ARMA 3 Tanoa Map with Apex?

Pseudo Osprey. New Osprey. Turbo Osprey? Osprey X? Neo-Osprey? NeOsprey. Nue-Sprey?

How many tons of Mentos can I deliver to the small villages of Tanoa?

Let the crashing into the local inhabitants begin.

4 Likes

Waiting for some Tanoa helicopter missions
 :helicopter: I can drop myself into a helo using the Apex Editor
but I’d rather see something really fleshed out to give me some jaw dropping impressions of Tanoa

So couldn’t resist and hopped in the new Caesar BTT to take a short hop around Tanoa. It’s a nice looking aircraft
probably unrealistically high performing (in terms of acceleration), and I’m sad to report that (as of now anyway) there has been no change (that I could tell) to the fixed wing flight model. That means that fixed wings still don’t (frustratingly) really display any real “horizontal component of lift”. Thus, if you bank the aircraft 60 degrees and hold altitude, the airplane just bores ahead straight ahead with no real turning evident. Was hoping they would be working on this since helo flight models are fairly good

Here I am in my “PRESS” kit
 :wink:

Nice trim available on the Caesar
very executive. No greasy guns allowed
!!

Modern looking panel. Only the ADI, altitude, compass, and airspeed really work though. THe center MFD didn’t appear to have much working there (not even RPM). Not that I really care
this is a ground warfare sim
but it would be cool if they fleshed these things out at some point.

Heading out at one of the airfields

Tanoa looks really nice

The plane takes off like a rocket and accelerates to some pretty impressive airspeeds

Flew over to another island that had another airport

Gonna be fun getting killed down there in that terrain

Flew to yet another airport

Any-who - Tanoa is looking good. Would like to explore more of the vehicles and terrain
but I gotta get back to “work” on some other stuff

BeachAV8R

2 Likes

Fixed wing air in Arma3 is 
 terrible. I stay far away from it :slight_smile:

I tried putting one of those on an airfield and could not even get it to move.

1 Like

Throttle mapping is pretty awful in ARMA. I’ve never found the right way to have it without it basically being either 100% or 0. Helicopters are better but still needs work to how they do axis mapping.

Figured it out. It was, indeed a binding mishap.

You are by no means wrong, but I’d argue that the arma flight model is sufficient for what it’s purpose is. Arma is and always has been an Infantry simulator. Fixed wing aircraft are only included because in real life being able to telephone the sky god and make things explode is an important facet of modern warfare. As long as the aircraft can take off and deliver ordinance relatively accurately, they’re fulfilling their purpose, much like Steel Beasts’ simulation of rotary winged aircraft.

I’d love some better flight dynamics, but there are many things that are much more relevant to the core gameplay that could be fixed first. Years of hearing people complain that Arma doesn’t have a DCS level AFM and ASM for fixed wing has left me
 flummoxed.

Well, to be fair
I’m not asking for a DCS level flight model. I’m just asking for planes to turn when they are banked. I don’t really think that’d be a huge stretch for BIS since they’ve managed to tackle and pretty much provide for a fairly realistic helicopter FM. I can deal with the bad drag model and overpowered engines
but the basics of turning the airplane would be nice to see improved. It would benefit all air platforms that rely on it too
from attack to UAVs.

Any improvement is always good. I’m just stuck in the opinion fixed wing improvements are tangental to the quality of the core gameplay in a way that ground vehicles, weapons, and helicopters are not. I wouldn’t complain if BI improved it, but I, at least personally, file it firmly under nice to have, rather than need to have. Then again in the 3.5 thousand hours I’ve spent playing Arma 3, I could probably count the minutes I’ve spent in a jet on both hands.

Also I was planning to post something like this earlier before the GAO decided to take a bureaucratic sledgehammer to my afternoon. Luckily someone else got around to it.

http://imgur.com/a/ARx8b

Yeah
I’ve never been a fan of the more odd fixed wing offerings that the user community has come up with (fast jets). Different strokes and all
but the terrain areas are so limited I’ve never understood flying an Su-33 over Arma terrains. Helicopters are much more appropriate, and I’m glad they spent a good bit of resources on that.

This is the reason I tend not to complain (too much) about the Arma3 Flight model. It does serve it’s purpose, that is true but because the fixed wing model is so 
 weird 
 I don’t get any pleasure in taking part in that aspect. Other aspects, yes. Oh heck yes. The infactry gameplay is quite something.

This too. Although, to confess, I still have the helicopter model set to the easier mode. Whenever I am in the mood to learn rotary wing flight dynamics, I tend to take to DCS. Flying around like a crazy person in Arma3 is fun though. :slight_smile:

Arma has always been an infantry game first. One of the biggest issues I have with aircraft is the maps are not big enough to have meaningful fast-mover ops as opposed to something like DCS.

Watched trailer, have bought.

So, X’ian is the new love of my life. It’s a nifty gunship and transport.

We got our orders to take a utility vehicle back th the main airport from this little village. They figure the local idiots–I mean militia are more than enough to hold this island.

My SIC was being a nerd about hurrying too fast to get airborne, so I told him to get mounted up and square away his own cockpit while I preflighted.

After some passive-aggression, he relented and let me to start the pre-flight check.

Checking the lift fans in the wing and making sure the munitions are nice and secure. I’m sure that the Tanoan people would find the Santa Claus myth terrifying if an ATGM were to fall off and through the roof. I think the kids would love that, though. I always liked blowing things up with firecrackers as a kid and what is an ATGM but an enormous M80?

The rear nozzles. While the lift fans create vertical lift and only minor amounts of thrust in forward flight to control yaw, the thrust nuzzles behave like the F-35B’s exhaust.

Alright, time to start flipping switches and turning turbines!

This little pissant airport isn’t long enough to reach rotational speed, so we’re jumping. Up we go, at full throttle. Even with a truck in the back, she flies quite spritely.

With gears up and trimmed out, we pick up our heading for the main airport. This is all flight by visual rules, so that means we can have a little fun once we’re out of sight from the FOB.

So, beachfront properties are worth a lot. I think they can deal with a little noise! You all probably made your money off the back of laborers, anyways.

Okay, we’re approaching the main airport. A flight over the bridge provides a nice view for my SIC and myself. Tanoa is a pretty scenic place. But, it’s a backwater. I doubt NATO will come stomping around here. Nope. Not at all. They never, ever, ever will.

And, there’s the airport. There’s two wings operating out of here. I’m gonna set this little puppy down in that line, right at the end.

With a firm stick back and simple stroke of a throttle button, the transition to vertical flight begins.

It’s pretty stable in the vertical flight regimen, owing to those nice lift fans!

And a touchdown. Thanks for the lack of help, marshal.

Now, then. Let’s get that truck un-
 Oooooooooooohh

I think my SIC was trying to tell me to not forget the cargo. Whoops.

2 Likes

Dammit guys. As if I haven’t spent enough on my hobbies this month already

(Buying)

1 Like

Mig can you explain this part in greater detail, and how you make it happen:

“With a firm stick back and simple stroke of a throttle button, the transition to vertical flight begins.”

When I am in either VTOL aircraft I start the engine, put the aircraft in Auto hover and take off and fly around in vertical flight. I can hover, land, hover again. I can then pick up speed, turn the auto hover off, and the aircraft transitions to level flight and I can fly around. But I can never get the aircraft to transition back to hover mode. I put it back into auto hover, it shows in the scroll menu that is in auto hover, but the nozzles never rotate down and never well
hovers!

I have been trying to use flaps for this process but I am not sure what I am doing wrong

Thanks in advance.

Never mind - figured it out with Fridge and Near_Blinds help.

The flaps controls control the flaps (heh) in non-auto hover mode, and they control the rotors/nozzles in auto hover mode.

So in the Future-Osprey you can lower the wing flaps to reduce speed, press the auto hover, and the adjust the rotors using the same flaps control to reach hover flight. More control than the Arma 2 days when auto hover just slammed the Ospeys rotors straight up at any speed!

Yup, some things have changed, and for the better. A little how to would’ve been nice, but it was easy enough to pick up on.

Sweet pics! I haven’t explored that one yet
can’t wait!

Will that new stuff also be usable on the existing map?