Artemis Moon Mission

Engineering team just suggested a No go to the launch director, Who is currently mulling it over…

UPDATE: Launch Director has decided to hold as of right now, while the team mulls over ideas, Launch window still looks good.

SCRUBBED.

Not sure when the next window is.

Oh dear. A scrub today would probably mean the whole failstack is going to have to be checked for fatigue cracks from being trucked to and fro so many times lol. No rocket has remained stacked so long without actually flying &-)

1 Like

Was this Artemis mission going to be manned or unmanned?

Wheels

1 Like

Unmanned around the moon and back.

1 Like

I hope the thing flies tonight. It may be twenty years obsolete but it’s still hella awesome.

2 Likes

Did not get a warm fuzzy from the press brief.

A push back would resault in a mid October launch.

I believe that the next available slot is going to be in mid October (if it gets rolled back to the bay for examination). If it leaves the pad, no earlier time than this.

Yep, I believe space x has a early October launch scheduled allready.

Pressing briefing from NASA puts launch at end of September at the earliest. But a rollback puts it at the end of October.

They are saying that its to early to tell for sure which window they can make, but the one thing that is for sure is nothing is going in this launch window. It will be late next week before they have a plan of action to go with.

I haven’t been following this one closely, which is probably the best way to avoid feeling too disappointed with the delays.

I just checked the planned mission trajectory - it’s quite a fun one!

1 Like

Yeah the mission does indeed look fun!

And I think when you look at the Artemis program and realise they are basiclly using all the parts they have on hand from every program NASA ever did, you can understand why a failure that results in a destroyed rocket would be detrimental.

3 Likes

The last failure was curious though. I mean they have been fueling large orange tanks with liquid hydrogen for over 40 years now. It shouldn’t exactly be rocket science anymore (though it technically still is).

3 Likes

During the news conference it was said at one point they over pressurized to 60psi instead of 20psi. Not being part of the program, I can only speculate that had something to do with it.

1 Like

I’m half surprised that Elon hasn’t sent Starship around the Moon already…

If i was a betting man i would say he is holding off to let NASA do it first. Hell it might even be in the contract he signed with them for the Dragon crew.

The thing is: SpaceX might take longer to do it the first time, but once they have done it once it won’t take long until they have done it 50 times, for 2% of the price, and then everyone will remember that SLS has a very limited supply of parts.

If only the head honcho of spaceX weren’t such a weirdo…

3 Likes

True, but then if he wasn’t a bit different from the rest of us, I kind of doubt we would have SpaceX or Tesla. He shakes things up because he throws convention out the window.

3 Likes

True, and he may be weird all he wants, but some of the labour politics he’s been implementing makes my hair stand on end. But that’s politics and has no place on this forum so I’ll stfu about that.

5 Likes