Best throttle

Who else needs a ciggy and a cold shower after that? Good times are here !!! That was the best Flight sim peripheral advert i have ever seen.
While the Hornet throttle is close… Ill just justify my purchase by knowing that ill spend lots of time flying the Strike Eagle. But its not available…Yet!

2 Likes

One of the best features of the Virpil CM3 is the Mode switch.

I don’t use it for modes, preferring to use the stick pinky lever as a shift switch to get two functions from each switch or axis. But the Mode switch is great for something like the fuel selector in the Mustang, which requires switching tanks after takeoff, when the fuse tank gets to 25 gallons, when jettisoning wing tanks, and then every 10 minutes in between. That mode switch matches up with all of the tanks and makes it a breeze. Also works well for the comms selector in the Huey, jettison selectors in numerous aircraft, and weapons selectors, to name a few.

It looks like the Orion 2 has a similar dial at the top, but I believe that’s it’s only 3 positions and a press?

3 Likes

Sigh…the wife is going to be mad at me again…

4 Likes

I was originally planning to use it like that… then never pushed on and somehow accepted the default setup in the VPC config software. I should have realized that it is of course an option in the VPC configurator software and put in a bit more effort. I was thinking of the radar mode button in the A-4 but yeah weapons selector is probably better

2 Likes

I use mine as a regular rotary switch as well.
My brain is too small to keep track of different modes… :wink:

2 Likes

If you don’t configure it, you will have a knob that behaves like a 5 position rotary. You can assign each position in DCS to a command. It’s a little fiddley in that it sometimes doesn’t assign the position you switched to, but I find that if you start at an adjacent position, then turn the rotary while DCS is waiting for a button press, you will eventually match them up like you desire. The P-51D fuel selector is a thing of beauty this way, although it’s upside down from the actual cockpit.

2 Likes

I like that they appear to be offering a more “sim correct” version, but that one with the Hornet style radar elevation rocker looks really good to me - as someone who is too lazy to change the hardware over but likes flying two or three different jets in a session

2 Likes

I like my x56. But the 15E is an awesome jet and that winwing E model throttle looks amazing.

I suppose it pairs well with the 18 stick.

1 Like

I may just have to have a WinWing throttle. I love the idea of different handles, even though I doubt I will be swapping much.

3 Likes

you will surely find a clever way of doing it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If it is quick and simple to swap out both physically and with regard to bindings, then it probably won’t be too much of a chore. It’s a bit different, but I have several handle sets for my Honeycomb Bravo throttle. They are very simple handles though.

2 Likes

I have the F-16EX throttle paired with my TM Warthog but I’ve been eyeing the new WW F-15EX. I realize I will most likely get the grip and base because the F-16 gate assembly is a PITA to line up correctly. Swapping grips is not bad at all but the F-16 grip without the gates is simply not the same.

4 Likes

:eyes: :eyes:

4 Likes

The design of the switch panel is brilliant.

Why did we have to wait for so long to get a throttle base with a decent landing gear handle?!

Competition is good :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Because WinWing came out the corner swinging and TM now has a bloody nose.
Too little too late TM, Unless you follow up w more designs… Then, and only then can TM hope to regain their customer base.

2 Likes

I am still rocking a Thrustmaster T.16000M and TWCS. Recently acquired some Logitech pedals, but that’s about all I am able to afford at the moment. Technically I am below the poverty line.
Have been really salivating over some WinWing stuff, but atm I am just slowly, really slowly, saving up for a 3D printer so I at least can tinker with stuff first. Already replaced the slider in my TWCS and “disabled” the twist of my joystick with some steel wire, but being able to actually print my own ideas instead of paying a premium(and waiting) by ordering them would be really nice.

4 Likes

Eh, TM has a massive market presence outside of the hardcore flight sim market. People upgrading to fly MSFS on their XBox aren’t getting Virpril or WinWing stuff. They also are a major player in the hobbyist/enthusiast sim racing market. I would guess TM will be just fine not catering to the ultrahigh end combat flight simmer crowd.

2 Likes

Im sorry @jenrick , you are completely right. I have a Thrustmaster base and F1 wheel. I only fly w Thrustmaster sticks. I have 3 A-10 HOTAS from them. I also use the “F-18” Stick. In quotes because its a F/A-18/AV-8/F-15C/F-15E/A-4, slash, im sure it does other birds. That said, i use a Virpil base. Why?!? Because the plastic TM base and the spring leave a lot to be desired. I love the hardware… Joysticks. For the A-10, there is no better throttle. But i think its time they open up. They really need to catch up on manufacturing and “feeling” the market. I think we can all agree on that. Had Virpil and WinWing never surfaced, TM would still be king. But its 2023…

4 Likes