Boeing ULA / Starliner mission anomaly

Pretty big deal I guess. Something went wrong with the orbital insertion burn or something, making the vehicle unable to reach the ISS…

Yes. As I understand it, a clock was mis-aligned and the TDRS satellites were out of position to provide a course correction. That caused to spacecraft to go into a non-optimal orientation - which caused the engines firing to put it in the incorrect orbit. The booster itself worked nominally - this was one of the last steps in the process.

Burn of the year on Reddit:

Question: Have any amateurs gotten some orbital elements from telescope observers?

Answer: Ask Boeing.

Ouch.

4 Likes

Let me guess, they used Imperial seconds instead of Metric ones?

8 Likes

Lol Starglider!!

Not a confirmed source but:

“Planning to safely land at White Sands (their overall intended landing zone) Sunday. Planning to do some orbital tests while up there. Not going to ISS but making the most of getting to space.”

1 Like

Waiting for Musk to Tweet they can send up a Tesla to tow the capsule home…

8 Likes

Please let him do this. PLEASE

2 Likes

Just showed my little boy the launch and he said “the other one was better”

He means falcon heavy bless him

6 Likes

“It appears as though the mission elapse timing system had an error in it,” Bridenstine said.

Someone in launch control didn’t have their computer set right…

2 Likes

Jeez…on Bridenstine’s Twitter comments:

burn1

7 Likes

I mean, let’s face it…the Space X launches are full of excitement, young people, cheering, and I like to think people doing shots at the end of it all. Of course it’s better! Boeing needs to up their game and make a Kardashian the Flight Director…

shudder1

4 Likes

“Non-nominal orbit, whatevaaaar…”

4 Likes

Some cool video of the launch as seen from Raleigh,NC.

6 Likes

Cool video piper. :sunglasses:

Wheels

1 Like