ARMA 3: Contact. New expansion

I can understand some of the DLCs feeling kind of weak, but I don’t get that vibe from Contact. It looks like they’re really trying to make a compelling experience, which has always been the weak spot since ArmA2.

2 Likes

I’ve got nearly 1900 hrs in arma3. I’ve definitely had my moneys worth out of it. I’ve bought every dlc and I’m very excited for contact.

It looks like a completely different vibe and I respect the effort they have put into it, can’t wait!

2 Likes

I got less than 200 in and just sort of lost interest as it was too much of the same thing. Sure there were good moments, but it lived up to that “hours of boredom/moments of terror” trope too well. For every hour of great stuff it seemed like I had 10+ hours of standing around, transporting from A to B in dull conditions, or searching buildings or forests for nothing.

The problem with an FPS based in reality is that it’s just not that sustainably interesting. That’s why I game. If it was that exciting in the real world, I would do that. It’s not.
At least the alien idea should make things interesting with a healthy dose of SF. Debating if I should bother or if it will fail to be different enough for me.

1 Like

I think Arma 3 is the worst of the fanchise.

Operation Flashpoint was a game changer for me and whilst the graphics have aged, the old iron sights and being able to sneak into a firing position or actually see the enemy trying to flank you seems to have been missed with the world championship targeting capability of Arma 3 AI.

ARMA 2 was the mods dream, it had everything but being stuck behind a small pebble, being unable to hide in trees etc. was frustrating.

ARMA 3 should have nailed it but the AI, story line and near future vehicles were appalling, not to mention standing in a fort behind armored walls and the AI giving you a head shot through a letterbox slit at 500m really annoyed me. Mission editor is pretty special though.

4 Likes

First, welcome aboard.

Next, I agree the the AI in ARMA 3 sucks. I’m a solo player due to time and tolerance (to an extent), so it burns that the AI can shoot you under some near impossible circumstances. With some tweaking, ARMA 3 would be the perfect tactical sim for me.

Finally, I do like the concept of the new DLC and may end up getting it.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Nice! Love the new hat at 6:36 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Launch trailer just dropped:

1 Like

I hope they don’t hurt the aliens

I’m definitely getting this. I’m very interested in how it will play.

1 question… If the world went dark. Why did the chopper fall out the sky completely OOC. would autorotate not work in an electrically dead world? :thinking:

Modern helicopters wouldn’t have an issue with autorotation unless said blackout event also included some form of blast wave. The EMP might blow out the SAS or similar systems but it’d still be controllable.

ArmA3verse oddball helis? Dunno. The helicopter that crashed was a Westland Lynx expy so I’d assume it’d have direct controls to the hydraulics.

1 Like

Well that’s the only thing that really matters!

normal, worn out structures on each and every guide… it’s exhausting. I uninstalled Arma 3 months prior and decline to introduce again except if they make something really WORTH the effort’s asking cash and more significant… a colossal new library of structures, objects and so forth and so on would be Great!!!

I doubt there’ll be any significant effort going into A3 when they’re up to their elbows in working on A4.