AV8R learning the AV-8B

Training Mission 05 takes us through both a Short Take-Off and several Short Landing configurations including Fixed Nozzle Slow Landings with both STOL and AUTO flap settings.

As usual, there is a nice intro as you orbit out at WP1 giving you the scoop on what you are about to do. It is a lot of information, with highlights around the cockpit to let you know where you will be making configuration changes. This is just a preliminary briefing though, and the instructor uses a shorter series of instructions as you actually fly the patterns.

The left DDI showing the moving map, with the orbit waypoint #1 selected while we receive the brief. Though it hasn’t been included in the training yet, I did flip the autopilot master switch and ALT hold on to allow for a hands off orbit while I looked around the cockpit, followed the briefing, and read the kneeboard instructions…

After the brief, time to head across the airfield at 800’ and 350 knots for the usual break…

On the downwind - gear down, VSTOL mode selected, radar altimeter, nozzles out to 60…

Shallower turns on the base turn and final turn legs…with a much slower groundspeed your turn radius is much smaller, so best to widen out, stay stable, and try to roll out on final…

Always feels weird to try to hit that 2-degree Witch’s hat pitch attitude, it feels like I should be falling out of the sky, but “trust in thrust” and you can move that velocity vector wherever you want…

After the first landing, it is time to do the AUTO flap landing, which feels pretty similar although perhaps a bit faster on the approach speed…

Fun stuff. Can’t wait to try vertical landings to the ship!

14 Likes