Building half a PC in 2023

I finally got a little extra to spend for improving my PC.

The parts I will keep are my HDDs/SSDs, Power Supply Unit, and GPU 3070ti.

My mental process would be- pick a new CPU, select a MoBo that allows it to express as close as possible to 100% and then look for appropriate memory.

1. CPU Selected - AMD Ryzen 5 7600

2. Unto the Motherboard… AM 5, DDR5, and possibly very large as my Noctua heatsink is huge.

2 Likes

Definitely a 5800x3d

1 Like

Yeah the price is really mouthwatering… I just wonder how long I should wait to see if prices drop a little more?

Do It Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

1 Like

At this point I’m not sure 5800X3D is worth it if you don’t already have a B550 MoBo and DDR4 RAM.

Otherwise a B650 MoBo with DDR5 RAM and a Ryzen 5 7600 should get you similar performance, more features supported and a way better upgrade path. Price difference is not that big anymore

1 Like

Wait wait wait, you raise an extremely valid point. The alternative you proposed me would actually cost me much less.
You say it’s more future proof?

EDIT: The benchmarks are … interesting!

1 Like

Don’t trust userbenchmark, the things they choose to meaure have historically been terribly cherrypicked to make AMD look bad

Yeah but in AMD vs AMD shouldn’t matter?

Just use any other source really

1 Like

Definitely, the AM4 platform is basically at its end of life. If you do already have a supported AM4 board the 5800x3D is amazing, if not AM 5 is definitely a better choice. I am also looking at an AM 5 upgrade. Keep my RTX3080TI and some SSDs, get a new board, CPU (probably the 7800X3D) and a new case.

2 Likes

Anyways this still confirms what above…
I’m impressed

1 Like

Oh yeah I also notice the AM5 is a newer tech with lower power consumption.
NICE!

1 Like

Sorry for brevoty, bit busy now but yeah since release the Ryzen 7000 platform with B650 MoBo and DDR5 RAM has gotten a LOT cheaper and is actually great value now, especially with the Ryzen 5 7600 CPU. You might even want to wait for the coming Ryzen 5 7500F, which will be very similar in performance and even cheaper (no iGPU, less power draw and slightly lower clocks).

1 Like

Absolutely no worries/ no rush man.
This build will take some time anyways, not buying the stuff now.

Probably next week. LOL
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

~~Brand new Ryzen 5 7500F is ±18% cheaper, more energy efficient and only 3% slower. You don’t need an iGPU in a gaming pc anyways.

This would be my top pick if prices in EU turn out similarly. Either this or an 7000 X3D processor, the steps in between don’t really make sense to me.~~

EDIT: This is all irrelevant, Ryzen 5 7500F will not be available for purchase as a separate CPU for consumers outside China and Taiwan, only for a few big manufacturers of prebuilt systems

1 Like

I’m just concerned when it comes to heavyweight titles like DCS and VR in general…

That’s exactly why you need that X3D cache.

Whatever you do, make sure your CPU cache is huge.

Since the 5800X3D came out we learned how much of a difference it makes with complex games that can’t only focus on performance over everything else.

1 Like

3% is not going to be noticeable. It’s literally just a few percent slower, no matter what you throw at it, as clock speeds are the only thing that’s changed, (and the iGPU that you won’t use). Number of cores and cache etc is all EXACTLY the same. If you want more power than the 7500F, get a 7800X3D. The 7600 won’t be a noticeable difference, except in cost (now) and energy usage (future cost).

You can always upgrade to a 8000-something X3D later too, or a 7800X3D if it gets cheaper when 8000 series drops.

EDIT: This is all irrelevant, Ryzen 5 7500F will not be available for purchase as a separate CPU for consumers, only for a few big manufacturers of prebuilt systems.

1 Like

I agree with not going AM4 at this point. AMD is notorious for keeping their sockets for a long time, you’d eliminate the chance for future updates with getting a 5800x3d.

1 Like

Then again saving money now and re-evaluating a 100% new parts system in 2 to 4 years is a valid option, too! Just put the savings into a box for later.

You only need enough, not too much at this point. I guess a 5800x3d is a nice match to a 3070ti.

Yeah I’m not making this any more easy, am I.

2 Likes