Black Friday hardware 2018....

Also keep in mind the Frog pays me by the letter for sketchy advice to give the forum some edginess.

3 Likes

So using CPU-Z to stress the CPU…it looks like I’m topping out around 60-70C

1 Like

With a stock cooler there probably won’t be a lot of headroom, plus airflow in the case etc. Might be ok at 4.1 though. It would shut itself down at 98C anyway - plus you can make bacon. :bacon:

2 Likes

Sounds good. I’ll give it a whirl tomorrow if I’m not called out… Family is off on a mini-vacation while I stay home and work. I wonder what state I’ll find turkey in tomorrow… :thinking: The best ever was an Iron Skillet at a truck stop in Pennsylvania one year. They had an awesome buffet set up. The worst was White Castle burgers at Teterboro. I got sick on the flight home.

Will I get paged tomorrow Discobot?

@discobot fortune

1 Like

:crystal_ball: As I see it, yes

So iron my shirt? Got it.

1 Like

A good value and relatively simple way to get good temps is just a cheap self-contained cooler, like a H60 or something. Might even be one on sale as well, and you could get that puppy humming. For the benefit you might get it’s ok value.

1 Like

I have an older H50 and its great. I will never bolt a fan onto a CPU again.

2 Likes

Are you surprised? :nauseated_face: You had me feeling queezy just at the mention of White Castles. :wink:

No traditional Thanksgiving for me this year. I’m working too!

Back on topic, I’m in two minds right now about upgrading my system. I bought my ASUS G20 system back in 2016 in a bundle deal with my Rift. It has been pretty good with no major issues. The only downsides of such a compact case are poor cooling and limited upgrade options. My next system is definitely going to have a bigger case with some kind of active cooling.

I guess I could cannibalize my current system, re-using the GTX 1080 and drives, but with a new case, CPU and extra RAM. I’m not sure if it is worth the effort though. A whole new system might be the better option.

1 Like

Oh Disco…you nailed it!

2 Likes

What do you guys think of this system for the price?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230375&ignorebbr=1

1 Like

you can compare it with this one, I found it recomended on helisimer page. like similar setup, diferent price

1 Like

That looks good value at $2,300 Paul.

If I picked out individual parts, just choosing cheaper stuff, it would be comparable to self-build I think?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($549.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H80i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - TridentZ RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($264.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.50 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($789.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair - 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Raidmax - Vampire 800 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Redragon - K552 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Corsair - Harpoon RGB Wired Optical Mouse ($28.31 @ Amazon)

Total: $2377.51

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-23 15:48 EST-0500

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KD679J

1 Like

Thanks very much guys. I really wasn’t looking to upgrade just yet, but that system caught my eye. I’ll give it some serious thought.

1 Like

As a power engineer, this infuriates me. Like, I’m really, really angry reading this.

3 Likes

A cautionary tale from Gamers Nexus on buying PC’s from Walmart

2 Likes

Cool video…good production value. And that guy is spot on…if I had ordered something like that, I wouldn’t have cracked it open. But I probably would have done some sort of Windows diagnostic to ID what parts were in it. I’d be pretty steamed if I got 16 instead of 32 and the wrong GPU.

3 Likes

Unfortunately pulling the wrong item from inventory and shipping it is not that uncommon so knowing what you are buying so you can confirm what you received is what you bought is always paramount. Plus even if the grandparents don’t know what they bought the kid they gave it too will probably be able to tell them, once they are past the age of four. :joy:

Wheels

1 Like

I’m not paying $3,500 for a computer…but that is a sick case:

1 Like

It looks nice, but lacks the essential Mineral Oil cooling mod:

1 Like