@beachav8r’s Next next Ride Perhaps?

4 Likes

But do you pull for power?

6 Likes

Wow, that’s been in development for over 20 years… I remember flying a version of it in Flightsimulator 2000!

2 Likes

Wasn’t it…when it was still with Bell…wasn’t it the test bed for the Osprey?

1 Like

Those things look like death on a stick.

2 Likes

It does feel like there’s inevitably flight situations with no safe outcomes.

Loss of power in one engine when low and slow/vertical seems like a very bad place to be - the asymmetric thrust moment arm would be huge with the engines right at the wingtips and I don’t know how/if autorotation is an option?

Even if you’re taking off airplane-style it seems like the worst twin engine to lose an engine in - you’d be yawing like crazy before you know it.

Is there a gearbox to transfer power from one side to the other?

I know helicopters have failures with no safe way out (like that UK one with the tail rotor gearbox failure in vertical climb from the football stadium) but it seems the Osprey-style craft have a lot more reliance on everything just working as intended.

I’d love to hear someone’s more educated thoughts as I’m kind of baffled as to how it can be sufficiently safe. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes.
There’s a transmission interconnect shaft transfering power from one side, to the other.
Much the same way as the Chinook or Vertol helicopters secure power fore and aft, in the case of a power loss.

2 Likes

Is I understand it, there are never asymmetric scenarios in the Osprey. Gearbox failures? Well that is certainly possible and probably fatal.

…probably not the logo you would want on an air ambulance :open_mouth:

4 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Bringing-Out-Dead-Nicolas-Cage/dp/B07MYBSQ3Z/ref=sr_1_1?crid=36ZPX9I55VA16&keywords=bringing+out+the+dead&qid=1579101532&sprefix=bringing+out+the+dead%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-1

1 Like