By the G pulling balls of Olds, why no F-4 in DCS?

What about the USAF’s Wild Weasel version? We coulda really used one of those last night.

2 Likes

I hope with in my life span. :kissing_heart:

Just as an example, the “Agile Eagle” program which introduced the automatic leading edge slats on the Phantom’s wings alone would probably be several months of research and trying for realistic implementation.

EDIT: A quick google search actually has left one thing ambiguous: Were the leading edge slats automatic? All I’m finding are references to them being installed, nothing about operation.

EDIT 2: Wait, found it:

“In response to the maneuverability problems, a program named “Agile Eagle” was initiated, in which the Phantom was fitted with various experimental aerodynamic modifications. The solution in the end was to fit the wing with leading-edge slats, which extended automatically when the aircraft’s AOA exceeded six degrees, and retracted when the AOA went back to four degrees. Installation of the slats required removal of the BLC system.”

Not a likely scenario:
“You have reached the Boeing hotline, how we may assist?”
“Hi, I’d just like all the tabulated aerodynamic data from the F-4 Phantom that you carefully archived following your merger with McDonnell Douglas.”
“Excellent, which model were you interested in?”
“Uhh… hey, how about all of them?”
“Wonderful. Will that be a .zip, .tar, or .rar?”

1 Like

I catch your drift near_blind, and can’t disagree. And given the years that it took development to get to where we are now, it makes sense that they pick the definitive model and give us their best work. Hence the Mig-21bis, or the H model Huey.

Going back to the A-6 and the Intruders follow up book by Stephen Coonts, I’ll have to go back and read it again, have a paperback copy here somewhere, honestly can not remember the ending but do know it was not quite as good as the first book.

Lots of real A-6 detail though and I like that stuff, there was one part in the book I do remember about how the radar slid out because it was not checked and Grafton beat himself up about that because it killed the operator beside him, Coonts was of course a real A-6 flier so we know the detail would be accurate at least.

Hey, HoggitDev coordinator here.

“if hoggit can do it, why can’t we?”.

If you are planning to make this a paid module then expect to have some issues, since we are making a free mod it won’t be a problem, however if paid then expect to pay lots of money for the license, not to mention the trade mark for A-4 Skyhawk.

Good luck though.

3 Likes

@LevelPulse, I was totally meaning it as a tongue-in-cheek comment there, poking fun at some folks on another forum (not Hoggit or here) who seem to think that it can’t possibly be that hard to make a module for DCS. :innocent:

However, I think I can safely say that all of us over here are pulling for you guys, and I for one am even more stoked after reading your latest update yesterday! I wish I had even a little bit of coding skill to be able to help y’all out, but it looks like you have a great team in place already.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I can speak for everyone here when I say we’re rooting for the community Skyhawk project to succeed.

I think I’m equally justified in saying we’re still waiting for @LevelPulse to eat that sock. :smile:

Welcome LevelPulse - we’ll be following the progress of the Reddit group with anticipation. As Nuke mentioned…we are just having a bit of fun talking about the A-6 and having a laugh at how we can just keep adding features to our module. The only A-6 this crew will ever build is a Revel version…and that one might end up half built before we just decide to light it on fire and throw it out the penthouse window of the Mudspike Tower.

Good luck - keep us updated!

BeachAV8R

2 Likes

I can make an A-6 in DCS. It just wouldn’t have such fringe features as:

• Multicrew
  • Carrier Ops
  • Advanced Flight Model
  • Advanced Systems Model
  • Any Systems Modelling
  • Accurate Physical Model
  • Proper Cockpit
  • Proper Weapons

In fact, it would probably be an Su-27 that said “A-6” in the mission editor.
But it would be ours, damn it

2 Likes

An Su-25T with an A-6-ish looking livery - is (in my mind) an A-6…

I believe Tom Weiss has you covered on that front.

www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/888-su-25t-a-6-skin-pack

1 Like

What does the skin look like? The image preview was broke for me…

ERRRRRR…

If I remember correctly it was the standard 60/70s Navy Gull Grey scheme. I have not actually looked at it in six years.

No worries - fiddling with them now, as was curious. Here’s the preview:

1 Like

2 Likes

It was a long hard road, but together we got there.

At times, when the clouds were dark and the destination unsure, we managed to dig deep, knuckle down and fought on. The Theory of General Relativity, The Manhattan Project, perhaps even The Pyramids, all noble achievements - but this, this they will sing about long after we are gone.

We leveraged synergy, reticulated splines and battled hard. When they said it couldn’t be done, that it was a goal too far, that it was not within the limits of the human mind - we redoubled our efforts.

There is no ‘I’ in mediocrity, there are two 'I’s! I just counted them.

4 Likes

Looks good on the SU-25! Maybe the USAF should buy some when they finally kill off the hog?

Congratulations everyone.

Now - in keeping with the template that seems to be the standard in DCS third party development - I’m sad to announce that I’m going to have to break up the team. I’ve already spent all of the donation money on “team building” exercises in Las Vegas, and I’ve decided to sell the A-6 module assets to Fighter Ops to speed their development.

BUT…if you act now and continue to donate to our Paypal account, I can give you guys Tier 3 and Tier 4 access to the Mudspike Fighter Ops A-6 module which will include a t-shirt at Tier 3, and a chance to buy me lunch at Tier 4.

We are going places folks. Get onboard before it’s too late.

BeachAV8R

4 Likes

You ought to show a little more aggression against the community. Can’t leave without some serious drama and insults!

4 Likes