C-C-Changes

That was a lightswitch moment in my DCS time. Such an amazing help and resource. It really cannot be stressed just how useful and well written that was. :clap:

4 Likes

That was a case of a forum post that became an article, so due to recursion we can’t make it a forum post again? :slight_smile:

My thinking is that for really good things like this they sort of get highlighted in the Articles section, so of like a ‘too good a post to miss’ sort of thing, but without the hassle of having to convert it to a wordpress format etc.

6 Likes

I am available over the next 2 weeks to start moving some of these. I can’t do all of 'em, but I can put some time into it.

1 Like

Sir, yessir! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

its quite good. and thx to all involved for moving it. I like to re-read the articles from time to time.

3 Likes

It’s mainly @Fridge currently going crazy on buttons in wordpress, exporting away like a trooper. The rough plan I think is to get all the content across first and then tidy it up as we go at a later time (e.g. fixing up the images to look nicer, weird links etc). The articles site is planned to go dark late January.

5 Likes

Dude’s a Christmas miracle! :+1: :santa:

3 Likes

Whew! Me too. My God. I thought the forum community was going away from a piece I read on another site.

2 Likes

As @Fridge is getting close to migrating all the articles using sheer force of will and Bits of Python (coincidently his Magic Mike audition name), I’m starting to futz around with some #articles homepage and style changes. The site might look weird for a bit but this is completely normal. We’re not going to leave it looking odd, just more to try a few things currently.

20 Likes

You Guy’s are True Warriors for Our Community.Thank You

2 Likes

@Fridge / @fearlessfrog - My article on DCS AAA was recently ported in and I am wondering if it would be good to merge with the original forum thread that it came from.

Not sure what various permissions are between the categories, it appears I could still update the original thread but not the article copy.

Just a thought that came to mind as it is essentially duplicate content.

5 Likes

I think we’re ok with it being duplicate for now, as really the short-term goal is just to preserve the existing articles at www.mudspike.com before it gets turned off in about 4 days. Maybe just put a link/note to it in the first post of the #flight-sims topic. In terms of images etc, the forum doesn’t duplicate and just references existing so no extravagances there.

4 Likes

I added a brief note at the top of the Articles post to, hopefully, address any confusion. If I can remember, I will come back to it later and see if I can merge it.

1 Like

I need to do a quick test of some image upload changes. To do that I need to disable user uploads for about 20 mins, as there’s a risk that while I am brewing some concoction those images will be lost to the ether for all time.

This is the 15 minute warning, if you’re currently editing any posts. Sorry and thanks!

EDIT: Ok, all done. All good now.

7 Likes

Ok, the three pronged Trident of Change :trident: (I just made that up) has finally been completed on our mini site reorg. Pour one out for our trusty main site, that is now floating to Valhalla in a Mk.80 shaped canoe, awaiting people to narrowly miss it with flaming arrows as they didn’t set the QFE correctly on their bow. :tumbler_glass:

To recap, the changes were:

1. Reduced storage of mainly images. Done, and we’re slimmer by about 50% storage size. We can finally see our toes and it will help the ongoing use of storage as things are compressed within a metric inch of its life (without looking too lossy).

2. Sunset’d the original www.mudspike.com site. If you pay it a quick visit you can work out where it goes now. Goodbye old friend and hopefully your spirit will live on in the new #articles lookie-likey revamp. It’s not impossible it’ll come back one day.

3. Change storage provider. Didn’t really happen, but not for the case of trying. Will revisit one day.

Huge thanks to @Fridge for the bulk of the articles work. We really didn’t want to lose anything, so if you see anything odd around the site please ping @moderators.

Cheers and long live Mudspike! I’ll see you all again in the summer :sun_with_face:

24 Likes

It’s looking great! Thanks a lot for the work to all involved :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s summer in Australia and New Zeeland, now.
You’re going there, right? Riiight?

Dammit! We need a new lens on this Froglamp…

Im So Ready Comic Con GIF

4 Likes

You could always try the Froghorn…… :thinking:

7 Likes

Yeah, but light travels faster than sound…

6 Likes

You guys are doing an absolute drop dead incredible job of reorging the site but why?

What happened to Beach?

3 Likes