Building half a PC in 2023

When I got my i7-12700K I also thought about the DDR4 vs 5 thing but went with 4 because at that time the price differential was quite large. I also went with 32GB and I think even 16GB of 5 would’ve cost more.
In retrospect DCS is making me wish I had 64 even though no other program comes close to maxing out 32. But to spend on another 32 of 4 now when my next build will be 5? Eh…

Since my CPU is pretty good I’m considering instead a lateral move and buying a new DDR5 mobo and 64GB of that and sliding everything over. I need to price what that would cost and maybe around November see where it sits.

2 Likes

No worries, I love to evaluate options! :smiley:

Just figured out why I’m not seeing any buzz about the Ryzen 5 7500F. Looks like it will not be available as a “processor in box” to consumers outside China and Taiwan, but only fkr a few big manufacturers of prebuilt systems.

And if buying a new case, don’t forget to allow room for BHPS (big-honk’n power supply)

Is why I went with the obsolescent and therefore rather cheap yet very mature am4 platform and a 5800x3d. It also allowed me to carry my ram forward one more cycle.

3 Likes

It definitely used to be until very recently.

If @komemiute has a reasonable >= 32GB >= 3000 MHz, <= 18 CL RAM kit, then maybe it’s still a reasonable option, with a cost difference of ~ €110

Otherwise paying only €60 more for similar CPU gaming performance, a better motherboard with more and faster M2 slots, more fast USB ports, all on top of the ability to upgrade to much better CPUs later is well worth it IMO.

I am basing the prices on Tweakers.net, a Dutch platform that has price, stats and benchmark compare for NL. German prices tend to be very similar.

These are the kits I’m looking at (“Zen 3 3D” and “Zen 4” lists)

https://tweakers.net/gallery/635184/wenslijst/

2 Likes

For price comparisons in Germany you can use geizhals.de @komemiute

3 Likes

Thanks guys, being stuck in transit to Germany. Will report tomorrow. Need to rest.

1 Like

Question, my actual 3070ti is quite large and I’d like one of those Large Tower PC Case I see around… can anyone give me what to look for?

Like apparently EATX is a good “keyword” for it.
Or I am being too worried?

Or in other words - any first-hand suggestions for a big case?
No need for stylish stuff like LED stripes or whatever.
For me function rates higher above beauty.

1 Like

I think full tower and midi tower are also good keywords

2 Likes

It might be a local thing combined with my chauvinism for certain brands, but normally I see “supports GPUs of up to such and such cm length” in the specs these days?

2 Likes

Oh I like that- don’t worry about brands chauvinism, feel free to give straight out suggestions

1 Like

This is the case I have, I also have a 3070TI

Picture of my 3070TI in the case.

3 Likes

I have a Be Quiet Dark Base 802. It’s quiet, it is large and it has all of the airflow. It is perfect.

3 Likes

There’s a few decent brands that are well known for their build quality and comfort features. The ones I have good experiences with are:

beQuiet - I provided some guidance for my brothers PC build in a SilentBase 500 and was really impressed
Fractal Design - my Meshify C was a joy to build in and has a nice modest look to it, despite the glass side panel

Others that I have heard good things about:

NZXT
Corsair these days (my 2016 Obsidian case wasn’t great, but the 4000D seems to be much much better)
Lian Li

and I’m probably forgetting a few here.

Things to look out for:

Listed max GPU length
Listed max CPU cooler height
Front-panel connectors:

• USB (type A or C, what bandwidth, and then check if your motherboard has the required internal headers)
  • do you want your audio in/out split or combined?
  • PSU size

I like my Meshify C but it’s a little tight in terms of GPU length: the best cooled RX 7900 XT only barely fit in there.

Have a look at local discounts and get whatever good case is discounted now. For example, I saw that the Fractal Design North case is heavily discounted in NL now.

Finally, experiments have shown that for the same load temperatures, airflow cases are quieter than so called “silent” cases so get a case with lots of mesh and filter, and just turn down your fan curves (set them based on PCIEX16 temperature instead of CPU) if you want it silent.

3 Likes

Yes! Brilliant! Many thanks!

1 Like

be quiet! Silent Base 802 White

And very happy. Opens up very conveniently.

3 Likes

Top Gun GIF by MANGOTEETH

4 Likes

Like others have said, the newer Corsair cases (4000d, 5000d) seem very nicely built, but might be horribly overpriced where you are (they are here) and support GPUs up to only 360mm. You need to get the “airflow” version of the 4000d, though I’ve heard the 5000d is less restrictive in terms of airflow. 5000d can take a 420mm long GPU (according to specs). If you use the front IO for more than just the occasional flash drive, these don’t have much of it and you might need a breakout cable for the audio connector. Finally, depending on the version you get, you might have to shell out for more fans to make the most of the cooling these cases can give you.

The Coolermaster cases these days aren’t what they used to be IMO, I’d recommend you avoid the smaller Masterbox cases like the Q500L - they’re good looking but the window is perspex and the airflow really isn’t good with the PSU mounted at the front. Which also stops you mounting a long graphics card. The larger ones like the K501 and K520 have 420mm GPU support and a more “normal” layout, but don’t seem as well made to me (I haven’t built anything using these cases though).

Fractal list supported GPU lengths on their product page: Here. Highly recommended if you can get a good price, but you might need another fan depending on your build. I like the Meshify and North cases aesthetically, but for cooling probably stick to one of the Meshify variations.

Finally, my personal favorite is the Lian Li Lancool 215, which I think is now completely sold out and not made any more. 360mm long GPU support. There is a more modern “216” version which allegedly supports GPUs up to 390mm long. I haven’t used the 216, but it looks like a simple update to the 215 (what could possibly go wrong :expressionless:).

Edit: my most recent builds have been in Azza cases - very competitively priced but it shows when you’re building - the metal is thin, you’re on your own for cable management and for one of them I had to assemble the front panel properly because they basically just put the parts in the box without actually putting it together first! But the window is tempered glass, they come with a full complement of fans and once put together they seem solid. I didn’t think of them at first because the ones I’ve used only support GPUs up to 300mm. But once they’re together they look very nice and I think they’re good value provided you’re willing to do a bit of extra work during the build phase. Probably not what you’re looking for though?

Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope some of it helps!

3 Likes

Oh hey thanks a lot for the honest and comprehensive write up! :smiley:

Good news is I found them here in Germany!
And I must say- it’s very discounted and looks exactly the part!
Stunning… I think I found my new case. :star_struck:

Thanks to @Freak and @weaponz248 and you all though! :+1:

5 Likes