently they’re working on it. Anybody got a workaround? I don’t want to fly the Tomcat with the Jester wheel.

I made my own voice attack profile instead of using Vaicom. Less powerful and less immersive but it works.

Lately I have some problems with the voice recognition so I use it less, but it works fine with the current openBeta.

For Jester I mostly use the wheel but I have a few functions in my VA profile.

1 Like

What Aginor said or wait for the update, what I am doing.

1 Like

Even with the new version I had some issues. So I dug deeper and found this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4231129&postcount=4371

I followed the procedures and also read the infos in the updated Vaicom manual:

After this I removed the “start/stop listening” commands from my TX keys and rebuilt the keyword database.

DCS is now launching with VA running.

:partying_face:

1 Like

I haven’t had any issues with the latest V-Pro update myself. I do not however use the new fancy-schmancy VSPX thing. Just haven’t gotten a Round Tuit for that yet.

Mine’s working. Turns out all that I had to do was download the latest and tick the OB box in VAICOM configuration config tab. Not sure how it got “unticked”. Jester’s back to bustin’ my balls.