BVR Combat Maneuvering Examples - www.masterarms.se

Put here as a sort of bookmark, as I can never find these things again. All sourced from the site https://www.masterarms.se so don’t complain at me.

Crank

A defensive/offensive maneuver that defeats enemy missiles but allows you to maintain radar contact with bandit.

Beam

A defensive maneuver to defeat enemy missiles.

Notch

A defensive maneuver intended to cause enemy radar to lose lock by zeroing out the doppler shift of your echo.

Skate

Early launch, crank, going cold, recommiting, second launch, crank, going cold outside of MAR (Minimum Abort Range - the distance you can run away from an opponents missile) and disengaging. Notice the cranking approach to deny the enemy a chance to hit with a long shot.

Short Skate

Launch-and-leave before entering MAR. Notice the cranking approach to deny the enemy a chance to hit with a long shot.

Banzai

Launch-and-decide tactic. A launch outside of MAR, followed by a crank, then going to the merge due to enemy still flying. Notice the cranking approach to deny the enemy a chance to hit with a long shot.

14 Likes

Interesting.
Seems like the thing I love to do is called “Skate”.

1 Like

Good stuff.

1 Like

Some new 2v2 scenarios. Again, can’t vouch for how accurate or useful these examples are, but very interesting to view.

Pincer

Offensive double-attack BVR maneuver.

Defensive Split

Splitting up, making the group a harder target to follow and, turning into a pincer.

High/Low

Offensive 2-ship maneuver - one fighter going high, one low - making the group a harder target to track and launch at.

Loose Deuce Orbit

A very loose form of 2-ship BVR maneuvering - the section rotates offset so as to keep radar and weapons pointed in the threat direction at all times. Friendly fighters are separated into altitude segments for collision avoidance and are free to maneuver in that altitude segment, and can therefore be safely heads-down.

5 Likes