Belgian F-16 Incident May Be Caused by Accidental Firing From Jet - Reports

Someone is getting fired…no pun inten…never mind

2 Likes

Not the first time that happens… Although I have never heard of such damage as a result.
We don’t know any reckless actions are behind this incident. For all we know it may be a technical malfunction, or a series of events not previously encountered.
In aviation, all sorts of things can, and will, happen. :slight_smile:
There will be an investigation that will get to the bottom of this. I’d be surprised if the result is a finger pointing at a single maintainer… They are usually pretty smart guys and know what they are doing.

1 Like

Hey…a kill is a kill…paint a little F-16 silhouette on the offending aircraft :wink:

5 Likes

4 more and an ace will be made lol

4 Likes

You know they will! :wink:

Scramble Magazine has some pictures
(Its a facebook link so it didn’t embed well)

Well, I guess that means the M61 now has a higher kill ratio than AIM-9X.

1 Like

To close for missiles so he switched to guns :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Well, you know he hit the brakes real hard and flew by real fast just by looking at the skidmark in the seat!

2 Likes

I thought jets had a “weight on wheels” safety feature that prevented firing weapons while they are on the ground. Did I miss something?

–T

I thoughy that as well at first however everything can be disabled for maintenance and testing I would assume. They must have to zero the sights and test the function at some point so makes sense but I’m sure someone with actual knowledge can correct me

Most do but I’d imagine a lot are like the AH-64 where there’s a switch in the cockpit that can be used to override it.

3 Likes

Yep, in the MH60 it’s just a cicuitbreaker to disable the wow switch, and then interesting things can happen. Like turning on backup hydraulics, the instant electric power is turned on for example. That will kind of ruin an otherwise good day, if the hyd lines have been taken apart somewhere.

2 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Really liked that movie when it came out. :sunglasses:
“You’re fired”

Wheels